1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Review Battle of Polytopia (Mobile Game)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Laserdragon14, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I've been playing this game since I've gotten my smartphone and I've enjoyed my current experience of the free-to-play game.

The Basis of the game:
    This is a free-to-play turn-based empire-builder, similar to Sid Meier's Civilization but is dubbed down the basics (Tech, empire building, different tribes, replayability).

Tech:
    There are five basic branches of the tech tree that you can go down as any tribe:
    Riding (leads to more mobile units and roads)
    fishing (leads to water transport and defense buffs in water)
    hunting (Leads to more production for your cities and defense buffs in forests, and ranged units)
    organization (Leads to more production for cities and more defensive units)
    climbing (leads to defensive buffs on mountains, more production, and more heavy-hitting units)

Overall, I believe that there are enough techs and the maps are so different that you can go for different builds that will work for different situations but depending on your style of gameplay, you may prefer going deeper into some branches than others.

Empire Building:
    The way that the game works is that you have to expand through finding different villages and you gain different things from the ruins that may be around the map (such as a free super unit, a free tech, extra population to your capital, or an explorer that will map out a part of the map that you haven't discovered)

Map Design:
    Each map is unique, just like any Civilization game ever developed, which makes this game really replayable, but at the same time, there is a chance that you start with your capital city and that is all you have to work with and that can make it a game-ending scenario since you really rely on those other cities to help you develop new techs and build more units.

Tribes:
    There are four tribes that you are given for free; the Xin-xi, the Imperius, Bardur, and the Oumaji.
    tbh, there is hardly any difference between the tribes besides their skins and what tech you start with.
    The Xin-xi start with climbing
    Imperius start with Organization
    Bardur with Hunting
    Oumaji with riding.

Purchasing tribes
    $ 0.99 tribes: these tribes have nothing special about them except for the fact that they start with different techs and has different skins from the original four.
    the Kickoo (Starts with fishing)
    the Hoodrick (starts with archery)
    the Luxidoor (starts with a large capital)
    the Vengir (Starts with Smithery and powerful swordsman)
    the Zebasi (Starts with farming)
    the Ai-Mo (Starts with Meditation)
    the Quetzali (Starts with shields)
    the Yadakk (Starts with roads)

$1.99 tribes: These tribes are known as the special tribes because they have slight variations from the original tech tree that makes the gameplay completely different for these tribes.
    the Aquarion (they can move through water without the sailing tech and have a crab as their super unit instead of the standard giant)
    the Efyrion (they can enchant wild animals to fight for them and have dragons as their super unit)
    the Polaris (they can freeze tiles and the units on those tiles and have Gaami (not 100% sure what exactly that is) as their super unit).

Multiplayer:
    You are allowed to play with friends on a single phone as a pass-and-play (Which makes politics between players really fun), but if you wish to play multiplay online, then you would have to purchase at least one other tribe.

Overall:
    I'm always the person that likes a good turn-based, rpg, empire-builder. The games average out to be about thirty minutes when you are facing AI and about an hour when you are facing other people, mostly depending on how good you are at the game in my personal experience so far. I would give this game an 8/10 there is always room to improve the game, but for a free-to-play game, I would say that it is worth picking up if you want something that doesn't always need internet to play but you can still play with friends or family

I hope that you all enjoyed my first video game review and if you have any further questions about the game, feel free to ask them to me and I'll do my best to answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Wow, I remember playing this game years ago. I gotta say, this is a pretty accurate description of the game. It's a good time waster alone, but it's pretty fun with friends.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Laserdragon14 likes this.
  3. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    This game is one of my favorite mobile strategy games and I feel it needs more exposure.

Most other mobile strategy games are just bad freemium games shoved to shit with microtransactions. So this game not having that makes it all the better.

Though do buy a tribe if you enjoy the game as the devs need all the support.