1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Best new mechanics in the games

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by ValorVolcarona, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ValorVolcarona

MEEMAW
    (Zorua)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽603.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Over the generations, we get new mechanics to enhance the games.
    Gen 2 gave us shiny forms, breeding, night and day, weather, and the dark and steel types.
    Gen 3 gave us double battles, abilities, and berries.
    Gen 4 gave us the physical-special split and the poke radar.
    Gen 5 gave us triple battles, rotation battles, hidden abilities, the oval and shiny charms, and reusable TMs.
    Gen 6 gave us mega evolutions and the fairy type.
    And finally, Gen 7 gave us alolan forms, Z moves, and ride Pokémon to replace HMs.

So of these (and others I may not have listed), which do you think has made the biggest impact on the series?

I think shiny forms, abilities and hidden abilities, and mega evolutions are the most impactful on the games.
    -Shiny forms quickly became fun and exciting to find, even with such low chances. Some people are constantly on the hunt for those little sparkly stars.
    -Abilities and hidden abilities all have a unique way of supporting the Pokémon. While some are more useful than others, it is an indispensable mechanic.
    -And lastly, mega evolutions gave some old and less used Pokémon a breath of fresh air. For example, Kangaskhan was almost completely useless until it got its mega, which is utterly broken. Nonetheless, it gave people a chance to see Kangaskhan, and other Pokémon, in a different light.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. Wizard

Wizard HOO BOY

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽577.1
    This change probably didn't impact the series the most, but the one that improved the gameplay for me the most was the improvement of the HM/TM system. Once HM's were removed and TM's were repeatable (I know, they were introduced at different times), many facets of the gameplay got a lot better and the HM Slave movement finally ended. It's great being able to go overwhere without these detriments now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ValorVolcarona likes this.
  3. King Dedede

King Dedede Gordo Aficionado

Eevee (J)
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽220.1
    I love walking with Pokémon. It make you feel a more personal connection with them. Maybe it’s just because I have been brain washed with nostalgia by soul silver and heart gold but I feel like amino doesn’t do the justice that interacting with Pokémon deserve. Sure, you can feed and pet them but something about seeing your starter walking with you and seeing them do all these quirky little things as well as them roaring for battle when you get to the elite four makes them seem more alive.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal...

Aki
    (Minccino)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,268.1
    I'm going to put Breeding at the top of my list, keeping in mind how it also just about necessitated growing the robustness of IVs. Before breeding, you were entirely at the mercy of RNG when it comes to having a naturally stronger Pokémon or not.

In a close second and third, I can't decide which is which, I'll put every type added after the first 15 and everything done to the "special stat" including Special Defense being invented and the individual physical-special split starting in Gen 4. Every type was added necessarily to fix a balancing issue (they're almost balanced now), and having entire types be special or physical was just wacky. Why should Alakazam have a stronger Ice Punch than Electabuzz? One is a skinny nerd and the other has arms like Popeye. It added such a larger dimension to the game.

5. Bayporeon

Bayporeon School Kid

Hestia
    (Fennekin)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽68.0
    I love walking with Pokémon, but I think my favorite change that I REALLY hope lasts is the changes to the party system. It's made breeding exponentially easier and faster, and I just love it in general.

6. Neb

Neb Collector

Round Boi
    (Spheal)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽444.1
    Ride Pokémon changed the gameplay up without feeling tacked on (unlike HMs).

The Battle Frontier gave the Gen 3 and 4 games some longevity.

The Pokémon World Tournament was fantastic fan service, and it also gave B2W2 some extra postgame content.

Mirage Island in the original Hoenn games was a small, but exciting feature. Every day there was a very small chance this special island would show up. On it were wild Wynaut and an exclusive berry. Having another secret area like this could encourage players to return to the game daily to see if they’re one of the few with access.

Gym leader rematches make postgame grinding so much more enjoyable. I hope the Let’s Go games aren’t the only newer titles with this feature.

Seasons were such a nice addition to Gen 5. They made Unova feel like a living breathing place. Plus they provided some great arrangements of the route themes. Imagine if Sword and Shield brought back seasons, but they were based on the game’s date like in Animal Crossing.

ValorVolcarona likes this.
  7. Jeydis

Jeydis Animist

Mighty Handwing
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽182.6
    Most impactful? Physical/Special split and abilities by far.
    Favorite for me?
    - Abilities added so much depth to each and every Pokémon and brought in some great characterization and flavor to each new catch.
    - I am also quite fond of the following Pokémon mechanic in HG/SS
    - Lastly reusable TMs! Lets you customize your Pokémon which ever way you like! Also a godsend for challenge runs.

8. BZRich64

BZRich64 Mustached Moderator

Golden Lizard
    (Charmander)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,686.2
    The innovations to the Box system. The way storing Pokémon worked in the first two gens was awful! It was really hard to try and 'catch them all' when the game felt like it was designed to actively get you not to collect very many Pokémon or else face the overly convoluted storage system that was overall just a mess. Then Ruby and Sapphire came along and completely overhauled the entire system for what we have now. Storing and rearranging Pokémon is no longer a huge hassle, with a better interface, not having to save every time you change boxes, etc. Since then they've been slowly adding smaller changes, such as touch screen support and increasing the total amount of storage available, which make it even nicer.

9. Azazel

Azazel Let's pretend we're not at the end

Rayquaza Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,281.6
    Pokémon Amie and Refresh!
    Yes I love bonding with my Pokémon, I love my incineroar growling at me when she enters battle and shaking off poison so I won't worry.
    She is a good girl so she gets more beans.