1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Blandest Pokemon Design

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Wizard, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    Now, I know that we have threads for worst designed Pokémon, but I want to know which one is the most bland/un-interesting! I hope you understand the difference :D.

I find Seel/Dewgong to be so terribly bland. Seel... is literally a seal. Like, what the heck. It's boring, mono-color, and named so poorly. Oh my goodness, this thread has me started on a rant AND I'M TRIGGERED. Just kidding, but seriously, Seel/Dewgong isn't that great of a design, imo.

Which Pokémon do you think is the blandest? Why? What could be done to spice up that Pokémon? Does that Pokémon TRIGGER YOU?

(I'm sorry, my brain is doing weird things)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PoserPanda likes this.
  2. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    While I love ditto, it is pretty bland. A purple blob with a blank face
    Oddish is also literally an onion with legs

Some more kinda get me heated but those are my main two

PoserPanda likes this.
  3. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I personally adore Seel and Dewgong, but I can understand why some people might find their designs really bland looking.

As for Pokémon I think are bland, well, I'd have to go with Gastly and the Grimer line. I don't hate these Pokémon at all, but their designs are so bland and forgettable. I'll be honest I kinda forgot Grimer and Muk existed for a while until they were given Alolan forms and I was like "oh that's right they exist". I mean they are literally piles of purple toxic goo, not the most interesting designs out there.
    And Gastly, well, it's a floating ball with a face. Need I say anymore?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PoserPanda likes this.
  4. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    Oh gosh yeah, pretty much the only difference between grimer and muk is that one is bigger and meaner looking. It is probably one of the most boring evolutions, right after voltorb

5. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    Gen 1 was full of incredibly bland designs, but Ditto is easily the blandest for me. It's a small blob with a smiley face. Next would be Voltorb, which is a ball with eyes but at least has two colors to it. Not that I don't like Ditto or Voltorb, they're just incredibly simplistic and seem lazy compared to more resent Pokémon designs.

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Speaking of voltorb. Let's take a poke-ball, and put a face on it. Brilliant! But what is it's evolution? I know, lets turn that poke-ball upside down. 10/10 best Pokémon concept ever. To me some of the blandest Pokémon are all the birds. Birds here, birds there, birds everywhere and their all useless. All the bird seem really bland and almost all of them are just carbon copies of their real life counter parts.

PoserPanda likes this.
  7. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    There are definitely weaker designs in any game, from the aforementioned Voltorb and Grimer to Stoutland and Klinklang.

PoserPanda likes this.
  8. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    COUGH COUGH Luvdisc COUGH

PoserPanda likes this.
  9. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,990.4
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    *insert my angry screaming here*
    But anyway... you're right about Voltorb. A few other bland ones are:
    - Ditto
    - Muk and Grimer
    - Exeggcute

10. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    This is actually a pretty difficult question...the line between "simple" and "bland" can be pretty damn thin at times. I mean, with a simple design the few features that it has on it stand out that much more, and you're drawn to them and remember them, far more readily than you would an overly complex design that is just a mess of details. I think the more you add to a design, the more likely it is to be bland. I mean, there isn't much to be said for a Pokémon like Voltorb, but it is far more expressive and striking for that lack of detail - what there is, your eyes are drawn to, and you remember. It is a good design for that, but if you don't like how it looks then it doesn't really make much difference.

Honestly I think the majority of Gen V-VII would qualify as bland, because a lot of them have so many details that nothing in the design really stands out; there are some fantastic simple designs and some that balance things out nicely (I actually think Tepig is pretty good, even if Emboar is a hopeless mess) but others that just look nothing like Pokémon and are just an overly convoluted mess...especially Legendaries later evolutions. Kyurem - and its Black/White forms especially - are especially bland to me, because the colours clash horribly and nothing about it is particularly memorable, despite it being a pretty complex design...that's the problem. Where is the focus? But the Muskedeers are horrendously bland as well despite being simpler design - that is the issue there; nothing stands out and they don't look like Legendaries - and the Incarnate Formes of the Forces of Nature are fine when you consider them individually, but awful when you consider that they're basically three palette swaps of a single design with a different ring thing each time; they look like Dragon Quest monsters. They fixed the problem with their Therian Formes though, I will give them that much.

This isn't to say that earlier gens don't have bland designs either - Gen III has Luvdisc and the entire Spheal line, Gen II has Hitmontop, and Gen I really pushed the line with simplicity with Grimer and Muk especially - or that there aren't good designs in later gens (Gen IV I've left out because I don't want to start a rant about how bland Lucario is and I actually love the rest of it and have no complaints for once, haha) but I've noticed that the more bland designs are skewed, at least in my opinion, towards later generations. That may simply be because I'm getting fed up with Pokémon and they've brought in more designers, too, some of which I like and others that I don't.

I guess in the end that there is no accounting for taste.

11. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    I won't even hesitate: Sesame Street duo Sawk & Throh.
    They could have been way better if their original concept stayed untouched, tho.

There are a few more options that came to my mind, but this two are just the perfect representation of blandness.

12. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I agree with you, other than my suspicion that Ditto is intentionally bland. It can become anything, so when those muscles get tired (figuratively speaking) it would likely relax into the lowest-effort form it could. Aside from that, so many Gen 1 Pokémon are boring. Sure there's Seel and Dewgong from above, and how I was ranting about Seaking yesterday, but the list goes on. Pidgey? A bird. Pidgeotto? Uhh, a slightly bigger bird. Pidgeot? An even bigger bird than that? How about Doduo? How about a bird with two heads, except it can have three heads later for some reason! Rattata and Krabby? Literally just a rat or a crab with anime eyes. Geodude and Graveler? A rock, except it has arms. Butterfree, Venomoth? Both are literally just the animal itself. At least Ponyta and Rhyhorn have the benefit of being an animal that partly made of something else. To be honest, this is 60% of the reason why I'm not a Gen-1-er, but instead a Gen-2-er.

Just off the top of my head, without combing through a Pokédex, I actually can't even think of any Pokémon of any other generations that are as bland as part of Gen 1. The up-side is that they've done a lot of improving on this front between then and now.

13. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Actually, the only pokémon I can think of that I actually think has a bland design (other than the pokémon that have already been named) is Pidgey. I think that basically all of the first evolutions of the bird Pokémon are kinda dull, but especially Pidgey because it looks so similar to Spearow, except I like Spearow's design better.

14. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I honestly think that voltorb and electrode are by far the blandest and most generic I've ever seen. They are just bi-colored orbs with eyes that explode. the only thing that makes them even remotely interesting is the fan generated lore surrounding them.

15. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    My list is kind of long, so I'm just going to go with bullet points, and then explain why after wards. If it isn't already obvious. Some I'll mark with a ` and that means I don't like any of its evolutions either. These are Pokémon I wish weren't on the dex at all.

Here's Generation one.
    1. Pidgey `
    2. Raticate `
    3. Spearow `
    4. pikachu `
    5. clefairy `
    6. jigglypuff `
    7. oddish `
    8. paras `
    9. diglett`
    10. Psyduck `
    11. Mankey `
    12. tentacool `
    13. geodude `
    14. ponyta `
    15. Slowpoke`
    16. magnemite `
    17. doduo `
    18. seel `
    19. grimer `
    20. gastly `
    21. drowzee `
    22. krabby`
    23. voltorb `
    24. exeggcute ` I cannot help but say that this Pokémon's name in particular, is the worst possible name I have seen. I hate it.
    25. Lickitunge`
    26. koffing`
    27. chansey`
    28. tangela`
    29. goldeen`
    30. Mr.Mime - Could be good, could have had an awesome clown design. I might re-design him later, and make a missus mime.
    31. jynx
    32. magmar
    33. magikarp
    34. ditto
    35. Eevee`
    36. porygon`
    37. aerodactyl
    38. snorlax
    39. dragonite
    40. mew
    Here is Generation Two.
    1. chikorita`
    2. cyndaquil` Especially Quilava. That thing looks like someone chopped off its legs.
    3. sentret`
    4. hoothoot`
    5. ledyba`
    6. spinarak`
    7. lanturn
    8. pichu
    9. cleffa`
    10. togepi` Except for Togekiss.
    11. bellossom`
    12. marril`
    13. hopip`
    14. aipom`
    15. sunkern`
    16. wooper`
    17. murkrow`
    18. misdreavous`
    19. unown`
    20. Girafarig` Could have been better, could have been another Mawile. Also I hate its name too.
    21. pineco`
    22. dunsparce`
    23. onix`/steelix
    24. qwilfish`
    25. shuckle
    26. heracross
    27. sneasel`
    28. teddiursa`
    29. slugma`
    30. corsola`
    31. remoraid, minus octillery. But Octillery could have been better.
    32. delibird
    33. mantine
    34. skarmory
    35. houndour
    36. donphan
    37. stantler A.K.A. Coconut mouth, huge left butt-cheek.
    38. smeargle
    39. tyrogue` and any baby Pokémon, ever.
    40. raikou, entei, suicune. None of them look like dogs.
    41. pupitar`
    Wow, Generation three.
    1. sceptile - Stupid christmas tree tail.
    2. torchic`
    3. mudkip` They all look brain-dead.
    4. poochyena`
    5. zigzagoon`
    6. Dustox is uggo.
    7. lombre`
    8. seedot` Except for Shiftry
    9. taillow`
    10. wingull`
    11. gardevoir
    12. surskit
    13. makuhita`
    14. azurill`
    15. nosepass`
    16. skitty`
    17. medicham`
    18. plusle`
    19. volbeat`
    20. roselia`
    21. gulpin`
    22. wailmer`
    23. torkoal`
    24. spinda
    25. swablu`
    26. lunatone and solrock -should have been the legendaries for Sun and Moon. A re-design calls my name.
    27. corphish`
    28. castforms`
    29. duskull`
    30. tropius
    31. chimecho
    32. absol - Nobody asked for an emo Pokémon with danger sense.
    33. glalie
    34. clamperl
    35. gorebyss
    36. luvdisc
    37. Bagon's line doesn't make much sense to me.
    38. Any of the Reggies.
    39. kyogre - wailord but legendary
    40. rayquaza - lipstick worm
    41. groudon - I just don't care for it.
    Next is Generation four. ​
    1. turtwig`
    2. chimchar`
    3. piplup`
    4. starly`
    5. cranidos`
    6. combee because there isn't a male worker version it can evolve into.
    7. pachirisu and any pikachu clone.
    8. buizel` could be better. Not impressed.
    9. cherubi`
    10. shellos`
    11. drifloon`
    12. buneary` Especially lopunny's mega form. It's furry bait in hooker tights.
    13. chingling
    14. bronzor`
    15. chatot
    16. spiritomb
    17. riolu` it has two sets of ears. Get rid of those, and it is much easier to look at.
    18. drapion
    19. carnivine
    20. finneon
    21. snover
    22. rhyperior
    23. rotom in any form.
    24. uxie has a dumb name
    25. mespirit looks dumb.
    26. Azelf is a knock-off Phione.
    27. dialga
    28. palkia
    29. heatran
    30. giratina has way too much going on. It looks like an emo kid's sparkle fakemon.
    31. Phione`
    32. darkrai
    33. arceus
    34. virizon should be shaymin's final form.
    Generation five is halfway there.​
    1. victini
    2. patrat`
    3. lilipup`
    4. pansage`
    5. munna`
    6. pidove`
    7. audino
    8. timburr`
    9. tympole sucks, its later evolutions don't.
    10. throh`
    11. cottonee
    12. basculin
    13. darumaka`
    14. dwebble`
    15. scraggy` PULL UP YOUR PANTS. GET A BELT.
    16. cofagrigus - I have to say fag to say its name.
    17. tirtouga's line looks like a scrapped water starter.
    18. trubbish`
    19. minccino`
    20. gothita` could be better.
    21. solosis`
    22. vanillite`
    23. emolga
    24. karrablast should not turn into escavalier.
    25. foongus`
    26. alomomola I HATE YOUR NAME.
    27. ferroseed`
    28. klink`
    29. litwick`
    30. cubchoo` it wasn't cute in Wind Waker, it is not cute here.
    31. cryogonal - a pussy snowflake that cries.
    32. shelmet shouldn't turn into accelgor. Also that's a dumb name.
    33. stunfisk
    34. vullaby - diaper wearing baby.
    35. heatmor - didn't I already do this one?
    36. durant
    37. deino` the name follows one two and three, in german. Points for that. Still looks like his mom cut his hair.
    38. cobalion. IT HAS SHOES. NO. TAKE THEM OFF.
    39. terrakion . you look like a dumb bully, WITH SHOES.
    40. virizion -WIRELESS SHOES.
    41. Tornadus` and all of its alternate forms.
    42. reshiram
    43. kyruem looks like it is part chicken. With ice wings.
    44. keldeo`
    45. meloette`
    46. genesect
    Holy cow, I hate how a good portion of Pokémon look! It's like I don't even like Pokémon...
    A good portion of Generation six doesn't count, because they are just mega forms.
    1. chespin`
    2. fennekin` Stick up its butt tail. Worst ear hair.
    3. More bubbles on greninja, and PLEASE no ASH forms of ANY Pokémon.
    4. bunnelby - nunnelby was how i typed it at first, so I might re-draw that too.
    5. fletchling`
    6. flabebe` until florges.
    7. furfrou. No.
    8. espurr looks like a malasada. Both Meowstics suck too.
    9. spritzee` Everything I hate about perfume, in Pokémon form.
    10. swirlix looks like it is trying not to barf.
    11. binacle`
    12. skrelp`
    13. helioptile`
    14. dedenne WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT PIKACHU CLONES?
    15. carbink should have been better. Diancie is what it could have been.
    16. goomy`
    17. klefki`
    18. pumpkaboo`
    19. bergmite`
    20. xerneas`
    21. yveltyl. Dumb name, I don't even want to spell it right, AND IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE BACON.
    Generation seven I won't count too much, because some Pokémon have been revamped into their alolan forms. I dislike all of them, except for : IceSlash, Vulpix, marowak, and zygarde.
    1. I wanted Poppolio to have more masculin forms and also more circus like. It did neither. Otherwise, I like it.
    2. yungoos` it looks nothing like Trump.
    3. morelull
    4. Get rid of bounsweet, and keep the other two.
    5. comfey
    6. TYPE NULL: I couldn't choose what type I wanted for my fakemon, so it can do ALL OF THEM. NO STEAL.
    7. turtonator
    8. togedemaru
    9. bruxish
    10. dhelmise
    11. tapu lele
    12. nihilego
    13. phermosa
    14. xurkitree
    15. kartana
    16. poipole
    17. stakataka
    zeraora has the WORST COLORS.
    And that's all the ones that I don't like. If there are any left, I think they look cool.

16. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    A lot of mons in particular from Gen 1 and 2, yes I love a lot of those mons but I'll also admit some of them can be bland and boring. Like Voltorb, Electrode, Noctowl, Pidgey, Caterpie and many more, not gonna bother listing them all. I still like a good number of them but that doesn't make them immune to critique as some are kinda boring design wise.

17. Skullbash

Skullbash I will become the Pirate King

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,895.3
    GS Ball ★★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm gonna throw Stunfisk out there. Just why?

18. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    i feel like ditto is the most obvious because its just a blob. i really dislike luvdiscs design too

19. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    *Hates on 75% of the Pokédex
    *Thinks Silcoon and Cascoon are cool

In all honesty though, yikes. That’s a lot.

20. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Yes, the point of this thread is to point out which Pokémon we don't like. And it looks like to me, that you have a problem with my problem? Or you just don't think Silcoon and Cascoon are neat. They're probably bland to you, but I love the final evolution of them both. Mothim reminds me of a Wind Waker boss, and the other just looks nice.

Which ones do you not like?