1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A Tribute to My Shinies; 12 Years of Collecting

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by Talon1017, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon1017

Talon1017 Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    [​IMG]

The ever elusive Shiny Pokémon have dazzled us since they were first implemented in Pokémon Gold and Silver back when they were released in 1999 (2001 for those of us in North America) with the red Gyarados found at Lake of Rage. When my friends and I were playing the games, we had no idea Shinies existed. The Gyarados glittered, but we thought that was it ... that there was nothing too special.

My Journey as a Shiny collector started with a Weepinbell.

Gen 2

# 1 Weepinbell

I was playing the first Pokémon Version I had ever bought, my Gold Version on my Gameboy Color and I was letting my younger sister watch as I played and I was explaining to her how the game worked. I had just turned 11 at the time and she was 7 at the time. I was on the patch of land on Route 44 between Mahogany Town and Ice Cave. I remember running into a Tangela first and explaining to my sister why I was beating it. I reached the end of the grass and ran into my second Pokémon of the area when a flash of sparkles glittered. I had to ask my sister if she saw that. We were both stunned. I had happened upon a Weepinbell which was much paler in colour then it usually should be. I caught it and when I took it out of the PC, I noticed it had a little star beside it just like the Gyarados. I realized then that I might be able to find more of them.

Now, I didn't have internet access back then (until about a year ago to tell the truth), so I didn't know I had stumbled upon what will eventually be named a Shiny Pokémon. My mother was adamant about me not being allowed to take my Gameboy to school, so I couldn't show my friends, but when I told them about it, no one would believe me. My sister and I nicknamed it a Sparkly Pokémon due to the sparkles it emitted when it entered battle. To this day, I still show her all the Shinies I have caught and we remember the first one.

I was taking on the Elite Four with my Weepinbell and a Raikou when the game decided it hated the Gameshark I was borrowing and restarted ... I had no clue it would do that back then and I was distraught that I lost my special Weepinbell, but I remember him every time I find a new Shiny.

# 2 Ledyba

A couple years passed and I had bought a Gameboy Advanced and the Sapphire Version as well as Silver and Crystal. One Saturday morning, I was playing Crystal again, and I happened upon a Shiny Ledyba. I would have missed it had it not sparkled like it did. It was a paler orange colour instead if its usual red. To this day she is still in my Crystal Version sitting in a box somewhere. It is unfortunate that I am unable to transfer it into the recent generations.

Gen 3

#3 Tentacool

Lets go ahead a couple more years and I entered into High School. I was shy and rarely talked to anyone and was absorbed in my studies. When I was finished my homework. I would play my Pokémon games. I never really ventured into any other games, it was just my Pokémon. By now, I had added Ruby, Emerald and LeafGreen to the mix.

I was absently playing through my Sapphire Version in the route beside Slateport City with all the powerful currents. I was exploring the area trying to find my way around to get all the items (I've always been a bit of a pack rat with those >.< ) when I stumbled upon the Tentacool. I was so excited and I caught it right away. I traded it to my Emerald Version and it currently resided in my Black2 Version.

#4 Tentacruel

About this time I discovered the internet on the school computers and found the name Shiny for these Pokémon. I also stumbled upon a glitch with the Emerald Version that allowed me to duplicate the Shiny Tentacool and evolve one up to a Tentacruel. It is currently in my Black2 Version and is around level 72 or so.

I met a friend around this time as well who was collecting Pokémon as well. She had already found her own Shiny Slugma, Golbat, and Delibird. In the time that we talked before she graduated (she was in the year ahead of mine) she found and caught a Phanpy and Rhyhorn within an hour of each other and in the Safari Zone of her Emerald Version. It made me want to find them all the more.

#5 Diglett

When I was in Grade 12, I learned about the concept of a Nuzlocke, and decided to try one with my LeafGreen version. I started with a Charmander and worked my way through the game. I never did finish it and lost interest around Blaine's Gym, but I did have several memorable moments.

I had already lost my Charmeleon then to a Hiker and I had defeated Lt. Surge before heading on my way to get the HM for Flash. I headed into Diglett Tunnel and started walking. I was waiting for a Diglett to come up. I kept walking and walking with nothing in sight. I remember thinking about how unusual it was that I wasn't coming across anything. The ladder for the exit to the tunnel was in sight when I finally came across something. I was shocked and surprised to discover that the first Diglett I ran into in the cave was a Shiny with a blue nose!

I had been naming my Pokémon in that run after Transformers (I had a female Butterfree named Demolisher >.< ) and I nicknamed my Diglett Mirage. He is currently in my Black2 Version awaiting to be transferred into my Y Version.

Gen 4

# 6 Gyarados

As life continued on, Nintendo gave us the Gameboy DS. With it, I bought Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver and HeartGold.

For pure nostalgic purposes, I kept the Gyarados from my first run-through of my SoulSilver Version and sent it into Black2 with the others.

# 7 Linoone

Found in SoulSilver as well, I ran into a Linoone in the post game. I absolutely loved how the Pokémon could follow you around and the sprite that followed you could retain the colours of the actual Shiny Pokémon! I wish GameFreak would bring that feature back. It was one thing I really loved about that game.

When I obtained my Black Version, I went to move my Linoone into it and couldn't find it. I was all panicky as I searched the game. It took me a while to remember the Pokewalker that had come with he game (the battery was beyond dead by then) and I was able to use the force code to get Linoone back.

The Linoone is special to me as a few months ago I was working on a Nuzlocke for SoulSilver and Emerald on my original DS when the gameboy and both games got stolen. They have yet to be recovered and I doubt I will ever see them again. I miss both games as I took care not to damage them, even if they were outdated. In compensation for them being stolen, I was able to get both X and Y and only pay and extra $13 on them.

Linoone is currently in Pokémon Black2.

Gen 5

# 8 Bouffalant

We move ahead into Unova as I bought Black and Black2. I went through Black a couple times with no incident. I was on Victory Road in Black2 when I came across my Bouffalant. I had to use Magneton to Paralyze it before I could capture it. He will be sent to Pokémon Y when I manage to get around to getting the transfer.

# 9 Mienfoo

I decided to restart Black again except this time I was going to do a single type challenge. I chose several Poison types and I was working on them when I battled a Sawsbuck and a Meinfoo at Dragonspiral Tower. I was surprised to find that the Mienfoo was blue and white instead of it's usual tan and pale red-pink colour. I managed to faint the Sawsbuck and captured the Meinfoo.

# 10 Gible

The Gible was given to me once I defeated the Black Tower in Black City. I hadn't been on the internet to read about receiving that Shiny in Black2, but I was happy to obtain it.

Gen 6

# 11 Reuniclus

And this brings us up to the release of Pokémon X and Y.

I decided Y would be my regular run through and X would be my Nuzlocke. I got through Y without incident until I got to the Friend Safari. I had bred a Scyther to have Silver Wind that I could couple with it's Nature and it's Technician ability, and I was EV training it in Special Attack. I was taking on a Psychic type Friend Safari when I came across a Duosion. This is the first of my Shinies I have allowed to evolve, and I love Reuniclus's shade of blue much better than Duosion's.

# 12 Ralts and # 13 Crustle

These two were part of a Pokémon contest on the Lake Valor forum. I entered halfheartedly knowing my luck at such things is usually not very good ... and was surprised to see I came in 3rd place. There were ten Shiny Pokémon to choose from and I was able to figure out which four would be taken before I got to them. While waiting for the first place winner to make his choice, I settled on these two.

The Ralts had been born in Lumiose City and was lv. 1 when I got it. No doubt she was part of either breeding or a search for a Shiny ... I made an inaccurate assumption which has been corrected. She was bred for the Contest in hopes that someone would enjoy raising her. I fully intend to remember the kindness and generosity behind such an act. It means she is all the more special for being there to make another person happy.

The Crustle was caught in a Friend Safari by the very guy who was putting on the contest.

I intend to train them and take care of them, and remember those who could have hoarded them, but decided to make someone else happy instead.

#14 Wingull

Caught two nights ago, Wingull is my 14th shiny. I stumbled upon him in my Y Version as part of a horde and am happy to have him on my team.

And that sums up how I found my collection. There are a few Shinies I have that I don't count as True Shinies because I hunted for them (all water types ...), or they were event Shinies, or, I failed to catch that one ... These are my True shinies as they appeared when I least expected them to.

2. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Actually, I bred the Ralts for the sake of the giveaway and wasn't looking for a male. It wasn't just a throwaway shiny we decided to giveaway, it was something specifically bred for the purpose of being given away. It has almost flawless IVs, if I remember correctly, and is Timid nature to benefit Gardevoir, as Timid nature is absolutely awful for Gallade. We don't giveaway Pokémon that should be scrapped.

Talon1017 likes this.
  3. Talon1017

Talon1017 Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I stand corrected and shall treasure her even more. Thank you. I shall go back and remove my assumption. I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent. I didn't know you had done that for the contest.

All my shinies are special to me. I wasn't aware of the whole story. As you intended, I believe I have my answer and I will train her up to be a Gardevoir.

The reason I drew this is because I rarely seem to have any luck with anything, and these Pokémon are part of what little luck I do have. They also hold special memories.

4. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    Thats so weird, I had the same thing happen to me in the Emerald safari zone. It was a shiny Sunkern and Wooper. I have the Sunkern as a Sunflora on Black 2 and I gave the Wooper to my friend who still has it to this day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Talon1017 likes this.
  5. Talon1017

Talon1017 Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    That was really nice of you to share it. I came across a Heracross in my Emerald, but it was in the Safari Zone and ran immediately after popping out of the ball I used on it ... I can't count it in my group as I didn't actually catch it ...

6. Pyramid King

Pyramid King Just checking on things

Egg
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.6
    Nice collection I wish I could make something like that but I have to many.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mars

Mars Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽11.6
    That's great art; congratulations! I've only found one shiny, it was a Marill. Unfortunately, it was in the Safari Zone. You can guess what happened there.

Also, who makes the signatures for the staff?

8. Talon1017

Talon1017 Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Thanks. :-) I'm still on the hunt for a Ledyba and Weepinbell to represent my first ones in my X and Y. I do have Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina as Event Shinies I managed to snag. I also have 6 Water types from using the fishing method in Pokémon Y that I'm not counting as Legit Shinies.

Thanks :) That really does suck ... I happened upon a Heracross in my Emerald Version Safari but it ran immediately after I threw the first ball at it, so I understand.

I honestly have no idea ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.