1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Let's Go Bulbasaur line aren't Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Shadria, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    No, the common theory about the Saurs is apparently wrong! They are actually...TOADS!
    Yup, toads! Looking at Venusaur's running animation in Let's Go reveals that he has some mighty long legs. [​IMG]

I'm still quite disturbed seeing Venusaur run/jump like that, I always imagined Venusaur had short stumpy legs given the old artwork. It also doesn't go with the idea that they're plant-dinosaurs, either.
    How do you guys feel about this reveal? Did you expect it? Do you want to not use Venusaur again now?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    omg lol
    Maybe a combination of dinosaurs and toads..? Honestly they don't even look like dinosaurs to me, other than the fact their names end in 'saur'

some kinda earth toad would be cool

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PoserPanda likes this.
  3. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I've always seen them as mammals. Still do, even after seeing this animation.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    The idea of the Bulbasaur line had never actually occurred to be before. But now that I've seen it, this fells like it actually makes far more sense then the dinosaur idea (apart from the names) and I'm not even sure why.

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I don’t use Venasuar so I don’t care XD. but honestly, they look more frog like than dinosaur like.

6. Friskian

Friskian Hex Maniac

Enemy Stand
    (Trickster)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    hmmm,well i still wanna use Venusaur,because the first two gym is gonna be easy with him
    i dont really if hes a frog oe dinosaur i wanted venusaur to be a japan myth,now im disappointed

7. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Battle Toads™

PoserPanda likes this.
  8. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I always saw the Bulbasaur line as more amphibious than dinosaur-like... Even if they did have "saur" in their name... :P This just backs up my view XD

9. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    See subconsciously I expected this but literally watching it every time still throws me off. You just never consider Bulbasaur/evo line as a dinosaur but here we are. I'll still love me a Bulba boi but oof. Weird run lol.

10. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Bulbasaur also has this animation in PMD, except no one really noticed it.

11. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    It just looks wrong. Did bulbasaur ever move like this in the anime? lol.

12. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I honestly cannot remember. Inb4 rewatches the entire anime to find Bulbasaur running.

13. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I just love frogs. This lore is very inspiring.

14. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I always felt like venasaur was a toad to be completely honest so this just fits perfectly in my world.

15. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    That venusaur... i don’t... OK then

16. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I've always named my Venusaur "Jiraiya" for a reason... XD

17. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    thanks! i hate it

PoserPanda likes this.
  18. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I don't think this completely proves that the Bulbasaur line are all frogs. I think that it is a dinosaur, thanks to its name. Until the Pokédex marks it otherwise, I'm going to stay with the idea that the Bulbasaur line are dinosaurs.

19. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    I always thought the Bulbasaur line were toads, and was confused about why they had saur in their name.

20. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    Bulbasaur was never conceived as a dinosaur. If you think of Kanto starters as a group, you'll notice that they're common animals: a frog, a lizard and a turtle. That said, the most vital point here is their original names, the japanese one. None on Bulbasaur's line has "saur" there, which indicates that it was just something added in the localization process to make this "buddie" more appealing back in RB times.

As a side note, Fushigidane basically means "mysterious bulb" but also can mean "isn't it strange?". Quite the ingenious pun for the first Pokémon name you'll see ingame, if you ask me.

Ryan and Borie Broer like this.