1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal All That Glitters is Gold

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by RadEmpoleon, May 13, 2019.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Only shooting stars break the mold

Another gameplay journal from yours truly. Again, it’s just a normal playthrough, no nuzlockes or challenges. I’ve actually never played through Johto before, so I’m very unfamiliar with everything. This will be fun.

Starting off where I last saved, I was in the Sprout Tower. I already picked my starter, Chikorita. Turns out, I forgot to save the last time I played. I’d gotten through the Sprout Tower, went to the Ruins of Alph and caught an Unown, and traded a Bellsprout for an Onix. So I had to redo all of that, much to my dismay. Nevertheless, I still did, and I did find an Unown with the same type hidden power. (It was HP Ground.)
    [​IMG]
    Team: Chikorita, Pidgey, Rattata, Unown G, Onix

Today, I just did a bit of grinding, mostly for Onix’s sake to help me beat Bugsy/Falkner. Idk who’s first, please don’t spoil.
    [​IMG]
    Team: Onix, Pidgey, Rattata, Unown G, Chikorita

Oh, and my character is named Burrito and my rival is Taco.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RadEmpoleon

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    I’m finally back!

So here’s where I left off:
    [​IMG]
    Onix (Rocky), Pidgey, Rattata (Ratical), Unown G (Good Grief), Chikorita.

I didn’t take many pictures today, but I caught a Caterpie (and later a level 5 Metapod) and added that to the team. I also went back to the Ruins of Alph to catch a HP Rock Unown to help with the first 2 gyms and replaced Good Grief, who had HP Ground. (I also happened to find one with HP Ice, which may be helpful at some point.)

[​IMG] Metapod had exactly 666 Exp. Points. Good thing I checked- I never would’ve known!

[​IMG]
    My team at the end of day 1:
    Pidgey, Onix (Rocky), Rattata (Ratical), Chikorita, Metapod, Unown E (E). I hope to evolve Metapod, Chikorita, and/or Pidgey soon. Probably in that order.

So more grinding, then Metapod finally evolved![​IMG]

After everyone on my team was at least level 10, I went in the gym and defeated Falkner.
    [​IMG]
    And yes, I used my Chikorita to fight his Pidgeotto. Reflect and Growl work well together, so that the Gust attacks wouldn’t do as much damage despite being super effective. However, we were speed tied (which was weird) but luckily when the Reflect wore off, I was able to go first and knock out the Pidgeotto.

My Onix (the one that you trade in Violet City) won’t listen to me sometimes. It’s only level 11 at the moment. What should I do about it?

I taught Flash to Butterfree and went in the Dark Cave. I vaguely remember hearing that Dunsparce can rarely be found, so I looked it up and it had a 1% chance of appearing. I didn’t leave until I found one (which actually wasn’t too many encounters- probably 20 or less.
    [​IMG]

It also said on the website that Teddiursa had a 5% chance of appearing in the morning. Since I was playing in the morning, I figured I’d look for that too. Turns out that was only in Crystal. I’d wasted about 15 minutes trying to find one. I even found 5 Dunsparce during that time. But it wasn’t a total waste, because I hatched the Mystery Egg with the Togepi-
    [​IMG]

Then at some point Chikorita evolved-
    [​IMG]

I went to the route below Violet City (don’t know what number route) and caught a Wooper and a Mareep (that I might use on my team).

Here is where I stopped:
    [​IMG]
    Butterfree, Onix (Rocky), Bayleef, Rattata (Ratical), Pidgey, Unown E (E). E is getting replaced after the Bug type gym, probably by Mareep.

#2 Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  3. RadEmpoleon

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Wowie, has it been a while! My apologies.

I’m pretty sure I’ve played my Gold file at some point between the last post in this gameplay journal and now, but I didn’t post it. I didn’t get a true starting point for today, but it’s different from my last ending point.
    [​IMG] I replaced the Onix and Unown with Mareep and Wooper. This was my team after some grinding before the second gym: Mareep (Andre), Rattata (Ratical), Butterfree, Wooper, Bayleef, and Pidgey.
    The Bug type gym was a breeze, because of Pidgey. Mareep got some spotlight too, and was able to evolve!
    [​IMG]
    After little struggle, I defeated Bugsy.
    [​IMG]
    Then I went through Ilex Forest to Goldenrod City and then to National Park. With a bit more leveling up, Pidgey evolved as well.
    [​IMG]
    The next gym is Whitney... I know people struggled against her Miltank but I have never experienced it. Haha, this will be fun.
    [​IMG] I did the trade in the Goldenrod City department store, which was a Drowzee for a Machop. It is replacing Ratical just for this next gym. Butterfree, Bayleef, Machop (Muscle), Pidgeotto, Flaaffy (Andre), and Wooper.
    [​IMG] This happens sometimes and I’m not sure why. It’s nothing to worry about though. I just find it funny when this happens.