1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 2 Beta Ruins of Alph Theory

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Shadria, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    [​IMG]
    During the datamining/exploring of the recently discovered Spaceworld beta of Pokémon Gold/Silver, a theory started to pop up as people explored the location of the Ruins of Alph.
    A dark theory- The Ruins of Alph are the ruins within Hiroshima, with the Unown being the spirits of the victims killed in the bombing.
    In the Demo, the Ruins of Alph is placed where Hiroshima is on the map (Keep in mind, in the demo all the towns were different regions of Japan!), and show a mural of two people surrounded by fire and destruction.
    [​IMG]
    It's theorized that Unown were to represent the permanent shadows burned into the ruins of Hiroshima, and that the Ruins of Alph radio signal are Geiger counters (equipment used to check radiation levels).

It's not confirmed if this was the original idea or not, however whatever was planned was ultimately changed to appeal for the growing Western audience (and the fact that G/S/C was not the final games as they thought).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Arctiquaza likes this.
  2. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    Well this is terrifying to think about and surprisingly dark for a pokémon, considering the 200,000+ deaths that happened in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

3. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    That makes a lot of sense.. gosh thats dark-

That being said wouldn't Ghost-typing make more sense for Unown then (Im pretty sure its still Psychic)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Youngster

Sorrel
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽83.1
    It would be, if they had simply died. Vaporization, with the nuclear shadows that remained being constantly bombarded by residual radiation, could start to have some weird effects, so Psychic makes sense to me.

5. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Wow, that's...wow. It's dark, but somehow I kinda feel like it works for the Pokémon world. There are some surprisingly dark moments that happen or are implied in the Pokémon games.

6. RegionRunner150

RegionRunner150 PKMN Breeder

All of You
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽63.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Wait...... in the Pokémon world Unown are often portrayed in the movies and (sometimes) the games as being the building blocks for the Pokémon universe. Some even going so far as to say they are the "arms" Arceus used to create the universe.

That combined with the whole theory that the Pokémon games take place in a post-apocalyptic world.. oh my

7. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Wow... this.... this is REALLY dark. And I thought lavender town was dark, but man. No wonder they changed the final product for the ruins. This could have offended international audiences and ended Pokémon...

8. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,927.3
    Yeah, I perfectly understand why they would have toned this town for the final games. This isn't the kind of thing that should really be in the game that's meant for children to play. It also feels thematically out of place for Pokémon, even if the franchise does go to some dark places sometimes. It also makes me wonder if there's a connection between the Beta-Ruins of Alph and Tyranitar.

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but when you say "building blocks" I think atoms and molecules. With atoms' elements being represented by letters, and molecules comparatively being words (combined as needed to become totally different things with few traits of its components), then these Unown could be representative of more literal building blocks of the world: atoms themselves (looking at all the single-letters on a Periodic Table). And with the weapons causing this death being the atom bomb... whoa.

However, I have one part of this theory to break right here: Hiroshima in Japan is not in the same location as the Ruins of Alph in Johto (it's outside of the playable area, far northwest of Olivine); and for that matter neither is Nagasaki, which seems a lot more like Slateport in Hoenn. Not as much creepypasta there though. And I'm not trying to debunk this whole thing, just the part of "Alph = Hiroshima", compared to "Alph = monument, reference, other historical relevance to Hiroshima" which I think is still totally possible.

(There's a map of Japan with the first four regions outlined on Bulbapedia here, and two screencaps of Wikipedia maps attached to this post if you want to see for yourself.)

Attached Files: