1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Crappy M-Gyara Team

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Spammernoob, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽52.4
    After getting rekt by That Weirdd Guy, I decided to make a M-Gyara team.

Teambuilding Process:

[​IMG]
    Obviously, I wanted a M-Gyarados. I used Sub-DD because it's hella stronk. :P
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Next, I wanted a solid Defogger and Keldeo check. Latias fit the bill perfectly, as well as being able to bring Gyara back with Healing Wish.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Being weak to Fairies, I slapped on a SpD. Heatran with Roar. This was also partially to deal with M-Sableye.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    At this point, Lando-T was a pretty big threat, so I decided to use Bisharp to handle it. It also serves as a good way to weaken some of M-Gyara's checks.(Keldeo, Skarmory, Ferrothorn) It's also just fun to use.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I wanted a good Greninja check, and Breloom works really well. Mach Punch exerts a ton of pressure, and Focus Sash helps Rock Tomb/Spore beat the Lati twins. I was contemplating using Conk>Breloom, but I like the speed and utility of Spore a bit more.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I put Greninja on the team 'cuz Greninja is just OP. lol
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I had lots of trouble vs. birds and Conkeldurr, so I swapped Heatran and Breloom with Talonflame and Lando-T.

Team Analysis:
    [3D='latias']
    Bisharp Bait (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Defog
    - Healing Wish
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock

Latias is one of the most reliable Defoggers in ORAS OU, with good bulk and typing. I use it as a Keldeo counter, as 72 HP allows it to survive 2 Specs Hydro Pumps from Keldeo after Rocks.(Standard set) Healing Wish allows me to play more aggressively with my wincons such as Lando-T and M-Gyara, and bring them back to full health later on.

[3D='landorus-therian']
    Bisharp Bait v.2 (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian is one of the best offensive pivots there is, It's phenomenal speed after the boost and a solid base 145 Attack allow it to threaten a myriad of speedy, offensive Pokémon that threaten the team, such as MBeedrill, M-Lopunny, and Greninja. Its typing and Intimidate also allows it to switch in on many Fighting types that threaten the team, and U-turn is a great move for gaining offensive momentum.

[3D='talonflame']
    Burdz (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost

My secondary wincon, if Gyara failed his sweep. SD Talonflame is quite a threat, acting as a secondary check to speedy Pokémon if Lando-T takes too much damage. It also has the ability to sweep through unprepared or weakened teams. 168 Speed Jolly is to outspeed Raikou, and kill it with a +2 Flare Blitz.

[3D='gyarados-mega']
    3Stronk5Me (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
    Shiny: Yes
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

My primary wincon, M-Gyara sports a massive base 130 SpD stat, and a phenomenal ability pre-MEvo in Intimidate. Substitute protects it from status users, and Crunch/EQ gives it the most neutral and Super Effective coverage. I'm not sure about the EV spread at the moment, but I like 252 Adamant because of the power. Gyara-M also helps a lot vs. M-Slowbro as Scald doesn't reak Subs until +2 and +1 M-Gyara's Crunch 2HKOs.

[3D='greninja']
    Grenigga (Greninja) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Gunk Shot
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse

Greninja is so self-explanatory. Gunk Shot for Fairies, Ice Beam and Hydro Pump for good neutral coverage, and Dark Pulse to hit Pokémon weak to Dark. I'm contemplating Grass Knot>Dark Pulse, as that's what I run on my Gym team and it allows Greninja to OHKO 40 SpD M-Slowbro.

[3D='bisharp']
    Red Ranger (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Defiant
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Swords Dance

An amazing Pokémon that puts tons of pressure on fast and frail Pokémon, Bisharp is a Pokémon that benefited hugely from the Knock Off buff. As there are no hazards on my team, Bisharp is mainly used to punish Landorus-Therian users and threaten Lati twins. However, due to the Lati twins becoming setup-fodder for M-Gyara at -2, I'm contemplating changing Bisharp, perhaps to Defiant Thundurus.

Threat List
    [3D='bisharp']
    Bisharp is a threat because I have dual Intimidators. Latias also dies easily to bisharp,, and the only switch-in I have is a MEvo'd Gyarados. Talonflame can play 50/50 mindgames, and Greninja can take a Sucker Punch at full, but it's a major threat when my team is weakened.

[3D='thundurus']
    Prankster Thunder Wave is really annoying. If Gyara doesn't have a Sub up, RIP my team. I have no switch-ins to it, and only Laando-T has any chance of checking it.

[3D='greninja']
    Big threat as always, so just sac and bring in Talonflame/Lando-T. Nothing counters it anyways. :[

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Xarn likes this.
  2. guimartgon

guimartgon Competitive Blog Writer

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Such team, much wincons.
    1st off, them nicknames lmao though Greninja should be called Counters?
    I feel like Bisharp could be good in there but it's not really used to the fullest, bisharp is used to take them defogs and then wreck but without any sort of entry hazards(which I feel like you could add since Talonflame puts a number on your team) what so ever Bisharp won't be that great, it's still good by itself but you could run something else for Lando-T, maybe a Mamoswine considering you don't have rocks or even scarf keldeo to deal with Greninja and other bisharps better(although it gives you another burd weakness).

Another thing, if you want to use Gunk Shot, put 44 Atq Evs in Greninja to 100% wreck fairies, plus you don't have rocks so I see this as a must although to be honest maybe the now standard Greninja set could be better in here:

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Low Kick
    - Gunk Shot
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse

It gets rid of Ferrothorns which can be nasty to deal with for Gyarados after the Mega(though you run sub so maybe not) and seeing how you're not running Low Kick on Bisharp and taking all the recoil in the world with Talonflame is kinda crappy, it could be cool, it also completely murders Gunk Shot weaknesses while still preventing M-Slowbro from setting up and still getting a handful of 1shots with Ice Beam. No need for Hydro unless you really feel like it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽52.4
    Hm... How does Offensive EP Lando-T with rocks sound?

[3D='landorus-therian']
    Bisharp Bait v.2 (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Earth Plate
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

180 Speed to outrun Breloom, dunno if that's subpar or anything. Maybe invest more in HP and less in Speed for birdspam, like 168 HP/88 Spe. to outspeed Adamant Bisharp.w

Then I switch to new Greninja set. => Profit. Though I need a replacement for Greninja now. xD
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-oras-ou-suspect-testing-round-1-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles.3525033/

4. guimartgon

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Well seeing how your team would loose a lot of speed with that, why not slap AV Raikou to get Volturn?
    Raikou @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Shadow Ball
    It also helps vs Burd, wil always beat other electric types 1 on 1(Thundurus-I) and will wear down teams with Volturn.(Well tbh I just think this thing is one of the most underrated Pokes of the moment, I can not express how good this thing is)

5. Drag0nK1d

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    One idea you could run instead of Bisharp (unless you choose to run SR on heatran) is to, if you need a straight counter for LandoT and Gliscor, is Mamoswine. Specifically Life Orb Mamoswine with Icicle Spear.
    Also, you still keep your Ice resist (thank you Thick Fat).

You still have your priority, albeit more reliable priority, outspeeds most Brelooms minus choice scarf (which I doubt is around), and will OHKO both LandoT and Gliscor even with a substitute up. Seriously, I prefer using Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash because it hits multiple times, which translates to broken subs then damage, multiscale is broken, and goodbye focus sash.

Also Icicle Spear has a 1/4 chance to OHKO at -1 if u get 3 hits, and 1/8 chance to OHKO with 2 hits at +0. All if physically defensive LandoT, and no hazards are up.

Granted, that adds a water weakness on your team so if you want to, the AV Raikou idea is still a decent alternative.
    However, isn't your team all about hitting fast and hard? Looks like hyper offense, or am I on crack?

6. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽52.4
    Wait... replace what with Raikou? Assuming Bisharp?

7. guimartgon

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Once Greninja is gone.

And to answer Dragonkid, AV Raikou is really offensive, the AV just allows it to take a few hits and counter electric types.

8. The Unknown

The Unknown Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I agree. If Thundurus is a threat to your team, then AV Raikou is a solid answer for it. The only problem that I've had with AV Raikou is that it's not strong and it can only be used to pick off weakened Pokémon, Pokémon with 4x weakness that you predict will come out, and to beat Thundurus. So, you'll be using volt switch a lot.

9. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Well, I like to give my opinion around and I have to help with this of course. I will suffer to much in my teams if Greninja gets Banned, so one of my solutions in my teams that have Bisharp and Greninja will be add Low Kick to Bisharp. Bisharp is very useful with that move. If you have a good prediction you can touch other Mega Gyarados and = 0KO Tyranitar. I won't be giving other suggestions because I see that there are other players giving you help with this, and I don't want to create confusion around ;) . You know that you can always talk with me in the Competitive Tutoring Room in Showdown, or send me a PM in Showdown or even here on LV.

10. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽52.4
    Here's the team so far:

Bisharp Bait (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Defog
    - Healing Wish
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock

U Turn my Volt (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Burdz (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost

3Stronk5Me (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

Worthless Pig (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

RIP Greninja (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Shadow Ball

Haven't used it since the OU suspect ladder went up, been using another team that's currently @ 1314 with 12-1.

11. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    @[member="Spammernoob"] I was looking at your updated team and love it. Just something I noticed being the absence of a few EVs on Talonflame, as you have 4/252/168 listed.

Though my current question is regarding your battle strategy against apposing Mamoswine/Froslass/etc; given that you'll be either hit with priority on Lando or otherwise locked into a move that won't deal enough damage to KO (more like a Focus Sash), what else would you do? Mamoswine and Gyarados can take a hit or two depending on what you're up against, but there's some heavy... pressure.... XD

12. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽52.4
    The easy answer is... Brave Bird all the things. :3

13. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Fair enough, it seemed that would be the answer. It's a good thing ice takes regular damage from flying attacks ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.