1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Blog Bird Blog!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wolf Expert, Dec 31, 2017.

1. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 42
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,507.8
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Awww! I'm loving your bird blog so far!
    Piper sounds adorable! And good luck with your bird adventure!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Thanks! I should probably update this soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Your bird is adorable! I also have a few budgerigars. Have you considered getting more budgies in the future?

4. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Another 2 month interval since the last time I posted, not counting a short reply a little while back. Ooooh boy, have there been some changes.

Piper is a very happy and active little birdie. While before she was a little fickle when it came to petting or holding her, it seemed like one day, something just sort of clicked between us. I just held up my hand to her and she jumped on and started chewing on my fingers. I looked up why she was doing that and apparently it's a parekeet's way of showing affection, by trying to preen their owner. She loves when I pet her now too. She doesn't like me touching her back or stomach as much, but she loves getting scritches around her neck and face. Apparently that's pretty common because when birds preen themselves the area around their necks and faces are the only places they can't reach, so they normally rely on other members of their flock to do it for them.

I also got her a new toy. It's a bunch of wooden blocks connected with a chain with a bell at the bottom. I was worried about getting a toy with a bell, but she really likes shiny things, so I caved and got it. She's not ringing it as constantly as I was worried she might, which is good not only for my sanity but also because apparently budgies can become obsessive over toys that move and make noise. She likes it a lot though. Sometimes she'll just run back and forth from her ladder, to her swing, to the bell toy, and occasionally will stop to give a few pecks to her cuttlebone. Speaking of which, I replaced her orange flavored one with a vanilla flavored one a while ago. I guess she really didn't like orange (me too, birdy) because it took her forever to chew that one up and the vanilla one hardly lasted any time at all. I replaced that one with an unflavored one and she seems to like it the most out of the three. Good to know for the future!

When I let her out of the cage, I can now call her and sort of flick my index finger and she'll fly over to me. So cute! She likes to sit on my right shoulder most of the time, but sometimes she tries to climb down the front of my shirt, which is a little annoying. A few times she's jumped and tried to land on my face. I always grab at her just as a reaction when she does that though so I think she's learned now not to do that. For whatever reason, she really likes being out of her cage between 10.30 and midnight. I don't know why. I try to cover her cage before midnight though because I don't think she needs to be up that late. I'm turning into an overly concerned bird parent, I guess. Apparently it's not bad for a bird to be up late, as long as she still gets around 8-10 hours of sleep, which she does.

A few days ago out of curiosity, I started looking up names for budgie feather patterns to see if hers had a name. Apparently there are a bunch of random mutations that can happen with budgie feather colors and patterns and no one's entirely sure why. There are some colors that just show up and then vanish a few years later. The blue and white varieties (Piper's colors are specifically called Sky Blue) apparently came about as a result of losing the gene for the yellow feather pigment. Normally the white feathers would be yellow and the blue would be green, but without the yellow pigment, the feathers end up being blue and white.

In addition to the stuff I found on color mutations, I found a bunch of different feather patterns, like I was originally looking for. I know for sure that her pattern is some variant of pied, either Banded (a variant of Dominant Pied), or Clearflight. I'm leaning towards Clearflight because her wings and tail are both her base color (white in her case) instead of a darker color and the bands on her head are lighter than a Dominant Pied, but she also has a white band across her chest which would indicate Banded and which isn't very common for Clearflights. One site I found said it's sometimes hard to distinguish between the two, so it's definitely one of the two. Maybe it would be appropriate to call her a banded clearflight?

I've kept up with trying to teach her how to talk and a couple of weeks ago she started to make a lot of progress. She started chirping in a way that mimicked the vocal inflections I use when saying her name and then a few days ago she started saying the "pur" part of her name pretty clearly. Then, finally, about an hour ago she finally said her full name. She does this sort of bubbly warbling sound when she chirps sometimes that sort of carried over into saying the word, but she still very clearly said "Piper". I tried to get her to repeat it, but no luck so far. I'm sure she'll get better at it with practice though!

I'm thinking next I might try to teach her a short song. The way she tweets sounds really musical and she likes listening to music, so she might be able to pick it up easier than just repeating phrases.

I'm not considering it at the moment. I definitely want to teach her how to talk more before even thinking about getting another budgie, since they tend to learn faster when only bonded with their owner. Apparently it's not a good idea to introduce a new bird directly into the cage right away either. It's better to keep them in separate cages close together so they can get accustomed to each other first, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay for a second cage that would eventually end up not being used at all. I think her cage would be a little small for two budgies too.

#24 Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    ChocoChicken likes this.
  5. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Well I haven't updated this in forever, but something funny just happened so I figured I'd revisit it.

So some quick updates first, I guess. She can say her name pretty clearly now, but doesn't very often. Since both males and females are capable of learning the meanings of words and both are capable of learning to speak, I'm assuming that the males just like to show off more so they're more likely to actually talk. She can say her name, but very rarely ever does. She's also said "pretty bird" and "baby" before, which she picked up since I call her "pretty bird" and "baby birdy" a lot. The funniest thing she's done in terms of taking was one day when I was giving her some attention and I said, "Who's a pretty bird?" and in a really happy, singsong voice, she responded, "Piper!" So cute.

I can also say definitively now that she is definitely a she. She started laying eggs a couple of months ago and has been getting lots of cuttlebones and healthy food to make sure she doesn't get too nutritionally depleted. The first time she laid 2, and since then she's just been laying 1 each time, except for over the last few days where she laid 3 almost back to back, 1 every day or every other day. I looked it up and apparently chicken eggs only take a day for the shell to develop, so I guess parakeets aren't too different since there's no way she could have been carrying 3 eggs at once.

Now that she's at egg laying age, she's also started to get a lot more aggressive around the times when she lays eggs. She's still a sweet little bird, but she does actually snap at me now, which she never did before. It doesn't hurt enough for me to mind all that much though. The only really annoying thing is that she likes to tear up the paper at the bottom of her cage to try to build a nest. I used to clean it out every time she did this, but it became so frequent that I gave up on that. She would just tear it up again as soon as I replaced it, so I just went back to cleaning it every few days.

Okay so, onto the funny thing that happened.

A while back I got her some new food and water bowls since the ones she had before created a little area underneath them that she was using as a nesting box and I wanted to limit how many eggs she was laying. I kept the old ones because she uses the water dish as a bird bath sometimes and doesn't like being sprayed, so I thought I'd let her keep using them as baths and just put them on the outside of the cage.

About a week or two ago I had filled up one of the bowls for her to take a bath. Afterwards I just kind of set it aside to get it out of the way without emptying it or cleaning it since it didn't seem dirty enough that I needed to clean it immediately. She ended up laying the most recent eggs and so wasn't at all interested in more baths, so I kind of just left next to her cage and forgot about it.

I ended up having to throw the eggs out because I though that might have actually been stimulating her to lay more, instead of less like a site I read said it would. Also she was keeping me up at night the way she was tossing around at the bottom of her cage trying to sit on all 3 of them. Fortunately she just goes back to how she normally acts once the eggs are gone, so no more nesting behavior. So a while ago I decided to clean the bowl out in case she wanted to take a bath and I noticed something long and stringy in the water. At first I was thinking it was a worm that came out of her when she was bathing last time and I was kind of worried that she might have parasites.

Then I noticed the leaf.

The long stringy thing I saw was a root, and there was a small leaf sprouting form one end where the root and a stem had both sprouted from a seed. She has a habit of tossing her seeds around once her bowl is mostly empty so I'll refill it for her, and while she was doing this at some point, a seed must have fallen into the water and ACTUALLY SPROUTED. Piper dropped a seed into the water and it actually GREW. My bird is better with plants than I am.

ChocoChicken likes this.