1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Anti-piracy screens

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by RadEmpoleon, Feb 12, 2021.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    A few months ago there were a bunch of "anti-piracy screens" going around showing scenes from games that would happen if you had a pirated or illegal copy of the game. The Mario Party "Piracy is no party" ones were especially popular.

Obviously these are fanmade and not actually included in the games.

What are your thoughts on the anti-piracy screens? Do you think any of these could actually appear in a game?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    While I knew all the fuss about the anti-piracy screens were fake, there have always been numerous and ingenious ways pirates were punished which are of note.

From locking out the gliding ability in Batman: Arkham Asylum, to increasing the amount of enemy encounters to ludicrous levels in Earthbound, to replacing all of your ammunition with literal roast chickens that deal no damage to enemies in Crysis, there are plenty of ways developers have managed to punish pirates for their actions without the need for these preachy anti-piracy screens.

(Although, if you want to get technical, games like Undertale and Just Beats & Shapes totally had these in their games.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I enjoyed seeing the creativity and competency from the creators of these screens. In particular, I enjoyed the eerie and unsettling atmospheres that they were able to pull off. Had these screens been real and I had encountered one by chance as a kid, I don't think I'd ever forget lol.

As for how believable they are? I feel many of them definitely step over an invisible boundary on what would actually happen by Nintendo and other companies. If you look at some of the old anti-piracy screens on older consoles, they are simply text and not much else.

4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I know another anti-piracy measure they have in the gen 5 Pokémon games is that your Pokémon can't get any exp. I learned that the hard way when I downloaded Pokémon black for a DS emulator and my Pokémon didn't get any exp. That's why I have to make sure that the gen 5 games have the exp patch so I can get exp

5. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,990.4
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    They're pretty cool if you ask me, but to be frank, it's starting to just feel like a new type of creepypasta. Nothing against them - obviously a lot of people put a lot of work and creative ideas into all these, but they get a little repetitive.

If you ask me, Just Shapes and Beats had the best one.
    we have detected a CHEAT yeah
    and I HOPE you WERE cheating indeed
    because this whole thing would be awkward
    and I'd be lying to say that

6. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    tbh if i was 8 and stupid and saw an anti piracy screen like these i'd not only take the game out but burn it

idk i kinda liked the beginning of the craze bc i think it had been a while since we got an actually cool creepypasta and it fit so well with the nintendo drama at the time but now i feel like im desensitized and its a dead-ish meme??? tho piracy is no party slaps hard piracy IS a party if i get to jam to that banger

but w/e i see the trend more as a mocking of said nintendo drama in a very creative way time to wait another 7 years before we get another good creepypasta

RadEmpoleon likes this.
  7. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    The best real one is from Game maker tycoon where your games made in it will eventually be pirated so much it leads to game over on a pirated copy.

Nice little reality check I think of whenever this discussion is brought up.