1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Writing Character Name Spelling in Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Gazi, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    This mostly applies to fanfiction. We all know that there is some funky spelling of names out there. A recent problem that I've come across is if you're writing fanfiction about a character who canonically has a name that you think is just odd spelling, do you stick with the canon name, or spell it how you think it should be spelled? Have you read any fanfiction that changes the spelling of a character's name?

I can think of two instances where I've seen it, and it kinda makes me laugh both times. The first one is a much more subtle and understandable change. The character is Raphael/Rafael from Yugioh (Raphael is the spelling of his name in Japanese, and Rafael is how it's spelled in the English dub). Now, when it comes to Yugioh, while I personally lean towards the English dub, I don't mind the Japanese names and such, but it still confuses me slightly when I read a story that uses the English names for every other character, but refers to this guy as Raphael, just because it's the more common/preferred spelling of his name.

The second instance is even funnier. If you've read fanfiction for Trollhunters, you've probably seen it yourself. I'm talking about the character AAARRRGGHH!!! (ARRRGH!!! if you're reading the book). But yes, that's really how you spell his name, complete with the capitalized letters and exclamation marks. The exclamation marks are so much part of AAARRRGGHH!!!'s name, that as you can see, if you use an 's, it comes after the three exclamation marks. It's kinda funny, but not as funny as how many different ways people spell his name. They leave out the exclamation marks, they don't use all caps, they leave out some letters, they leave out all of the repeat letters until you're just leave with Argh. It's just ridiculous, like every single person has their own way of spelling AAARRRGGHH!!!'s name.