1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

All-Unova Team? (No Legendaries)

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by The Unknown, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Unknown

The Unknown Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Hey guys. I want to make a team with you all using only Pokémon from Unova. Our goal is to make the best team for competitive OU battling possible. I will be dating and saving our progress everyday and hopefully we will be able to improve from our stance each day in order to come up with the best possible teams.

Here's a list of things that we will be doing for the next few days (this won't be a final list, and this list isn't accurate in terms of order that each task is done).

-nominating Pokémon who could fill a spot in our party of 6 Pokémon

-cutting most of the Pokémon and creating a final list of a dozen or so Pokémon that are the most viable

If you would like to contribute, just make a post on this thread!

7/20: I am going to nominate a list of Pokémon that are viable in competitive battling (no legendaries are allowed though). Here's the list:

- Conkeldurr
    - Ferrothorn
    - Haxorus
    - Hydreigon
    - Jellicent
    - Reuniclus
    - Volcarona
    - Excadrill
    - Gothitelle
    - Bisharp
    - Chandelure
    - Cofagrigus
    - Darmanitan
    - Krookodile
    - Mienshao
    - Scrafty
    - Zoroark
    - Amoonguss
    - Accelgor
    - Archeops
    - Bouffalant
    - Cincinno
    - Druddigon
    - Durant
    - Cryogonal
    - Crustle
    - Emboar
    - Escavalier
    - Ferroseed
    - Galvantula
    - Klinklang
    - Lilligant
    - Sigilyph
    - Whimsicott
    -Carracosta

If you would like to add a Pokémon to this list, please post your suggestion on this thread and explain why the Pokémon should be on this list.

Also: anyone can participate in this thread, as long as they are interested in making this team!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fooze

Fooze Rival

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Maybe adding Carracosta to the selection might help. It can be used as a defensive tank possibly if chosen. It does have a number of weaknesses and it's moveset is a bit lacking but I do think it's definitely a Pokémon to consider.

3. The Unknown

The Unknown Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    All right. I added Carracosta to the list.

This list will of suggestions will be finalized by July 24th. If you would like to make any more suggestions, you must post them by that date. Any after won't be accepted.

On July 25th, we should begin making cuts.

I would like to remember everyone that anyone can participate as long as they are interested. Anyone can join this project during any step of the process and step out whenever that person would like to.

4. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I'm interested in helping on this team. When me start making cuts I'll be glad to help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. The Unknown

The Unknown Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Sorry for the inactivity guys! I was planning on having this being a consistent, active discussion for all battlers but i have failed as the thread's creator. I hope I can revive it!

Anyways, I'm going to start making cuts to the all-unova roster:
    1. Klinklang - Doesn't have a good offensive movepool, is outperformed by other Pokémon as a supporter, and just can't compete with elite steel types (like metagross, bronzong, etc.). He has to be cut, otherwise the All-Unova team isn't going to be good!
    2. Ferroseed - Since Ferrothorn, Ferroseed's evolution, is on this list, it's definitely okay to cut the prickly predecessor.
    3. Lilligant - This quiver dancer can only compete if the sun is out, and since that isn't an option (Ninetales isn't from Unova), Lilligant will not dominate on this team.
    If you disagree with any of these cuts, please post why! Also, anyone can make cuts to this list as long as they provide a reason for each Pokémon that they cut.

6. The Unknown

The Unknown Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Time for the next cuts:

4. Bisharp - This set up sweeper isn't very fast, has a lot of weaknesses, and its movepool isn't very strong either. Iron Head, Sucker Punch, and Low Kick are its best moves. This means it's not good enough to make the cut.

5. Accelgor - Its main perks are final gambit, spikes, and a slightly above average speed/sp.atk combo. This Pokémon is okay/good at everything, but it doesn't excel at a particular aspect of Pokémon. Ferrothorn is a better Pokémon for spikes, and there are better speedy attackers out there. Accelgor can't represent this team, so it needs to be off the list.

6. Sigilyph - This is debatable, but its main perks are its ability and cosmic power/stored power combo. Its offenses are decent, but not the best unless you use stored power. The problem with stored power is that it's a psychic type move and that isn't very good (can be countered/check easily). Also, Gothitelle is superior to Sigilyph in terms of overall offensive ability and ability to sweep.

7. The Unknown

The Unknown Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    The next set of cuts will be a little controversial, but keep in mind that only 6 Pokémon can make the roster. Please read my explanation for each cut in this post!

1. Archeops - Although deadly with 140 base attack and 110 base speed, Archeops' ability is unavoidable and causes this typical lead-terrorizer to be a liability. There are much better options as leads and as sweepers that have better movepools and don't have Defeatist.

2. Escavalier - Although it has great bulk (70/105/105) and a great base attack stat (135), Escavalier works best at trapping and forcing switches. It can't sweep due to its pathetic speed stat (20), and Durant is a superior bug/steel type that has a better ability (hustle) and better speed.

3. Crustle - As a Pokémon that can do some special things, I hesitated on cutting this Pokémon early. However, I realized that Crustle's weakpoints would make this Pokémon suffer with the top tier Pokes. It is definitely outperformed by Ferrothorn in maintaining defensive ground and tossing spikes on the enemy's field; it is arguably outperformed by Carracosta in shell smashing, which has Ice Beam in its arsenal. Shell Smash users aren't going to be used in this case, because the most viable shell smasher is Cloyster, and Cloyster isn't from Unova. This will lead to the final cut....

4. Carracosta - the 4X grass weakness is bad, but Carracosta's base speed is even worse. Shell Smashing will only make the slow turtle outrun some choice scarfed Pokémon (even with max speed EV/IV investment). Like i stated before, Cloyster is the only viable shell smasher, which is because of its ability skill link and movepool!

These cuts are about to get more controversial, so check out my next posts within the next few days!

8. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    5. Durant- For starters a x4 weakness to Fire isn't great. He has some decent offenses but when you compare them to many other powerful physical sweepers he starts to not look so great. His physical movepool isn't great either with really only four viable moves. (X-Scissor, Iron Head, Superpower, and Rock Slide) Also his HP and Sp. Def. are awful (58/48) so any special attack is bound to knock him out.

6. Bouffalant- He has some nice defenses at (95/95/95) and he has a solid 110 base attack but he is very slow. If you can switch into a grass move and activate Sap Sipper he can be a real threat, but you don't see too many grass moves in the OU tier. He isn't terrible but there are other Pokémon that I feel outclass him, like Cinccino

9. jetwhiskey

jetwhiskey Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Well, not sure if my team works for everyone else, but mine consists of Scolipede, Serperior, Braviary, Eelektross, Carracosta, and Haxorus. For additions, I believe Scolipede is great, both on offense and defense, and for being bulky it has a pretty high speed stat. It has an interesting movepool, which is great for any trainer. It's ability Poison Point can really help in a bind too, which could either poison the foe, or force them to use non-contact moves, and Scolipede is strong against energy-based moves (other than fire types like flamethrower). Braviary is a good flying type, and like Staraptor it can learn Close Combat and Brave Bird, very strong and useful moves. It's stats may not be the best out of flying types, but if trained correctly you can boost those stats to be quite the powerhouse, not to mention it's very fast too. Power + Speed = One deadly Pokémon. Lastly, I think you should add Eelektross, for two good reasons: Though it may be a pure electric type, it's ability Levitate makes this Pokémon resistant to it's only weakness, ground, meaning no super-effective hits towards it. Secondly, it has a large variety of moves, and can learn several physical and energy based attacks. Volt switch can come in handy, but the one important move is Dragon Claw, which make it one of the few Pokémon that can stand up to dragon types without having to worry about weaknesses (Dragons beat dragons, dragons can use fire moves on ice types, making it difficult to go up against). If those two reasons weren't enough, it's stats are great all around, with it's lowest stat being either Health or Defense, but not by much.

I think cutting Carracosta was a bad move, because even though the stats show it has a 4x weakness, you seem to forget the best part about it...it's abilities are Solid Rock and Sturdy (I'd go with Solid Rock, which reduces the damage done by super-effective attacks), making it even more of a tank. Most think that it's sluggish, but actually it's quite fast when given the correct moveset, and don't try and tell me that it's movepool isn't great, because there are so many awesome moves you can teach it through TM/HM and/or Tutor. The moves it gains through level are pretty good as well, but the move Shell Smash is a complete joke, and useless for any Pokémon, including Cloyster.

The thing you have to remember about Defensive tanks is that you don't want to give them any defensive moves, because their stats more than make up for that...Carracosta is a Pokémon that needs heavy hitting attacks, if you waste those 4 slots on any defense or status moves then you'll just be putting it to death from the start. Currently, my Carracosta (in-game) knows Surf, Strength, Smack Down, and Bulldoze. The first two can be swapped out for better moves when going for competitive battles, but the moves themselves aren't horrible.

The biggest issue I notice when people build their teams is that they really don't know much about the Pokémon they are selecting, and most people want to use moves that go with the typing of the Pokémon...big mistake. When choosing a team, it's good to make sure you have variety, and that when selecting for a whole team to make sure that all the members can cover each others weaknesses..if you choose two or three Pokémon with the same stats and weaknesses, then your opponent can catch you off guard. The same goes for movesets, don't just choose the moves that best fit the type (Like giving a water/rock type just water and rock moves), give them moves that will cover their own weaknesses. The best example I can give is of my Scolipede, a Bug/Poison type...it's weaknesses are to Fire, Flying, Rock, Psychic, and Ground. So, to cover both it's strengths and weaknesses, I have it's moves set at Poison Tail, Steamroller, Rollout, and Bulldoze. There's not much she can do against ground types, so you just hope for the best, but Rollout should take care of flying types, while it and Bulldoze should work on fire, while the bug move Steamroller should take out psychics if you get it in first.

PS. sorry for the really long post, just thought you'd like alot of info to help on teambuilding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.