1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Blog Advice to students entering their first semester in college

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vigilance, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    So I'm pretty much done and dusted with my first semester and am sitting at roughly a 3.0 out of 4 GPA wise. I write this thread not for pity but because I've never had someone older than me be able to give me tips for this new chapter in my life and it angers me sometimes because I'm making mistakes that I can't fully rectify so here goes; some advice for future first semester college students so you never have to make the same mistakes as me

To give you an idea of where I stand: I'm behind on pre-requisites (class you MUST have to get into a certain major) to get into my University's business school and more so, my first semester GPA pales in comparison to the Business school's median of 3.50. I have 1 more semester to raise my GPA to give myself a competitive shot at applying.

Tip 1 - Classes to take
    If you know what you want to be/what your major is, talk to an academic advisor early on and figure out what classes you HAVE to take to to be on course. Then take those and surround them by GPA boosters (classes that are easy As). I know college is supposed to be about exploring material you're "interested" in but I did that, didn't get As in them and now my GPA is tanking. As nice as it is, graduate schools are more interested in your GPA so do what you can to buff it up. That said, take easy classes but make sure they have some real world/modern relevance.

Tip 2 - Go to class
    Seriously, if you need a day off...Suck it up. I missed a bunch of classes this semester because I needed to recoup from a tough week and the thing is, teacher's don't care (at least not at my university). Find ways to build relaxing moments in a day and use that time effectively. Don't be like me and take a whole day off (repeatedly) because it only hurts you in the long run.

Tip 3 - Be the professor's pet
    Like seriously, professor's have the power over you here so sit at the front, answer a ton of questions, ask good questions (even if you know the answers already), go to office hours, talk to them routinely, pay full attention in their lectures and so on. It works wonders for your grades and some teachers will even bump your grade up a bit cause they've enjoyed you as as a student. In a perfect world, this kinda sucking up won't be necessary but a lot of teachers will short change you in grades for "class participation" and so on if you don't so save yourself here.

Tip 4 - Be organized
    Planners, wall calendars, whiteboard, blackboard, pink board, forum board... bottom line: Organize yourself whatever it takes. I can't tell you how disgusted I feel knowing that missing a couple assignments due to sheer forgetfulness actually is lowering my grade with a really bad cumulative effect. Even in some classes where I know the material well but forgot to due a redundant assignment, it still hurt me. So DO you work and DO be organized.

Tip 5 - Get help if you need it.
    You're smarter if you ask other students, professors, teaching assistants, tutors and so on for help even if it's a stupid question. Be the person that asks a thousand stupid questions and then doesn't get them wrong on tests. Even if you have to ask the equivalent of 1+1 for your subject, ask it and THEN ask why it equals 2 so you never forget it. It helps in life.

I'll be honest. I've been so stressed due to first semester of college (I've even been less online here) but in the end, I made a ton of mistakes. No matter what, you can still learn from them and you should so you don't repeat them. I urge you all to see if you can learn from mine. If you'd like to share your experiences, feel free to do so below!

some of what I wrote might sound a bit extreme and may vary based on how your personality is/where you're studying and what you're studying. My advice that I'm offering is based off my experience so just keep that in mind haha

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,549.0
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Well, i just finished my semester, and I have to agree with these tips. Things like taking breaks in your own free time and being a professor's pet do work wonders. I know by experience. Sadly, no one was there to give me tips either, so I made a few mistakes here and there. For example, I wasn't very organised, so some of my works were handed in late. Anyway, anyone who's very young and decides to start their college life is bound to make a few mistakes here and there. Every one does, we just need to learn from them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Agreed on all counts, though to be fair I haven't had a single prof who didn't care about what their students were going through, but I think that has more to do with the type of college I'm attending. It's especially important to get help - you're not going to get everything right, even in subjects you're familiar with.

In addition, if you have a paper for your class, the earliest you can start on it, the better off you'll be. This is especially true for research papers. Start early, do your research, and make sure you get help on them (especially with the Chicago style; that is probably the toughest one to get right).