1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Questions of Madness

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by 8542Madness, Oct 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Really bright shades of yellow bother me. Other colors don't bother me too much.

A week or two where I don't have to think about or worry about important stuff. I'd really enjoy that. I've been so busy for so long.

A balance between the two, depending on the situation. If it's something really important, I do my best to plan ahead as well as I can. If I really have to, I can make a spur of the moment plan, but I much prefer a well thought out plan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    If you found yourself trapped in the realm of your mind, what would you suspect it to be like? Would you stay, or try to escape? If so, how would you escape?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Seprix

Seprix Patron Sint

PokéPoints:
    ₽115.8
    What is a question you wish you were asked?

4. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Haha, a good question. Truthfully, I believe everyone ends up trapped in their own minds every now and then, but only some people ever realize it. Fewer escape it consciously.

The realm of my mind is a train station. A massive train station, where the trains never stop moving and there are too many to possibly count. But I've been trapped in here before, and I know these trains of thought well. Fears, hopes, likes, dislikes, questions, solutions... all of these go flying by. If I want, I can carefully reach out and grab on as one goes by, allowing myself to be pulled along the railways of thought. Inevitably, however, I always will end up back at the train station. They always come back here.

I'd stay a while, sure. I would spend my time in thought and seek answers while I can, but I'd know that of course I must eventually leave. The real world beckons as it always does, and one cannot ignore its call forever, no matter how much we'd like to. I spent years trapped on these trains, and I learned the trick to leaving is as simple as having the will to exit the station and ignore its siren call, the allure of infinite time in thought. The determination to turn around, leave it behind for now, and face the world again: that's all you really need.

I get asked, "What?" more than I'd like. For example, "What the hell was that?" is one that gets thrown at me a lot. I'd love for, just once, someone to look at me and ask, "Why?"

You see, I operate my life under a set of strict rules that I absolutely refuse to deviate from under any circumstances with exception of the extreme and unprecedented. One of these rules is, "Act with reason," therefore everything I do, every single action I take no matter how minuscule in nature, has a purpose and reason to it. It often seems that I have done something entirely off the wall and random, but I guarantee that a purpose to the action was present. Nobody ever cares to learn it, though. I think people would be very surprised if they bothered to figure out why my actions are exceptionally unorthodox, and they might realize that I'm not nearly as stupid as I let the people around me believe I am.

That ended up a ramble, but simply being asked why I did something the way I did or what was going through my head as I did it would be nice.

5. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Halloween or New Years?

6. Darcy

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    What do you think about the correlation between 'mad' the emotion and 'mad' in meaning insanity? You spoke of being given the nickname Madness if my memory serves, so I was wondering if that dual meaning has ever bothered you.

7. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Halloween, but not by much. I've just never really been too excited about New Years coming right off Christmas. Halloween is cooler.

I think the correlation is very loose, actually. I think it's a simple case of words in English borrowing from each other and having many similarities. At the very least, I haven't been able to find a definite relation between the words historically or linguistically, and I have looked for one. I imagine it simply evolved into what it means now over time. Interestingly, madness isn't even a real medical term, actually — it's the colloquial term for insanity, and you won't find medical reports diagnosing someone with "madness" anywhere. Furthermore, medical professionals hardly ever call someone insane anymore either, as they wisely prefer to use a defined, precise psychiatric disorder rather than such a general, unspecific term.

I actually chose this username for myself. I've been given many nicknames, but this isn't one of them. That said, when I took on this username I was keenly aware of the meanings associated with it, and it's part of the reason I chose it. Wikipedia defines madness/insanity as: "a spectrum of behaviors characterized by certain abnormal mental or behavioral patterns. Insanity may manifest as violations of societal norms." It goes on a bit more, but I like that first part, and I feel as if it applies to me very well. I don't think along any of the same lines as other people tend to. It makes me very hard to predict and very likely to come up with a plan nobody has thought of before. Part of this involves completely ignoring social norms, which I understand as a concept but find to be useless to me in most situations. Following a social norm makes you predictable; breaking a norm makes you stand out as unpredictable and dangerously clever if you pull it off right. That appeals to me greatly. Hence the name Madness.

There's actually a ton of other reasons as to why I took this username, but I have a personal rule of never giving away more than one reason at a time.

8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Are you a cat, dog or bird person?

9. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Definitely a cat person. It's not that I dislike other animals or anything, but cats just appeal to me a little bit more than the others do. I get excited to play with or pet any animal, but I'd choose to own a cat before any other animal. Unfortunately where I live now does not allow cats, otherwise I'd have one right now.

Mandriel likes this.
  10. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Are you gonna get Legend of Zelda BotW?

11. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Right now? Definitely not. I simply can't afford it at the moment. On a crazy whim I budgeted the last of my savings account to go on a wild road trip adventure to California for a convention in a few weeks to meet up with some pals, so I'm completely out of money. Tightening my belt and eating lots of ramen and rice now, haha!

Once I'm past this little financial stumbling block and have a well-padded savings account again, then you can bet I absolutely intend on getting a Switch and BotW. I'm a MASSIVE fan of Legend of Zelda and I wouldn't dare miss this. Just not now while it's so expensive.

12. Darcy

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Is there anything you would go to the ends of the world to obtain? Be it some material, like a car or a video game, or something else entirely, like love, fame, or the answer to your greatest question. How far would you go to gain it?

What mythical creature do you want to be?

13. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    isn't that a bit hypocritical? green is on your profile pic XD

but anyway, how angry can you get?

14. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    There are no material possessions that I would feel the need to go to any lengths like that to acquire. Money means little to me aside from a means to acquire cool T-shirts and food. I don't understand the ideals of status that revolve around possession of currency, and I have no desire for meaningless, purposeless wealth. Immaterial things would not drive me to any extremes, either. I'm not looking for love, I don't care for fame, and my greatest question has no answer, anyway (the question is simply "Why?"). The only thing I could ever see myself going to the ends of the earth for is something that does not exist: immortality. If the secret to immortality was discovered, I can honestly say that I would not hesitate to do nearly anything required of me to obtain it for myself. Death is a constant shadow over me that I would do whatever it takes to be freed from. Over time, the world will forget whatever sins I must commit to obtain it. I hope.

I'd like to be a dragon, as I think it suits me best. I'm prideful by nature and often prefer to be alone, much like the mythical creature is often described as. I think I would be a friendly dragon of sorts, though. I'd make up riddles and puzzles for people to solve in order to earn my favor and protection or whatnot just for the fun of it, as the answers would always be bad puns or jokes that are easy to guess. I'd get a real kick out of that.

I never claimed to be an especially creative person, did I? Unless I did that somewhere and forgot. In that case, please continue ignoring my hypocrisy.

Oh boy.

I know that I am capable of an incredible rage, and that when I lose myself completely to fury then I am a force of pure destruction. When I've been in that state, I've done some truly horrific things to people. However, I do my best to not let that happen. Anger of that sort solves nothing and is unbecoming of someone like myself who promotes wisdom and mindfulness before losing oneself to emotional impulses. I try to make myself a joke of sorts in most things I do in order to take myself less seriously. The less seriously I take myself, the harder it is for me to really be enraged like that and the more wisdom I can focus on the situation.

15. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    huh, i feel you. do you transform physically when angry? Like, Super Sonic angry?

16. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I'm to go with "no" because that's literally impossible to do. The closest thing to "transformation" I do is that I stand up to my full height and square my shoulders, making myself appear much bigger and bulkier than I really am. I usually walk around with my shoulders slouched and relaxed and my back not stiff as a board, so there's a notable change when I actually try to look intimidating. Thankfully I've only had to do that a few times when talking a situation out didn't work.

17. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    never mind XD

18. Darcy

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Immortality, you say? An interesting choice. What would you do with this immortality if you had ever got the opportunity to obtain it? Do you think you would ever get bored or depressed after living for so long?

19. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Do you battle competitively? If so, what are your top five favorite Pokémon to use on the competitive scene and why?

20. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    I'd do my best to keep my immortality a secret, and I'd begin amassing a large amount of wealth through careful investments under an alias that couldn't be traced back to me. With that much financial power, I'd go across the world and find people who have the motivation and skills to make real, positive change, but lack the resources. I would contact them in secret and offer them the resources to be an instrument of change in the world, using my financial might and wisdom of (eventually) many years of experience to thrust them into the global spotlight among a carefully picked team of similar individuals. An immortal changing the world wouldn't be a real change, it just be a bunch of people listening to a more powerful being. My goal would be to promote real, mortal changes to the world that last forever. People listening to me just because I can't die means nothing. They have to change themselves. I'd simply like to help make that more possible.

I don't see myself being bored or depressed by it. Even when all my friends have died, I will have the opportunity to make new connections to the next generations forever. I'll write books about all the people I've met and notable experiences with them so that I won't ever forget them, and there will be more and more people to get to know like them in the future. I'll mourn their passing and move on to continue to fight for a better world in secrecy. Even if all of mankind eventually dies and I am the last human alive, I'll have a whole planet to explore. After that, I'll have the whole universe to explore. I doubt I'll ever get bored of that.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a competitive Pokémon player. I know the basics, but I'm not up to date with the current metagame at all and haven't practiced in months. Let me tell you about Simple Swoobat, though. Holy shit that is so much fun. Simple doubles all your stat changes, and Swoobat are capable of learning both Calm Mind and Stored Power. Swoobat, if you play carefully, can become a special defensive wall and insane special powerhouse with very respectable speed. I usually run it with a life orb and giga drain and heat wave in its other move slots. It's rare I can get this setup to actually work, but when it does I have a lot of fun with it. Nobody ever expects much from a Swoobat, hehehe