1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Compliments

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Achromatic, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    How well do you guys receive compliments? What is the nicest compliment someone has given you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I don't get complimented often, so I'm surprised every time I get one and don't react the way I probably should. I typically respond with a quick "thank you" and try to change the subject :sweat: As for the nicest compliment, or at least the one that made me happiest, it was when my sister-in-law told me how she admired my positivity.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I dunno how to react to complements to be honest. I just "hhhhh", thank them and maybe spam a few emojis if it's on the computer.

I love when people complement my art and photographs so they're generally my favourite ones.

4. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Normally it's just 'uuuuh thanks?'. I'm bad at stuff like that. The nicest compliment? Probably something to do with art.

5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I don't receive compliments at all - they either just bounce off with no effect or I try to avoid them. The reason for this is because I don't wish to be complimented on something I don't take any sense of pride in - and there aren't very many things I take pride in. Because of that, a lot of compliments come off to me as insults, despite that not being the intent. I know it may seem rather odd, but I am rather choosy of what I am and am not proud of - if anyone could do it, I don't take pride in it.

6. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I'm always dumbfounded, because receiving a compliment is so rare. I never know how to react, I'm so used to not being good enough.

7. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    People, like, uhm...almost never give me compliments. I tend to panic, blurt some embarrassing stuff, make wild hand gestures, and try to sloppily change the subject.
    Nicest one? I guess: 'You are basically Light from Death Note. Scary, insane, murderous, and all-around awesome.' Does that count? That, or some of the things people have said to me here on LV. Thank you all!
    #MissingNo

8. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I suppose I get a lot of compliments . . . ? I mean, for one thing, people love to compliment the dog I walk, so I suppose that counts. Then I get compliments online for my writing, IRL for . . . other things. The only compliments I'm good at receiving are the ones online, because it seems so natural to say thank you in text. But when it comes out of my mouth, usually I get very flushed and harried and mutter a little. I really, really don't like receiving compliments - though they are nice to get nonetheless.

As for my nicest compliment . . . I absolutely love it when someone who's writing I admire compliments my writing. It makes me feel really good about my writing skills, so, yeah, that's always nice.

BraviaryScout likes this.
  9. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I've gotten better at receiving compliments over the years because I used to look at pride as something to avoid at all costs, but then through conversations with my mentors came to understand that there are two forms of pride: one that acknowledges my skills and the good that I do with them, and the one that inflates me to the point where I look down on others. So I receive compliments with the former mindset rather than the latter.

Furie likes this.
  10. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Whenever someone gives me a compliment I try to act like they are joking about what they say, however I truly am grateful for any compliments that people give me. The nicest one I ever got would just be something extremely simple, "Good job."

11. Messiah

Messiah Swimmer

yejus
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽15.4
    Animal Crossing Leaf ★Ultra Ball
    i kinda just ignore them if they compliment me, since im never complimented and because i have been so gullible when people compliment things just to be a smartass or be funny.

12. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Interesting. That very same reason for pride is the very same reason why I don't receive compliments well, so I'm curious to know how you're different.

Myself, I only take pride in a rather small, specific handful of things - things I consider myself good or unique at, and things I derive a good sense of accomplishment from. I can receive compliments quite well from those things (for the most part), but a compliment directed at something else about me is rebuffed, because it's not something I take pride in, and therefore it is not something I should be thanked for. (There are many things I've done in life that bring me shame or disgust, rather than pride, so that is a strong factor.)

13. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    When it comes to compliments, I'm the WORST. I usually try to take them well, but I've bee raised around people who endlessly compliment me for about 10 minute intervals so I think compliments are kinda fake sometimes??? I've found that usually overcomplimenting means it could be fake but that's just me.

I LOVELOVELOVE compliments to my art though! It's one of the most unique things I have, and I love to hear people say it makes them smile/they love it!

14. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I love getting praise and compliments, especially on my writing. What I really like is when people point out the parts in there that they like. It's a lot more specific and meaningful to me than just a genuine "Good chapter. Update soon." Kind of thing.

15. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I don't receive many but when I do, I take it and say thank you :D

16. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    When I get compliments, my face just burns red. But I kinda enjoy getting compliments as it shows that people actually notice about me and care enough to say something nice about me.

Nicest compliment? In band camp this year (yes, this is a "THIS ONE TIME IN BAND CAMP" story all the band kids hate hearing), a girl in the guard shouts, "I think you're pretty!" Needless to say, I just nervously gave my thanks in my flamboyant way and felt my face just set on fire. She later apologized for shouting it at me randomly, to which I brushed off and thanked her for it again, no harm done.

It was very awkward.

17. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Well, it's as I said: there are two forms of pride. Taking pride in one's accomplishments, even if it's simply being a good person to others, is fine; being prideful - by which I mean arrogant and self-important - is not a desirable trait. Much of my viewpoint derives from my beliefs, though I'm not an expert quite yet. I've done shameful things in the past, too, but because of my beliefs I've begun to see myself as a worthwhile human being; after all, if the One who created me sees me as precious, who am I to object?

I agree. I'd rather hear about things people liked and I can improve upon than a simple "Good chapter" comment.

Furie likes this.
  18. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Sometimes I pull a Chopper and pretend not to like the praise. (Though mainly it's when my dad compliments me only because he does it all the time no matter what I'm doing and how good/bad I am at it) Otherwise, I either just smile or make a joke out of it, like 'Yeah, I know I'm great. I'm totally not being pretentious.'

19. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Someone once called me 'elegant.' That's probably the best compliment I've ever recieved.

20. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I'm easily flustered so that's how I usually react to out-of-the-blue compliments, especially on my looks. Generally if customers come and tell me 'oh you're so nice I wish I spoke with you over the phone instead of that other guy' or things like that from random people then I take it normally, but compliments from people I already know well is a bit of a different story lol. Either way, even the little compliments are really pleasant. ♡

Nicest... idk. They all were very nice, and I value them all equally, unless it's some crazy forward thing like 'you're the nicest person I've ever met' lol, which I've heard before.