1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Completionists

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    You've defeated the final boss, but you won't stop there. New Game +, Hard mode, achievements, collectibles, it doesn't matter. Whatever it takes, you have to go that extra bit further. You need to get that sweet 100% completion bonus on your game. Sometimes, you realize that you're not even having fun anymore... But you still keep going. You must complete the game!

How accurately did that bit describe you? Are you a diehard completionist, or is just beating the game enough for you? How far are you willing to go for that 100% mark, and at what point do you say "no, this simply isn't worth it"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I can try all I want but I am usually far away from even 90% I enjoy the game for what it has and what I can find.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm a casual most of the time, but then there are times where getting that 100% bonus is worth the bragging rights.

For example, I have successfully and legitimately caught every single Pokémon in the entire series up to Sun and Moon. ...Except Marshadow. That one's not out yet.

4. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I do not strive for 100% per se, even though I'd like to get that far, so I don't have to think about the game being left unfinished (and I've left a lot of games unfinished that way, because I've come devilishly close but was unable to surpass the last hurdles). I do, however, strive to go as far as I reasonably can, which is where I've left off with many of these games. At the very least I will clear the main story line and defeat whatever final boss there is, so I can say that I at least got that far - then I can see what else the game has to offer, and tackle it comfortably.

There are some games I've played where getting everything in the end is most definitely worth it, and is attainable enough that going for it is a good idea (most of the Mega Man Battle Network games - it's satisfying to round up the library and go after the bosses), and then there are others where the reward is simply not worth the time, or it's simply too frustrating to be worthwhile (The World Ends With You - I'll get all the secret reports but I'm not going pin hunting).

5. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    If I feel like the game is worth it, I'll definitely try to complete it for as far as possible. And among the ones I do complete there's quite a few games that I've 100% completed multiple times xD My inner completionist only shines sometimes

6. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I try as far as I can, by any means 'legit'. Guides, ingame codes (no game sharks/action replays), bugs, ect..
    The only 'game' I HAD to hack was Cookie Clicker because I was getting extremely addicted and HAD to stop.

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I am more often a casual gamer than a completionist. The only real completing I have done was my Living Dex on SM.

8. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    It really depends on the game. If there is a ridiculous feat (like having a shiny living dex in Pokémon) I wont try it, but if the game is enjoyable and I can work towards 100% completion in all the areas I like, than I will definitely aim for it.

9. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    If it's decently possible for me in a casual sense, than yeah I'll go for it. Metroid Prime 1 is kind of an example, but mostly because I've beaten that game at least 7 times now and most of the item locations (save like three items) in my second-to-latest playthrough were completely off memory. Now a game like Axiom Verge, that doesn't at all keep track of what items you've gotten in what rooms on the map, it becomes more of a hassle to 100%, so I'll just nab what I can during my playthrough and that'll be that.