1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Characters you'd like to see in Stories

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by CharlieWeasleyfan, Nov 2, 2017.

?

More of which type of character

1. OC

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Series Characters

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. OC AND Series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other... (please explain in a comment and tag me)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Hey LV. Planning to write a new story and I want to know if you'd like to see either more OCs (Your OCs can be included of course) or more of the original series characters. This is also a place where you can sort of post what type of traits in the characters you like.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I personally like reading more about well written OCs. I never really like the idea of someone trying to copy the personality of another. I prefer reading and learning about a character I've never seen before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Furie and CharlieWeasleyfan like this.
  3. Furie

Furie Black Belt

Slagros
    (Umbreon)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽60.9
    I agree that I prefer to read about OC characters. That also said, I like reading about OC characters who might meet a series character when it makes sense. For example I think a lot of Pokémon stories can mix really well - there are plenty of side characters for the OC character to interact with that make sense, like gym leaders, other trainers, Team grunts, etc.

4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I prefer to see how people write the characters I already know rather than trying to figure out someone's OC. So for me, I prefer series characters that are already established, although writing them in character can be a challenge.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  5. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Yeah I get that. I was referring not just to main characters but other side characters as well

6. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I'm the same way, though I think that it's easier to write a character that is already established than to write an original character into an already-established story.

With that said, well-written OCs are great to read (as long as they stay away from Mary-Sue territory).

Furie likes this.
  7. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    I'm not familiar with the Mary-Sue territory terminology. Translation please? Or rather explain that

8. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Well, it's somewhat complicated, but are you familiar with Twilight? The main character is a Mary-Sue - in this case, someone who is new in town and is described as being ordinary in every way, and yet these good-looking vampires and werewolves are all vying for her heart. Basically, it's that sort of 'perfect character' that can do no wrong. Look up "The Bobbsey Twins" some time; they're probably the best classic example.

Furie likes this.
  9. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I absolutely love, love, love OC's. I have a ton of them and bringing them to life in my own stories is always so much fun.

10. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Now that you made the Twilight reference and explained it there Yeah I get it. Thanks

11. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    This is honestly the reason why I don't use already established characters, unless for very specific scenarios where I know I can fit them in without much effort. It's too much of a hassle to insert characters that aren't mine because it severely limits my ability to write characters, especially if the characters in question are super difficult to write dialogue for. (I say this despite having two characters in my series that technically aren't mine, but I'm writing my own versions of them so it's whatevs.)

This is also the main reason why I prefer reading stories with OCs. It allows me to view into the writers' minds and see their perception of optimal OCs for their series...for better or worse.

12. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    THESE NEED MORE...OCS