1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Celeste: The Platformer That's So Much More

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by ID Zeta, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,556.5
    Celeste is a relatively new game for Steam, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch (I believe) that's earned quite a bit of praise for its design. Though it feels and plays like a traditional indie platformer, behind the retro graphics and soundtrack lies a deep, important message that strikes close to home for a lot of people. I'd like to discuss what makes Celeste such an amazing experience. With that in mind, if you are partway through this game (or want to play it) and want to avoid spoilers, I will be discussing the story, so be warned. I'll give you another warning before I dive into it.

[​IMG]

Celeste follows the story of Madeline, a young woman who wants to climb Celeste Mountain. She doesn't really know why she wants to; she just feels like it's something she needs to do. The game is simple, mechanically-speaking. You only have 3 abilities: a jump, a dash, and wall climbing and scaling. If you dash, you must land on solid ground before you can dash again; furthermore, you can only cling to and climb walls for a certain amount of time before you must land and recover your stamina.

In addition to these basic mechanics, each level (or Chapter, as they're called in-game) has at least 3 mechanics unique to them. Each of these unique mechanics is introduced individually throughout the level, giving you time to explore how they function and how you can use them. Later in the level, those mechanics are combined to form interesting puzzles that you must conquer through trial-and-error. I really like this organic approach to introducing gameplay elements, where they player figures out how things work on their own rather than being outright told "this thing does this". The puzzles, by the way, can get downright challenging.

No game is complete without collectables, and Celeste is chock full of them. Most of these are Strawberries: 175 of the fruits are sprinkled throughout the game's 8 Chapters. Finding them all requires exploring every nook and cranny of each level and often solving platforming challenges. Additionally, each Chapter has a hidden Cassette Tape that unlocks that level's B-Side, a version of the level featuring remixed music and significantly harder platforming. If you manage to complete all the B-Sides, you unlock the C-Sides of each Chapter, which is even harder (but significantly shorter). Finally, each level contains a Crystal Heart, hidden items needed to access each version of the 8th Chapter.

Throughout the game, Celeste constantly teaches you new tricks. Even after learning a level's unique mechanics the first time around, you're taught new ways of using those mechanics in the B-Side and even the C-Side versions of the levels. You can take those tricks with you when you replay the levels, either to get a faster clear time or to help acquire items that were eluding you. Most games don't continue to teach that far after completing the main game. Seeing this in Celeste shows you that you can always learn a new way to play the game.

Now let's talk about the aesthetics. Sure, Celeste uses retro-style graphics, but that only adds to the game's charm in my eyes. Each Chapter has a completely unique environment and ambiance, which is further enhanced by the soundtrack. The music is mainly a mixture of electronic and piano, but even with those types of sound, the music adds so much to the atmosphere of the Chapter. It's somber and contemplative when it needs to be, just as it's intense and driven when it needs to be. I highly suggest taking a listen to the soundtrack if you're interested, though it's something you have to experience to appreciate, I think.

Speaking of which... the story. My goodness, for such a simple-looking game, Celeste's story packs a punch, one that hit rather close to home for me. Let's talk about it and the lessons it teaches. If you want to avoid story spoilers, don't click on the spoiler box. (or do... I'm the author, not a policeman)

Story
    Early in the game, Madeline meets an old lady who tells her that the Mountain will show here things she may not be ready to see. Undeterred, Madeline continues onward. Soon after, Madeline meets Theo, a young man from Seattle who's looking for some adventure... and selfie opportunities. He pops up from time to time, acting as a way to elaborate on and develop Madeline's character. He's a nice enough guy.

The next character you meet, however, is not. In the second Chapter, Madeline encounters a Part of Her (nicknamed "Badeline" by fans) in a dream. This eerie doppelganger tries to convince Madeline to stop with her foolish quest to climb the Mountain and return home. When Madeline tries to press onward, Part of Her chases after her. This is the first of many times Madeline confronts Badeline.

The next Chapter takes Madeline to Celestial Resort, a hotel run by the curious Mr. Oshiro. Both the hotel and its owner have certainly seen better days. Mr. Oshiro repeatedly tries to convince Madeline to stay at the hotel, but she's intent on passing though. After cleaning up the hotel out of generosity (and not receiving much in the way of thanks), Mr. Oshiro makes his last plea at the presidential suite. Madeline's Part of Her makes an entrance here, insulting Madeline, Mr. Oshiro, and the hotel and smashing a hole in the roof. As Madeline leaves, Mr. Oshiro asks why she would be so cruel to him after helping him so much. Madeline's Part of Her insults Mr. Oshiro yet again, which sets him off. He turns into a ghastly monster and chases Madeline away, after which he returns woefully to his hotel.

Madeline meets up with Theo at the end of the next Chapter, and the two take a gondola up part of the Mountain. Along the way, the gondola jams (likely caused by Badeline, who makes an appearance but doesn't speak), and Madeline starts panicking. Though Theo can't see the darkness that envelops the screen, he teaches Madeline a trick to overcome the anxiety. When she calms down, the gondola starts moving again, and the two arrive at the Mirror Temple.

The Mirror Temple Chapter is one of the heaviest in terms of importance and emotional impact. Against Madeline's better judgement, Theo decides to explore the Mirror Temple, and she follows after him only to find him missing. As she ventures deeper into the mysterious Temple, she's suddenly pulled into a giant mirror, which transports her into a nightmarish realm full of Beholder-like monsters. She encounters Badeline yet again, and we learn some important things about the Mountain.

Badeline says that everything Madeline's seeing is in her head, and this ties back to something the old lady said earlier: "the Mountain can't bring out anything that isn't already in you". Badeline herself is a construct of the Mountain's power, and the Temple amplifies that power further. She says that Madeline deserves to be stuck in this nightmare realm, but Madeline persists anyways, determined to find Theo and escape. Madeline finds Theo trapped in a crystal with countless eyes watching him from the walls. It appears the darkness of his mind is contributing to the nightmare realm as well. Eventually, Madeline frees Theo, and the pair escape the Temple.

The two decide to settle down after that ordeal, and the conversation that ensues brings out some deep character development for Madeline. She suffers from depression, and the way she describes it is... genuine. This is the section that hit rather close to home for me. While I don't suffer from depression, I found a lot of what Madeline says to be relatable. I'll dive a bit deeper into this later, but for now, take my word for it that this section carries a lot of weight. Towards the end of the conversation, Madeline decides she should talk to Badeline and try to separate from her.

In her dream, she does. She confronts Badeline and tells her she wants to set her free, that it would be better for the both of them. Badeline lashes out, telling Madeline that she can't just walk away from her. Even Theo's trick doesn't save her, and Madeline is hurled down to the bottom of the Mountain. Again, I'll dissect this encounter a little later.

Madeline finds herself in a cavern and starts working her way out. She encounters the old lady yet again, who tells her she should try to get Badeline to cooperate with her rather than try to push her away. Madeline later finds Badeline, apologizes for trying to get rid of her, and suggests the two of them work together to climb the Mountain. What follows is as close to a boss battle as Celeste gets: Madeline chases her doppelganger deeper into the cavern, avoiding lasers and pitfalls, and eventually finds and consoles Badeline. She reluctantly agrees to help Madeline out, an act that fundamentally changes how the game is played.

With renewed determination, Madeline tackles the Mountain again. She and Badeline work together to get through each area she previously traversed: the Forsaken City, the Old Ruins, Celestial Resort, the Mirror Temple. As they climb, the two continue to talk, and their friendship grows.

They finally reach the Mountain's summit, and what a sight there is to see. After such trial and tribulation, reaching the summit felt so rewarding. Neither Madeline nor her doppelganger want to go back to life before the Mountain - after all, by leaving the Mountain, Badeline will lose her body - but they still agree to work together as best they can. As the credits roll, they make their way back down the Mountain, where Theo, the old lady, and even Mr. Oshiro are waiting for them.

About a year later, Madeline returns to explore the interior of the Mountain, where its power is strongest. There's not much in the way of story here, but it's worth mentioning nonetheless.

Lessons
    So what does Celeste teach us? The obvious answer is that with enough determination and persistence, we can climb any mountain before us, but I think there's something far deeper to take to heart. In trying to climb the Mountain, Madeline literally comes face-to-face with her inner demons. As later Chapters reveal, the Mountain is capable of bringing out people's negativity - fears, anxiety, doubts, insecurities - giving them form and a mind of their own.

To climb the Mountain, therefore, is to struggle against yourself. Badeline is a quite literal personification of Madeline's depression. Madeline repeatedly tries to run from Badeline, to push her way, to separate herself from her depression. After escaping the Mirror Temple and talking with Theo, she feels more confident than ever that she actually can. She confronts Badeline on her own terms, feeling like she's in complete control of the situation. Badeline shows, even then, that she's not in control, that she's nothing on her own. Madeline is thrown - literally and figuratively - down to rock bottom.

To reach the Mountain's summit, then, is to reconcile with your inner demons. Taking the old lady's advice, Madeline tries to convince her doppelganger to work with her rather than against her. Though reluctant and dubious at first, by the time the two approach the final stretch, Badeline is convinced they can actually reach the summit. When they do, Madeline expresses how happy she is that the Mountain gave them the chance to talk as they did, to work out their differences and learn to cooperate to achieve their goal. Furthermore, neither of them want to go back to how things were before. They like being able to talk directly as they have been.

The way Celeste shows Madeline's struggles provides a very candid depiction of struggling with mental illness, something that's garnered arguably the most praise for the game. How Madeline describes her depression is, in hindsight, something I've seen an awful lot in other people. At one point, she says that "though I may look fine, I'm barely holding it together". I can relate to this, in a way; I've felt that way before, and I know several people who have also. It's not an easy thing to be open about, not many people understand how you may feel.

Instead of trying to conquer her depression, Madeline learns to accept that it's part of who she fundamentally is as a person. She can't run from it, can't push it away, can't separate herself from it... and that's OK. You can't expect her to. Mental illness is not something you can simply beat into submission; to grow, you have to come to terms with the fact that it indeed exists. It may describe you, but it doesn't have to define you. That, I think, is the most important lesson you can take from this wonderful game.

If you read that whole wall of text, congratulations. As much as I can gush over this game, I have to reiterate: in order to truly appreciate what this game has to offer, you have to experience it for yourself. You have to struggle with Madeline to take the lessons to heart. It's truly surprising how much impact such a simple-looking game can have. I strongly encourage you to pick it up - it's well worth your time and money (and it isn't even that expensive!). I hope this discussion has convinced you to at least look into the game.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    This game was added to my Steam wishlist as soon as I saw it, and I was hoping it would be something similar to Momodora Reverie. Based on your review, I think that's definitely going to happen.

I'm glad it's Linux-compatible, but I act in my own self-interest when buying games: I need to wait for this to go on sale. I know $20 won't break the bank, but if I can save $10 with patience while playing the other 150-ish games I own, I'll do that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Back in my day, this is the only Celeste we had:
    [​IMG]