1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Casual vs competitive

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Feb 10, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon Ace Trainer

Twiggy
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽374.5
    Poké Doll ★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    The big question: casual or competitive? Do you play the games casually or competitively? Do you judge Pokémon based on competitive value?
    I’m gonna make a safe guess that almost all of us started playing Pokémon casually. I did too. Then recently (around last year), I wanted to try to play competitively and understand the competitive scene of Pokémon. So I’m mostly a casual player but partly a competitive player. I generally play the games casually. Completing the Pokédex, occasionally shiny hunting, etc. Since I can’t breed to save my life, I generally go on Pokémon Showdown if I want to battle competitively.
    (Rant incoming)
    However, I never judge Pokémon based on their competitive value. Example: I’ve always loved Sunflora. It’s one of my favorite gen 2 Pokémon. It’s really cute and severely underrated. I love it because other people don’t. Competitive players would look at its stats and immediately call it garbage. Smogon (a competitive batting website, if you’re unfamiliar) says absolutely nothing positive about it:
    DCBC5623-C4AD-4437-A7DB-9678083FDA62.jpeg
    I believe there is so much more to Pokémon than their competitive value. You could like a Pokémon because of its design, lore and backstory, cool typing, nostalgic value, you get the idea. Not all Pokémon have to be ultra-powerful beasts in battle. And it’s not fair to base an opinion on only one component of it. Another example? Regigigas. People hate it just because of one thing about it: Slow Start. I do agree, it’s not a good ability, but again, that’s not really fair to completely hate it just because of one small aspect of it. just like Karen of the Johto E4 says: “Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.” And that is my rant as to why I don’t judge Pokémon completitively.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Feb 10, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 6:09 PM
  2. Hraesvelgr

Charmander
    (Charmander)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,012.8
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I'm a filthy casual that just like to breed competitively viable pokémon, I've never been into competitive stuff much I just like breeding good mons. Due to me often playing nuzlocke I sometimes have to judge a mon on whenever or not it'll help me in the long run. If is just a good old fashion run I use whatever I want and don't usually pay much heed to how good the mon actually is. Pretty much all mons can be use with no issues in regular run anyways so is not like it matter as much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sheep

Sheep Super Moderator

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,391.2
    Story mode, casual. I don't stress much at all about what Pokémon I use to get through most of the content since it's easy enough. Post game I enjoy breeding Pokémon with optimal natures, IVs, and movesets, though that doesn't extend to actual competitive play against others -- mostly for my own enjoyment. I breed whatever mons I like regardless of how unpopular they are in the competitive scene, since I like having and feeling proud of them. So post-game, I guess semi-competitive?

4. EtherealHaze

EtherealHaze Not as cool in person

Jorunn
    (Ponyta)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,565.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Casual. Never been interested in competitive battling, especially having to use Pokémon based on strength rather than using ones I like. I prefer using my favorites even if they might be weaker than some other mons.

5. WavePearl

Ritureki
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,200.9
    Casual all the way--Karen said it beautifully in GSC: "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.”

Myself, I just want to enjoy the main story and any cool sounding postgame stuff.

6. Hraesvelgr

Charmander
    (Charmander)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,012.8
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I love breeding whatever I like too, bred some mons I'm most certainly sure will not get picked for competitive use like Raticate, Aurorus and Mightyena but I like these mons so of course I'll breed up some better ones I can use for fun against friends and post-game battle facilities.

7. Neb

Neb Hiker

Espurr ♂
    (Espurr ♂)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽451.9
    Casual. I know all of the competitive mechanics as well as team building, but I just don’t enjoy playing it. The constant meta game shifts make staying up to date aggravating and it relies way too much on prediction. I also don’t find breeding very entertaining or interesting. For that reason, I usually just play through the game with a new team and mess around with the postgame.

8. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

Butter
    (Trapinch)
    Level 32
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,045.9
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Casual of the way xD
    Competitive is way too much trouble imo especially considering I don't like battling other players at all.

9. Aiko

Aiko Master of love

Legendary Egg
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽130.9
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I have to agree with @Gwoomy it is alot of trouble to get into competitive. I'll occasionally play Pokémon showdown, but have no idea what I'm doing lol. It all seems pretty convoluted.

10. C2i

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    As some of you may know by now, I'm generally a competitive player. I greatly enjoy the games themselves, but competitive play is what gave Pokémon that extra "oomf" to set fire to over a decade worth of playing. I've since lost a lot of my previous interest in competitive play for various reasons, but it's definitely a big part of my young-adulthood.

11. Shayminlover123

Shayminlover123 Dragon Tamer

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽379.4
    Honestly, I play competively most of the time, but if I'm just replaying a Pokémon game then I'm playing casually. However, I don't judge Pokémon based of competitive value. I have a few singles teams with a few Pokémon I like in general (Like Mega Audino) and I managed to make them work, though it wasn't easy to make it work.

12. C2i

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    Well-said there. It's always more fun to make a Pokémon you like a force to be reckoned with, and it makes the competitive scene more interesting, too!

13. jmoul18

jmoul18 Sailor

Gwen
    (Kirlia)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2.4
    Gardevoirite ★★★★Poké Ball ★
    Casual here, and I tend to raise the same type of team every time...