1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Binary morality systems

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by guest, Apr 9, 2017.

1. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    When morality is explored in video games it often comes in the form of a binary good-evil scale, with players' choices and actions changing their position on the scale in some way. Although not realistic or complex, it can be more interesting to have the option of different approaches to a game rather than having to play the hero again.

Do you find yourself acting as a hero, moderate, or villain in these games? Do you try to explore each path or will you stick to only one regardless of how many times you play? Is there a reason for your choices?

Despite the opportunity of 'letting lose' and wrecking havoc, I find myself feeling guilty and taking a good or neutral path. Dynasty Warriors Empires is something of an exception however, mostly due to the lack of unique characters being affected by my actions. >V>;;

2. Blazonix

Blazonix Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽788.8
    I almost always, without a doubt, go the more virtuous route. I, too, feel guilty if I don't choose the "good" option. That said, no matter what option I choose, I will follow it to the bitter end. If I end up choosing the "bad" option either by choice or by accident (or because someone else pushed the button), I will be as evil as the game lets me. I almost never go for the middle road, always the extreme.

For example, I will always play paragon in Mass Effect, no matter the outcome, but this one time I was playing the Army of Two sequel with my brother, who chose the evil option against my wishes. When the deed was done, I told him he brought it on himself. He ended up yelling at me for always choosing the evil option. :P

3. DeathxVictory

DeathxVictory 空̛̜̝͎̪̥̣ͪ͢虚̩̩͕̫̜̠̲ͫͤ

PokéPoints:
    ₽76.8
    GS Ball ★★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Premier Ball ★
    Ah this reminds me of Fable. an old game where your decisions can be chaotic, neutral or good. Personally i am a neutral player. i will help but at the same time i just wanna do my own thing. just doing quests for most anybody sadly. Now i am not the type to steal even in game so most of those missions are skipped.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JadeFox and guest like this.
  4. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I don't mind going evil but I will probably choose the good route though sometimes I find myself trying not to for some reason. Weird.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I will always choose the goody two shoes route but if there's opportunity to have multiple save files I'll usually have one that I have a different morality in just to see how things play out differently. If not I'll just watch a youtube video of the different choices hahah.

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    This is mostly what I do as well. Well, I do thieve a lot in Skyrim, but there is no morality meter. So yeah.

7. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I usually go hero or natural, such as with Undertale, I did my best to play hero like, doing my best to make people happy XD

8. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    I usually end up playing somewhere between good and neutral. I don't do the always clearly "heroic" thing, as I'll usually stick to safer and more cautious options that the game presents as selfish choices. I'll do good where I can but I'm not going to risk too much on a heroic deed when I could play it safer. I ended up having to do that a lot in Dragon Age.

9. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I pretty much always play the nice guy who'll stab you in the throat if you mess with his allies. The only time I didn't do this was in SMT4 due to the "Nice Guy" being the Law route.

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I think Fable has one of these systems. My first playthrough I was more neutral until I learned about the true plot. I restarted, bought every property and just plundered everything.

11. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,460.6
    I don't think that I can do these games. I have enough trouble with Fable already. I want to do the goody two shoes route but it seems like I can't even get everything right to be a good person in those games.

12. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    On the rare occasion I get the chance to play a game like this, I usually choose a good or neutral path. If I ever download Undertale, my favorite game out of the ones I have never played, I will proudly kill Jerry.

13. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,631.2
    I pretty much always go with the "good" route, though sometimes my choices will be affected more by what what I see as good than what the game considers the 'good' choice. At least on my first play though. If I replay a game with a morality system I'll either go 'bad' or just do whatever I feel like, regardless of morality.

14. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    On my first playthrough, I'll usually just go with my gut and mind as to what the best course of action would be. In SMT4 (on a playthrough I never finished), due to how alignment points are distributed, that meant I was Law-aligned despite answering Chaotically.

Usually in video games like, this, though, the neutral path is the most difficult to acquire points-wise, since you'd have to alternate between Law (good/light) and Chaos (evil/dark) answers for pretty much the entire playthrough. And while this does incentivise replaying the game multiple times, for a game series like SMT where the games are both long and difficult, one playthrough would be enough for me for a while.

Either way, I do think that alignment/morality systems are interesting...for some games.