1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rated M Blood and Gore in Gaming

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wizard, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    How do you feel about blood and gore in video games? What about in games with dramatized blood and gore (like Mortal Kombat and Doom)? Does it add anything to the experience? It is something you can/can't tolerate?

Growing up, games with blood and gore were almost certainly excluded from the list of games I could play. Since then, I have played many games with blood and gore. It does not particularly bother me as a consumer, but it does nothing to increase my enjoyment of the game.

Interestingly, China put a ban on games with blood in them last year. You can read up on it here: https://gizmodo.com/chinas-new-video-game-rules-officially-ban-blood-corps-1834221957

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,929.3
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Eh, its no skin off of my nose. I know some people get squeamish with blood and the like, but if its presented the right way it doesn't effect me. Honestly, the more over the top extreme the violence gets, the less concerning it is to me, which is why games like No More Heroes and Mortal Kombat are enjoyable to me

Wizard likes this.
  3. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    well. uhm. hi. it's me.

Blood splatters all over the place! Blood blood blood! Blood if theres no blood i'll have a less of a time enjoying the game (unless it's minecraft or a really good sandbox game)

And Wizard I already know you're fine with blood with pancakes and his strawberry maple syrup gun

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jupjami likes this.
  4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I do not like excessive blood or gore at all. I don't mind a little bit of blood, a lot of it is a big no for me. Gore is just right out. My aversion for this kind of excessive violence is one of the many reasons that I don't play M rated games.

5. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    I am not really bothered by a lot of blood (just as long it's not mine or my brother's apparently). I think its a bit distracting if it's all over the screen but I really don't play that many games with a lot of blood in it. Actually the worst game I actually play when it comes to blood I think its either Warframe, Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord, Monster Hunter: World, or perhaps Starcraft 2.

6. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,549.0
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    It heavily depends on the game in my opinion. I'm never going to criticize a game for having too much blood and gore, not will I criticize for not having enough. More often than not, the developers know just how violent they want to make the game, and the amount fits. Stuff like Mortal Kombat and Doom make total sense to have the level of violence and brutality they do, and would feel wrong with it. More realistic stuff like The Last of Us and Skyrim make sense to have a bit of blood and violence, because that's just how life works.

Interestingly enough, Minecraft has had several instances of having more blood than it should. Zombie Pigman originally had red, bloody pieces of their flesh instead of the green that was eventually used, Netherite was originally called Bloodstone, and rabbits were originally going to break into pieces when killed (though they may have been a joke). Obviously, Minecraft is a game where actual blood would not work at all.

It all just comes down to the artistic vision of the developers a d what game their trying to make. Violence typically correlates with realism.

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE I mean what?

I really don't mind blood and gore. If its done poorly I do mind, but casual blood and gore doesn't really effect my experience. I know that blood and gore can actually be used really well to enhance an experience with a competent writer, (example being the horrors of war) but this isn't common.

Edit: I've done some more self reflection and come to realize that when it comes to blood and gore, I don't mind it when its not in your face. That way, I can easily block it out in my mind. If its front and center, I usually dislike it. Something like a realistic WW2 simulator that has blood and gore is something I can just look the other way when something bad happens, but a game like mortal combat is just bad and I hate it.

#7 Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  8. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I don't really mind blood, but don't enjoy it either... Sometimes blood can be really distracting, like getting in the way of something that you want to see... that part is pretty annoying! As for gore and violence, I love it~! 'Tis admittedly fun to see people suffering at your hands, makes one feel quite powerful~ (that sounded a bit evil though...) As long as I'm not on the receiving end, I guess I'm okay with it~

(As for the bloodiest game I have played, I can't remember its exact title but it had a lot of broken/detatched body parts~)

9. Champ

Champ Tuber

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽74.3
    Ultra Ball ★★
    I personally don't mind it and I also don't think the games I played so far have a bloody scene. Though 'dumb ways to die ' have a lot of blood, it's funny. Have you guys watch it or play it?

Jupjami likes this.
  10. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I don’t think I’ve played any games with blood or gore (if I have, then I’m drawing a blank). I don’t think I’m a squeamish person when it comes to gore, so I think I’ll be able to handle myself if/when I play a more gory game.

11. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    A game doesn't have to have it to be enjoyable. But some of my favorite games of all time have blood (ie No more heroes, Doom, god of war, mortal combat, hotline miami/katana zero)

I see why people get squeamish but one thing that I do ask people that are to consider (I know that everyone here can agree). Don't go after the companies because they put blood in a game.

The reason of think of the children goes out the window when the rating system is just as clear as movies or other media but entirely misused.

Sorry for the side rant but I needed to get that out.