1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Your Resident Physicist Questions

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by ID Zeta, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    Ho boy. Hollywood physics is a rabbit hole that's always fun to go down. In case there are people who haven't seen The Last Jedi yet, I'll keep this as spoiler-free as I can and keep it general.
    Hollywood, particularly when it comes to action thrillers and sci-fi movies, doesn't give a damn about physics. If it makes for an intense scene, it works for them. While I'm not bothered by these, I'll go ahead and list a few unrealistic things in Star Wars (though these can extend to any space-based movie):
    -Space battles would be silent. Sound needs a medium to travel through, and space conveniently lacks any such medium.
    -Spaceships suddenly changing direction would put insane g-forces on the pilots, but they often act unaffected by them.
    -Why do all planets have Earth-like gravity and atmospheres?
    -Faster-than-light travel would require infinite energy to achieve.
    -What powers the Death Star's mega laser? On that topic, how does Starkiller Base contain the mass of a star in the volume of a planet?
    -Lightsabers are a whole topic unto themselves. As they exist in the movies, they're (currently) impossible to build. Being cut/stabbed by one would be a lot more gruesome and fiery than shown.
    -Specifically for The Last Jedi, the whole "tracking through light-speed" thing is a little odd. That's the only one that bugs me a little.
    The list goes on, but I'll stop there. There was one scene in The Last Jedi with some particularly interesting physics.
    When Captain whats-her-face sent the Rebel cruiser through Snoke's flagship at light-speed. With our current understanding of relativity, a ship going that fast would have infinite mass and, therefore, infinite momentum. We'll keep it a little more realistic and say that the ship was almost to light-speed, which would still give the ship a huge amount of kinetic energy. Snoke's ship wouldn't just have a chunk broken off of it, the whole damn thing would be in ruins, with much of it being vaporized on impact.
    Rang over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wings likes this.
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    What's your favorite thing about Christmas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    The scenery. I live in a more rural area, so I'm used to seeing hills and fields covered in perfect snow. The lights everywhere are a nice touch, too.

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  4. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Did you take AP Physics in high school? What prompted you to do so?

5. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    I don't think my high school offered AP physics. We had Honor's physics (which I didn't take for some reason), and we had IB physics (which I didn't take because I wasn't in the IB program).

6. Princess Victoria

Zelda
    (Ralts)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽231.1
    Do you think quantum mechanics is the complete truth? Is there an underlying randomness and uncertainty in nature, or is it because our instruments aren't good enough to measure things precisely?

7. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    A bit of both, in a way. Instruments can always be improved, but if the Uncertainty Principal is true, then we can never build an instrument that gives us absolute precision on more than one measurements at a time. With time, we'll be able to bridge the gap between quantum randomness and classical order.

8. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    :: Would you ever want to go hiking somewhere?

:: Do you like surprises or would you rather go without?

:: Do you ever go into rants regarding the Fast and the Furious movies?

9. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    -Possibly. I'm an out-of-shape asthmatic, which means my adventures into the wilderness would likely have to be short.

-Normally, I'm the kind of guy who wants to know exactly what I'm getting myself into. That said, pleasant surprises are always welcome, but I like to be as surprise-free as I can help.

-Aside from the usual Hollywood physics shenanigans, I haven't looked that deeply into the Fast and Furious movies to find specific things to pick apart.

10. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    What is the last movie you watched?

11. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    In a movie theater? Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
    At home? I think one of the Jurassic Parks, I can't remember which.

12. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Do you like answering or asking questions more?
    Are you superstitious?
    Would you consider yourself sassy?

13. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    -Answering, if only slightly. I'm often afraid that the questions I ask make me sound dumb.
    -Not particularly, no. Science and logic have answers to most things nowadays.
    -I can definitely be if I wanted, I just often choose not to be.

14. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    :: Do you have a particular favourite of the Jurassic Park movies?

:: Do you own an umbrella?

:: What's the wittiest thing someone's ever said to you?

15. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    -I think the original one and Jurassic World were the best so far. The second one didn't quite capture the same manic as the first, and I honestly don't remember enough of the third to pass judgment.

-I do, in fact, though I rarely use it.

-I have a really hard time remembering things like this, unfortunately, so I don't have an answer for you. :sweat:

16. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    When was the last time you participated in a SoTM whether it be this site or any other?

17. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    Hm... November was the last time I think I participated in LV's SotM. I haven't had time to since.

18. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    :: Have you ever gone by other aliases in the past besides 'ID Zeta'?

:: Do you enjoy any sort of word puzzles?

:: Is 'zeta' the most important Greek letter, or is it something else?

19. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,597.0
    -Other than variations of it (adding numbers, removing the space), ID Zeta is my only alias.
    -Define "word puzzles".
    -Alphabetically, zeta is the 6th Greek letter. It's not used in physics, though we do like using the z-axis to define things, which could count. I picked it because it sounded cool at the time, honestly.

20. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Anything that is puzzle-like in nature and uses words as a primary vehicle - fill-ins, word searches, crosswords, acrostics, etc. are just some examples.