1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Are you trying to learn a different language?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShireHime, Aug 31, 2017.

1. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    So, quite recently, I've been trying to learn Hangul, the Korean alphabet. Are you guys also attempting to learn another language that is not your first language? If so, what language are you trying to learn, and how many things have you learned about it so far?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    guest likes this.
  2. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I took two years of French in high school and I do remember some of it.

I'd also like to learn Japanese since that's where my dad is from, but I've seen some of the lessons. Wow...that are hard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ShireHime likes this.
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    2 years of Spanish in highschool, I'm interested in learning some Japanese too.

ShireHime likes this.
  4. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,645.7
    I want to continue learning American Sign Language. It's so fancsinating

ShinigamiMiroku and ShireHime like this.
  5. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I'm actually typing this in a French classroom, I want to learn lots of French because France will be a big chunk of my Europe trip (and I need a language class for college rip). I also learned some Japanese a few years back, I don't remember much but I have retained a handful of words and how to read the hiragana alphabet.

As for French, all I know is how to say hello and goodbye, stuff like that. My sister knows a lot more about the language, though.

ShireHime likes this.
  6. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I took a French class in middle school, and I barely remembered any of it... So when the opportunity to go the France sprang up, I had to relearn the essentials.

ShireHime likes this.
  7. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Nice, I'm also trying to learn Hangul! My parents both speak German though, so right now that's a priority for me. I took a couple years of Spanish so I want to continue learning that, but I'd also like to try Japanese? It's a lot :sweat:

8. ShinyDewott

Vanity
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽54.9
    I want to learn sign languages too! I think it'll be very useful when working. It makes it easier for me to communicate with people who use sign languages.

9. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I do want to learn how to read, understand, write, and speak in new languages but I'm not really actively practicing as much as I'd like for it to count as legitimate studying. Sometimes I'll learn new words and phrases but they don't stick for the most part. I took French in High School and since I stopped using the language as much and didn't keep up with it, I lost a lot of what I previously retained and only remember some things with the language. xD

10. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I grew up on both English and Hebrew, though I haven't used the latter in years so it's a fair bit rusty. I also took Spanish in middle- and high-school, but I didn't live near a lot of Hispanic people so I never got the chance to develop it properly (it didn't help that I was suffering from major depression).

Several years ago, I took a non-credit course in Japanese. It's a tough language, especially once you've gotten past hiragana/katakana and into kanji, but I enjoyed it a lot.

11. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I've taken Korean for two years in seventh grade and ninth grade before transferring high schools (it's complicated). I can read Hangul fluently, but I can't speak it, so it's kinda useless LOL I'm also in my second year of learning Italian, but I know virtually nothing, so... I also know Patwa? Which is a dialect, not it's own language, but ya know.

guest likes this.
  12. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Trying To Learn Japanese.Some Of The Word I Learn From Pokémon Anime(Mostly,From Pokémon XY And Z Japanese Ver.)

13. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,645.7
    It has been quite help for me at my job. The closest city, Rochester, is home to a large Deaf community.

14. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I once took a few Spanish courses when I was younger. Now, the only things I remember from that are how to recognise a few verb conjugations and Latin verb roots; I otherwise remember essentially nothing from them. A part of me would like to know Japanese (if only so I could understand what's going on in a lot of video game clips I sometimes watch), though I know I wouldn't want to put in the time or effort to really do so.

A language that I would probably have the highest chance of learning and retaining would actually be Braille. I've memorised the alphabet almost perfectly, so after that I would need to learn the common words or diphthongs and I would essentially be set. I am not at all sight-impaired (it's exactly the opposite; my vision is extremely good), but I honestly believe that the ability to fully read Braille (as opposed to just partially) would be a phenomenal asset, if only to say that I can read with my eyes closed.

15. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    Ohoo, a couple others learning Korean here!
    I've pretty much cracked Hangul but beyond reading and spouting numbers and short phrases I have nothing to show for yet haha;; I work with quite a lot of Koreans so I can get listening practice in and ask questions here and there but i'm having a hell of a time trying to structure learning vocabulary.. >>
    I used to study German and got quite good at it but five years without any usage at all has left me with squat;; A shame really, It would've been useful to me now!

16. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I learned Japanese for 2 years and I'm still terrible at it XD

I want to learn German, as that's where half my family is from. I haven't gotten around to learning too much of it, but I started a few lessons on Duolingo and some of my old experience with speaking it when I was younger is coming back to me.

17. PokemonGuardian2000

Pidgeotto
    (Pidgeotto)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽74.2
    I am learning polish. I was born in poland, and adopted from poland. I know some words in polish. I am taking lessons on duolingo.

A w in polish is prnounced like the letter v. In polish the adjective comes before the noun.

18. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I took French in school as it was required here, but otherwise no.

19. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I want to learn Japanese and German, one for my occupation the other for pleasure (guess which one is which). I'd be great at it too, I could probably speak fluently in both languages since I'm an auditory learner, however, I'm afraid to take classes. The main reason I'm so afraid is because I can barely read English as it is with my reading disability. Throwing other languages into the mix I feel will only hurt my overall experience. This is why I took American Sign Language as my foreign language so I didn't have to read. I loved ASL and the culture behind it. I want to learn more but the reading gap, I fear, is too great.

20. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I wish everyone learning another language the absolute best of luck. Languages are wonderful and I wish I lived long enough to learn them all! haha

Right now I'm fluent in English and Russian, with the latter being my first language. Lately I've taken a huge interest in French and am very interested in living in Montreal or Quebec City for a while for some immersion (after having gone to both recently). Took three semesters of it in uni but that didn't stick due to lack of immersion /=