1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Bad Match-ups in Smash?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vaquero, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Wait, this guy still uses the forums? Doesn't he do enough to ruin the discord?!?!?!?!?!!??!!

For those of us who play smash somewhat competitively, we all know that our characters have strengths and weaknesses. So, this thread is going to be dedicated to bad match-ups. Please give your insight into these match-ups for others if you have a clue as to counter lay them.

Now, as y'all know, I'm a Dedede (and Ridley...) main. And I know that I make this stupid meme character look "good" (really only somewhat decent) but he has a lot of bad matchups. Sometimes I can overcome them but a lot fo the time they shut me down like:
    • Isabelle/Villager: I'm grouping these two together because they are kinda the same but not really (mostly cause they don't deserve their own sections and that they would be mostly the same) Both of these characters have small projectiles that completely shut down gordo which is a big part of D3's neutral. The volley mechanic can really hurt dedede in this matchup as it hits him just as hard as a normal hit even though F-air on Villager and Belle are very weak moves. Isabelle's fishing rod is also a very good punish against D3 as he's a big target and is slow. Both can also pocket gordo and use it against him but D3 can hit it back as well. Even D3's new inhale won't help much since these projectiles are too fast and weak to be worth reflecting. These two are just not good for D3 at all.
    • literally any sword fighter: Less painful but still not fun for the king. Since gordo can be hit back by literally anything, being proficient at knocking back gordos is great for starting to give D3 a bad time. Disjoints are much safer than a kick or punch as they won't get damaged at all or even flinch. And I won't even get started on how they can just juggle dedede...
    • Sonic: easy approach options, spin dash through gordos, Dedede es 2 slow. nuff said
    • Mega Man: projectile city, here. Anything and everything mega man hs makes gordo useless unless the Dedede is smart and conservative. But a big, slow target against a fast projectile spammer won't end well.
    • K. Rool: I personally like fighting K Rool as D3 however, the crown can be the end all be all. His down throw kill confirm will not miss D3's big hitboxes. All of D3's anti-air and spacing tools can be nullified by the belly armor. And both have great recoveries so not clutch inhale gimp, spike, or some gordo edge guards. Gordo stick traps work but those aren't reliable and are gimmicky. Dedede has some options to but a healthy belly armor in one hit but Dedede will struggle if you're not focused and making the right reads.
    • Wolf: neutral B and down B. nuff said
    • Zelda: her projectiles can't be inhaled so D3 either has to avoid it or take it. Neutral B will hit D3 since he's a thicc boi. And she can combo easily on this big lug. (she's adorable though so she gets a pass)
    Ridley:
    Swordies: again, he's a big boi so he gets juggled and combo easily. He's also not a true heavy so he won't outlive certain attacks. He's not as helpless as other characters but he won't be in the advantage state of the battle. Neutral B is good for spacing though.
    Pretty much all heavies have weaknesses that are universal so you can group the stuff I listed for dedede here but for some slightly different reasons. Most being Ridley's abysmal recovery and again, not being a full on heavy.

Mario: Ah, yes. The first character I ever picked up. I pretty much believe Mario is absurdly weak this game. He feels too fragile and his combo game was heavily nerfed which makes some matchups worse.
    • literally, any sword fighter: he loses out in range, can be easily juggled and has a hard time getting in. The same for Doc but he has pills so that gives him a slight edge over mario.
    • Donkey Kong and Bowser: Okay, hear me out. DK has fast, ranged, intangible tilts to space him out. Jab and grab are long ranged. Smash attacks are huge and kill early. Bowser is kinda similar but not as good as DK in this matchup but he does have a jab and grab that can snuff out Mario's approach
    • We can pretty much say any character with range at this point. A bit of an over exaggeration but I'm not entirely wrong here.
    Charizard: This poor, poor fire breathing death lizard. I know Pokémon trainer negates these weaknesses but you might as well not even use him since Ivy exists. However, I'm still somewhat loyal to this character (even though I pretty much dropped him without a second thought when I saw Pokémon trainer was announced) so I pretty solo him only. However, the changes had indericetly nerfed him. He just feels so fragile in the air and overall can be a pain to play sometimes. It's kinda funny how two of my strongest characters from smash 4 became characters I only pull out for fun because my confidence in them is so low.
    • again, all weaknesses for heavies are universal. But Zard isn't even a complete character so they're even harder on him. He has a harder time landing overall, is huge, and Zoners are the death of him.
    So, yeah. That's my spheal on matchups I'm horrible in. Feel free to post yours, give advice on how to fight them, and list your counter picks you use bellow. Anywho, I'm done for now. Adios

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...