1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Bubbie's Pokedex

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by bubbie, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Is it just me or has any other artist out there ever strove to draw the complete set of Pokémon? I first attempted this as a kid and drew the first 151 (horribly, cuz i was maybe 11). Now that there are so many more beautiful and awesome Pokémon out there, and my skills have grown considerably, I've been itching to try again. I am planning to draw the entire Pokédex, and I'm gonna be doing my best to do one every day, and starting with the new year I will be posting them up at project-Pokédex.tumblr.com for those of you who have a tumblr account and are interested in that sort of thing. I've started early because I wanted to have a buffer in case I can't get some done for whatever reason. To me this is an epic undertaking simply because the amount of Pokémon, and it's entirely likely that the number will grow by the time I finish. I thought I'd share here first and see what my fellow Pokémon lovers and artists think about this.

Here's what I have done already!

Pokédex #1-20
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Slugkid

Slugkid Slacker Extraordinaire

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Well, I like your signature...

Just kidding, these are really cool! I like them, and the fact that you added a little realism to them. I hope you do manage to draw all of them!

bubbie likes this.
  3. Ashe

Ashe Silly

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.3
    These are very nice ^^ I drew 151 Pokémon too so I know how challenging it is to draw so many of them. I'm sure it's going to take you some time, but it will be a wonderful collection in the end! Hope to see more!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bubbie likes this.
  4. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    They look very nice! If I may critique something, though- the Butterfree you drew looks a bit more like a cat or some kind of mammal from its body shape, rather than a butterfly. Just something I noticed, that's all. Keep up the good work!

5. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    thanks for the critique though that was intentional. considering that butterfree in and of itself doesn't realy look like butterfly like or even remotely insect-like, i decided to have fun with it! but thank you

6. espeonbird

espeonbird Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    It's nice to see them all in their natural habitats rather than on a white background like most people do. I really like your work :D

bubbie likes this.
  7. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Looking good, I'll be interested to see Sandshrew and Sandslash once you get up to those, Sandslash especially. :)

8. RubyCarbuncle

RubyCarbuncle School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Very nicely done. I like a bit of added realism to Pokémon. :)

9. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    BONUS TIME

i'm gonna share some of the other, older Pokémon art i've done that isn't included in project Pokédex! here we go!

[​IMG]
    a sig i use on the bulbagarden forums
    [​IMG]
    deino!
    [​IMG]
    myself as a Pokémon trainer
    [​IMG]
    splash plate arceus
    [​IMG]
    growlithe
    [​IMG]
    lucario

10. Degnne

Degnne PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Nice stuff!

Some thoughts:

Poor Metapod!
    I love how you gave Kakuna little arm-thingies.
    That Pidgey looks fierce!
    Your interpretation of Arceus is amazing. I love it.

11. Sterotyper

Sterotyper Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Oh wow your art is spectacular, keep up the awesome work

12. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I really like the Arceus and Lucario pictures. The Lucario one has what looks like 3D elements to it which I find cool in a 2D drawing.

13. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I think 20 Pokémon per spoiler section is enough. Here's the next set!

EDIT: 2/27/2013 added Nidoqueen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Primal Moron

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    These are skilfully drawn. The attention to realism is amazing in each one, which trust me, is not easy to achieve.
    Two notes you might want to bear in mind:

1- Never ever stop wanting to draw! The moment you do, you will find getting back into these harder to do than cleaning the subway system in New York City.
    2- Since you draw by hand, pay attention to detail, but also note you got over 600 left to do, and then some. If you think you're taking too long on a work, chances are, you probably are. Even it out and call it a day, cause the longer you spend on each work, the less time you'l have to devote to the next.

As a slight critique, I would give these works a 9/10
    The only con I see is some of the Pokémon are showcased in rather odd situations, while a cute Spearow and a trapped Metapod may be entertaining, I don't see how that would be showcasing them, rather than their appearance in the bizarre situation or out-of-character appearance..
    To fix that, (if you agree with my case and point, that is.) you might want to do a little Pokédex research from ALL gens on your current Pokémon, maybe looks at some official art, moves or other properties. Get into the Pokémon's character, you may just think of something even more clever to attract attention (i'm still waiting for someone to depict a Gardevoir that actually does some life risking protection, not a cute shipper Pokémon. (do something like that, people will notice)

I hope you found my points helpful, and i really enjoy your art, keep going, and don't stop!
    -PM

15. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    good critique and thank you, its helpful. but actually, i have been doing research on each Pokémon before i draw them, looking at all official art and sprites and reading all the Pokédex entries like you said. metapod being caught in a web was actually an idea someone off this very forum gave me and i don't particularly care for spearow so i just drew a bird doing bird things :P also another thing you mentioned - if i spent too much time on each one i wouldn't ever get finished so i'm not trying to break my back with each one but i have been trying to focus more attention into interesting backgrounds. i do expect this project to take well over a year, possibly two sine there's even more added to the Pokédex now. but i'm using this as an opportunity to grow and learn as an artist. i have never one lost the desire to create sine i can ever remember but before i started this challenge i was having some personal issues and i hated everything i drew. whenever that happens i like to try and take a back seat and go easy - once in college while my professors urged me to develop my style, i stopped drawing humans for a few months except for life drawing and anatomy classes. when i started drawing again, my style had evolved into something i was very proud of. so this is sort of me taking a break but still drawing and i'm using Pokémon as my outlet.

16. Ashe

Ashe Silly

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.3
    Ah, I really love that Pidgeot one *_* And good idea to keep it 20 per spoiler xD Keep it up!

17. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Liking the Spearow, it looks just like official card art or something.

18. Degnne

Degnne PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Very nice looking Spearow!

19. IN54N3G3N1U5

IN54N3G3N1U5 Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.0
    Your art style is freakin' awesome, I love the semi-realism all of the Pokémon designs have :) I can't wait to see some of the legendaries, keep up the good work :)

20. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    thanks everyone! i'm so glad you like them :3 it really means a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.