1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Burnout

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Have you ever experienced burnout with video games, either as a whole or with a specific game? What do you think prompted this, and how did you resolve it?

Yes I am aware there is a series of games called Burnout

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have experienced burn out before. For me its happened in a lot of games, but one particular offender is foxhole. Lately the game has required massive amounts of time to get anything done to the point where I have to set aside a whole day if I want to actually complete something. Because I did spend days in foxhole, the grind just became too much for me with too little payout and I stopped playing for months. The only thing that will remedy this is time apart and forcing yourself back into it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I had a lot of burnout with Smash specifically, but never anything else. It's been a long time since that's happened because I used to play A LOT - by that I mean "come home and screw around on Smash for three hours after playing with friends for thirty minutes." What helped me stop was just having better habits around it in general, I don't play that excessively anymore so I don't feel that anymore.

4. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    For a while I had quite a burnout with Mobile Legends, when bad internet combined with my detrimental a tendency to overly depend on teammates and give them all the farm made me lose quite a lot... However now I'm back to playing the game, and doing quite well~

Another genre that has bummed me quite recently are the gachas; they eventually became banal and many of them are pay-to-win or grind-very-hard-to-win... Right now the only gacha I really play is Fairy Tail's, since I love the fandom and the game is really generous; they give loads of the premium currency for free every day, and most powerful characters can be easily obtained~

5. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I have burnout with smash... I haven’t played in months. Yeah it’s a fun game and all, but soon enough it gets stale just playing against the CPUs. (And no I don’t have smash ultimate, I’m still playing smash 4)

6. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,434.8
    Every couple of weeks, there is an evening where I don't feel much for video games and go to bed early. This is easily resolved by simply not playing video games when I do not feel up to it. I tend to have a bit of an addictive personality and can become overly obsessed about certain things. Because of this, I tend to really get into something and burn out hard eventually. Fortunately, this does not happen long-term with my favorite game series like Fire Emblem and Star Wars Battlefront.

7. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,004.3
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I have been told that I am what is known as a parallel thinker. I can read through five books, and will always be able to remember exactly where I left off in any story. Same goes for games.

Typically, burnout happens when I try to play one thing that needs hundreds of hours of game play for much too long. Particularly, this goes for long-winded RPGs like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy, as well as a majority of gacha games. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but this has always been the rule for me for many years now.

8. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I get burnout from nearly every game I play. Unless a game has something to really hold my attention, I can’t play it for more than an hour at a time. I also get into marathons where I’ll only play one game genre for an entire session. On most days, my gaming sessions are something like this:

1. Play a game for 40 minutes.
    2. Think about another game of the same genre or style.
    3. Switch to that game and play for 15 minutes.
    4. Think about how burned out I am of this gameplay style.
    5. Repeat from step 1.

I used to be able to play the same game for hours without losing interest. Half of me thinks this is from a declining attention span and the other half wonders if it’s from having too many games to choose from. My gaming collection is massive and there are dozens of games I’ve barely touched. Perhaps if I had a smaller backlog I wouldn’t be so impulsive.

9. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    No never.

When it comes to games I just don't play as much to pursue other hobbies but that doesn't really mean much in the way of burnout.

10. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Damn, can't believe I'm sayin' this, but I currently have a burnout with mainstream Pokémon, heh~ I'm a bit tired of all the level-grindin' and the repetitiveness of the battles, especially as I've been playin' the much harder Reborn/Rejuv fangame series… Probably gonna make a momentary return to Conquest 'til I feel like playin' normal Pokémon again~

11. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,966.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Oh yeah I just got Burnout 3, need to t-oh wait...

Burnout happens all the time with me, which is why I started to take my LPs more seriously and space out recordings to avoid that.

12. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,020.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I've experience this many times, usually happens with my nuzlocke challenge where I get burned out on a specific run. My solution? Start another run in another game, usually a less punishing run. It usually works and when I'm done or near done with that run I often return to the one I burned out on.