1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Creative Positivity

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Achromatic, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    A lot of us struggle with being positive about our own art and writing. How do you guys amp yourselves up to be more positive about your own creative works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I don't really amp myself much. I usually ask a friend if its good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I keep going because if I don't create the art I want no one else will. If I don't get around to working on my comic, no one else will.
    Plus I can always come back to older works and redraw them even if I think they're bad when I finish them so it's not all a loss.

Encrylox and Geroniny like this.
  4. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    I love drawing but I hate how my own art turns out. I just can't get myself to draw people right. One of the reasons why I stick to drawing inanimate objects, landscapes, and cute little animals (and Pokémon sometimes).

But I do know that any art skill will never improve without practice so that's one reason to keep trying, and I like to think that it might be be useful in the future.

Same goes for making gfx, I guess. Though the main reason why I still keep it up is because I like to make stuff for other people.

5. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Comparing my old art to my current art! It can be hard to see improvement sometimes but usually a side by side comparison makes it easier to see! Even if it's just a small improvement, or tweak to my style it makes me feel a little better.

6. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    Comparing my art to my little sisters' I don't actually have a issue with putting myself down because my art isn't to a certain standard. I know people are better than me at it, and that will always be the case no matter how much I improve. I do it for fun, so I feel no real pressure to be perfect.

7. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Seeing the improvement I've made really helps. I get a lot of my motivation from seeing other art forms (such as anime and movies) and it inspires me to make some of my own art. Although I don't think I can replicate what inspired me, I know I can use the inspiration to create something of my own and that's what makes it special! Only you can make your own art, so embrace the creativity and enjoy putting something together that you will like to look at. :D

8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I manage to motivate myself to write by saying its something I have to do and specify a time to do the work. The rest just comes naturally. By saying I have to do something, I can do anything. That's how I get things done.

9. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    With my stories I sometimes get too busy and lose motivation to continue. But then I look at the other abandoned stories on FanFiction and I become determined not to become like those authors, who left their stories behind. School holidays coming up soon so hopefully I'll get another chapter or two done.

10. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I think that what @AeroHail said earlier fits the bill, and should motivate every artist. Art is what you make of it, and while others argue endlessly about what objectively makes art good, what truly matters is that you're making something entirely your own, and no one else is ever going to make it the way you envision it. People have their own inspirations for making art--personally, I use it as emotional solace and an outlet for ideas that come to my head--and yes, there are techniques that can help improve your art in order to better communicate your vision. But at it's core, art is still just that: your vision. At the end of the day, that's what inspires me.

AeroHail likes this.
  11. UnstoppableGamer

UnstoppableGamer Attention Seeker~

(Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,435.0
    Great Ball ★★Poké Ball ★Dome Fossil ★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★
    I usually amp myself up by reminding myself that I have a story to tell. No one but me knows the stories I imagine and as such I have to write them. The same is with my drawings, no one can see what I see in my mind and I need to draw it. That is how I get myself positive.

12. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I guess when I look at my first art on dA, it does make me feel happy about my current work. Looking at what I'm able to do motivates me into doing more, especially since I've been feeling pretty good about my art recently.

13. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    In art class, I just look at the artwork(s) of one of the boys in our class. It makes my self-esteem rise.

Mandriel likes this.
  14. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I suppose when I'm bad at something, I don't think of it as something I'm 'bad' at. Rather, I think of it as something that I can improve on. For example, I feel I have trouble posing my characters in ways that don't make them look stiff. So, rather than thinking "Wow, I suck at posing", I've started to think, "Okay, I'm getting good at anatomy, I just need to keep working on how to pose my characters"

Remembering what my strong points are also helps. If I'm feeling particularly terrible about one part of a creative project turning out bad, I try and focus on the things that I like about it to stay in a good headspace as I work on what I feel is lacking.

Also, looking at my old art or writing helps a lot. It makes me realise how much I've improved and how much I can still get better.

15. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    I don't really do much of anything. I write either because I want to write or because I feel that I should write (I tend not to get much done in the later case). I draw whenever I feel like drawing (which is almost never).

16. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I've never had this problem with writing, which I feel intensely lucky for. There's always, of course, those moments where I'm seeing issues that nobody else is, but they don't nag at me and I think my writing turns out well regardless.

I have a lot of issues with my art, though. I can't get myself to think it's good (I'd be lying!). But I do know that every time I draw, I'm getting a little bit better and learning something new. That keeps me going.

17. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I look back on comments and reviews of my works....they're usually very positive and sweet, which makes me feel a lot happier and inspired to keep moving forward. Really, without the lovely words people drop off I dunno how motivated I'd have been to continue drawing. Positivity, especially in regards to creativity, really spreads =')

18. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I remember that I'm creating art for myself, as an outlet and because I always want to improve!

Sometimes I think people forget that improving your art doesn't necessarily mean having the most hyper-realistic style. I used to keep trying to achieve a hyper-realistic style even though deep down, I thought it was boring and I only did it because I wanted other people to think I was the best artist.

After taking a two year break from art, I started drawing for myself and realized I like drawing in my own style a lot more than trying to copy down a photo and make it look identical. I also started experimenting with color rather than keeping everything black and white. Now I feel much more relaxed when I draw, which I think is how it should be.

19. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Always Have This Problem Whenever I Saw My Older Art. Some Are Okay But Some Need To Be Remake.

When I Remake, Again And Again, It Makes Feel Like As The Art Is Following Ahead. I Feel Comfort When I Was In My Comfort Zone But I Always Into Outside Of My Zone If Needed.

Talking About That, I May Want To Draw My Favourite Mascot Again With The Fact It Is A Long Time Since I Last Drew Them.

20. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I feel little more confident with drawing and am planning to do things with it.

@Barandofl should feel content with his art. It looks fine to me!!!