1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Your Resident Physicist Questions

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by ID Zeta, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Mango

Mango Hiker

Chimchar
    (Chimchar)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽32.8
    In your opinion what is the most interesting concept in physics

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    I've answered this a few times, I think, but I'll answer it again.
    I believe that quantum mechanics as a whole is one of the most interesting aspects of physics. It's so radically different from classical intuitions and observations, but it explains so much of what we see at atomic and subatomic scales. It's arguably the most accurate piece of science ever developed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Mango likes this.
  3. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Do you prefer warm or cold weather?

4. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    Cold. It's a lot easier to deal with by just throwing on more layers of clothing.

5. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    In the interest of your life being exciting, how do you wish people would approach you in public?

What brings you the most fulfillment in your day?

6. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    Interesting questions...
    I'm an introvert, I don't necessarily want people approaching me in public. If they really wanted to, though, I'd want them to have something interesting to say.
    As for fulfillment... I want to feel like I'm making progress towards something every day. Right now, for instance, I'm setting up the apartment I'll be living in for grad school, so I'm working on finding or fixing up furniture pieces. During school, I want to feel like I'm learning and helping people out.

7. Enbuoh

SS Egg #1 Delta Plus
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽27.4
    Oran Berry ★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★
    Is your username related to the anime Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam?

Do you regret choosing to major in physics?

Are you going into a career path that involves a lot of the math involved in college level physics?

Any advice for someone (me) who has to repeat a college level physics course (electricity and magnetism, specifically) this fall that is notorious in that someone's college for being very hard no matter who's teaching it?

8. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    It is not. I picked this username out years ago, and Zeta just sounded cool at the time. Still does.

There are times when I regret choosing physics, but those times are usually when I'm suffering through a difficult assignment.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what I want to do once I'm done with my education. Hopefully, I'll find someone or something along the way that catches my attention enough to make me pursue it. It would be good if I used everything I've spent so long studying in my career.

E&M is known to be particularly... annoying. The best piece of advice I can give you (and this applies to anything school related, not just physics) is to ask a lot of questions. See when your professor has office hours, and ask them questions about whatever may be giving you trouble. Your professor is your greatest asset - use it. I can also try to help you out if you'd like.

Enbuoh likes this.
  9. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    man, blast from the past! How have you been? Anything exciting happening for you?

10. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    I've been well, thanks for asking. Grad school is on the horizon for me, which is pretty damn exciting considering how many schools turned me down.

11. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Congrats! What are you going to grad school for?

12. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    I'm earning my Master's degree in physics. In 2 years, I will be IDZeta, Master of Physics, which sounds way cooler than Doctor of Physics imo.

13. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    @ID Zeta

- How inclined would you to be to go back and change your major to English? History? Philosophy (I'm choosing languages that are reading/writing heavy)
    - What is your toughest current course?

14. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Have you ever had any surgeries?

15. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    -Honestly, not very. As much as I may enjoy writing, history, and the occasional philosophical dive, I can't see myself pursuing any of those things as a focus of study - and later, a career.
    -It's a toss-up between classical mechanics and thermodynamics, but for different reasons. In terms of content, thermodynamics is more difficult for me because I didn't have a formal thermo course in undergrad. Classical mechanics, while easier conceptually, has exams counting for 78% of my grade. I basically need to ace the next 2 exams and final to get a decent grade in this course.

-Not yet, I haven't, and I intend to keep it that way.

Vigilance likes this.
  16. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,293.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Favorite historical period?

17. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    Hmm, difficult to say. I'd like to experience the Enlightenment period of American history, perhaps.

18. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Hewwo! :3
    1. Anyway, do you know anything about astrophysics vs regular physics?

2. would you rather have a fish or a bird as a pet?

19. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    1. It's not my specialty, but I know a decent amount about a number of things. Is there something specific you're interested in, or were you just looking for a comparison?
    2. I used to have a few fish when I was in elementary/middle school, but I didn't take good care of them. I haven't thought about having fish again... I'll take fish over a bird any day. From what I know (which isn't that much, tbh), birds can be kinda difficult pets to keep.

Laserdragon14 likes this.
  20. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I was just looking for a comparison.