1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ash, are you still 10?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Juju, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juju

Juju Psychic

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Okay LV. Let's think about this. The first episode aired on April 1st, 1997. This day was Ash's tenth birthday. The year is 2013. Is he still 10? Or is he 17? I want to hear from you! Do you think Ash is still 10 or do you think he's 17?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I think he's around whatever age they decide he is, it's not too important how old he is. Even if they said he's 17 he's still going to act like a little kid, in my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Juju

Juju Psychic

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    The only reason why I think they're keeping him at ten is so the viewers can relate with him. (Even though he has such a plain personality.)

4. Shadow Blaze

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I agree with Achromatic. Ash is whatever age the writers choose to make him. So far they've kept him at age ten, which is a little annoying, but it doesn't matter that much.

5. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Yeah, this. It's also why the Pokémon show has kept basically the same format of events for over 10 years now. They expect a high turnover rate of viewers as it's meant to be a children's show, so they keep a lot of things static so that new viewers can get the same experience from the show. Saw an interview about it a few months back and one of the head creators of the show said basically just that.

6. Pixil

Pixil Pokémon Professor

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.7
    I believe they announced in the first episode of the Unova anime that he is still ten. If Ash did grow up, they'd lose the younger audience. They're trying to keep refreshing their audience; constantly bringing in little kids rather than holding onto the current fans who are growing up. Which is basically what Doima said. Ash also remains clueless in every new season for the sake of feeding old information to new viewers so they can be informed without having to watch older seasons. Not ideal for older fans, but they're more concerned about bringing in new fans (namely kids). If they suddenly made Ash older and made the show more "mature" and less childish, they would confuse a lot of the younger audience; which they probably see as losing many many viewers.

That's just what I think.

7. Pyramid King

Pyramid King Just checking on things

Egg
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.6
    If ash is 17 right now hes a short 17 year old.

8. Aero

Aero Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    He's definitely still 10. He's been the same height and size all these years, the only thing that's changed is how much hair he has on his head (it's like a big bush now, he needs a haircut).

9. EmeraldGlee

EmeraldGlee DESPAIR FOR ME!

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    It's kinda funny how I remember him growing up during the Orange Islands-Hoenn arc. It would be an awesome fanfiction to have Ash's weird aging as the main plot. :)

10. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    The old classic "coma theory" fanfiction touches on that. He never ages because it's a dream in his head, where he is ten and gets to stay the same age on a Pokémon adventure forever.

11. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    I'm not too big on the coma theory, tbh. I dunno, I just don't like it. I'm leaning more to time travel, or Pokémon god intervention, or something that makes his adventures still true and not just in his imagination. It's quite sad if he just dreamt everything.

Oh hey! How can we explain Ash's non-aging that still factors in his adventures?

12. Shadow Blaze

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    Oh man... I honestly hate that theory... I've heard of so many better ones. My favorite of those "better theories" is the one concerning Oh-Ho. You know how Ash saw Oh-Ho in the very first episode of the anime? In the Poke'Dex it mentions Oh-Ho granting eternal happiness to whoever sees it. The theory says that Ash's idea of eternal happiness could have been traveling with his Pokémon forever. Therefore, he seized aging and was able to continue his journey with Pikachu.

Isn't that more exciting that him just laying there sleeping? I like to think that everything in the anime actually happened rather than having that stupid "and it was all a dream" ending.

13. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    Even if Ash was to age, his bland, clueless character is unsalvageable. I'm not really sure why everyone really cares about Ash, since his value as a character isn't that great. He's been around for a while but that only highlights the annoying parts about him because they never go away. He doesn't develop as a character at all.

As far as I care, the creators of the anime can keep up Ash and his annoying antics if they're really interested in focusing on a young target audience. In parallel, another anime with different characters (that age and develop physically as well as mentally) would provide a fresh start for the whole 'Pokémon anime' entity. Ash and his band of forever-young misfits can keep doing what they're doing, while the new anime opens itself up to more complex and mature stories.

14. Fooze

Fooze Rival

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I agree with Doima. They kept him at that age so that the new viewers can relate and experience the same thing we've experienced over the years of watching the show. Pokémon needs to generate a new fan-base in that of the younger viewers. Then when they are older, they'll be doing around about the same thing we do - competitive battling, participating in Pokémon forums etc.

So yeah, what Ben said, Ash is whatever age they decide he is.

15. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Now if they could make an anime of the Pokémon Special manga...

16. Stormageddon

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I second this. Ash got what he wanted, which was to travel with Pokémon... FOREVER! *evil laughs*

17. Woohoobat

Woohoobat Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    In my opinion, he seems to be about 15-ish. He's somewhat taller and his voice has changed. I=He's still voiced by a girl though XD

However, this reminded me of a question someone asked "Ash Ketchum" on Tumblr:

Anonymous asked: When will you turn 11?

Ash-ofpallet answered: I'm not entirely sure. The first time I turned ten, I ran down the stairs to greet my mother. I was so excited! Double digits! The next year I ran down again. "Oh. This is awkward," my mother said to me. Again on the cake: 10 candles. 10 candles every year. I don't know what it measures. It's not the number of times I've been around the sun. It isn't the moons I've seen or the places I've been or the people I've met. It isn't days, weeks, months, or coffee spoons. It isn't how many times I've run down the stair to count the candles. It is just some number that follows me, and I've grown accustomed to not even counting anymore. I just close my eyes and exstinguish the flames to a wish that never comes true. -Ash, age 10

This doesn't sound at all like Ash, but it's interesting.

18. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Probably still 10. What if the Pokémon anime continues for over 50 years? :o Then Ash would be an old man. :P (It's pretty unlikely for a TV series to last that long though, lol)

19. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I... I'M MAKING A YOUTUBE VIDEO ABOUT THIS, OKAY???

No but seriously, I am making a rant video about the mystery surrounding Ash's age. It'll explain everything.
    (just wait for it, I'm kind of lazy with the video's lately :) )

20. 8-Bit-Eevee

8-Bit-Eevee Crow of the Tempest

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Actually, Ash also grew teeth. If you compare photos of him with his mouth open from Gen 1 and I think starting at Gen 5, he has a set of teeth in the later pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.