1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Cross your heart and hope to die...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LostSpirit, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    ...stick a needle into your eye.

We hear that term tossed around a lot, "I promise" or "I swear," but to toss something around so easily is sort of wrong to do.

Do you make promises a lot? And more importantly, do you keep them? Or are you one of those people who've never made a promise, or at least one you couldn't keep?

How does it feel to break a promise, or have someone break their promise to you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Yes, I make a lot of promises. I find this Thread with the word "DN or "Xarn" on the Tittle hahaha. I promise a lot because I try to give te best from me. Sometimes I forget about some promises and If it was important, i feel really bad...but it almost never happens. Well, if we count the number of promises that the people made to me and failed, and you give me a coin for everytime...I should have like 50 USD. I keep my promises as long as I can :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShiroLugia

ShiroLugia ✂ No Longer Human.

PokéPoints:
    ₽478.5
    I make promises when necessary, but if I'm asked to keep even the tiniest ones, I usually do unless I convince myself there is an absolute reason for me not to. I usually feel bad when I break the tiniest of promises. When people break promises with me however, especially if it is someone whom I have kept a promise with, I am usually greatly upset. I don't know why but I take promises very seriously... Uwaaah please don't break promises!

4. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I'll only make a promise if I'm 100% sure I can do it. I don't want to let others down, after all. I've had many promises broken so I know what it's like.

5. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    To be honest I try not to promise stuff as I might end up breaking it and that would make me feel bad, and others too. It probably isn't a good idea to promise stuff as you never know what can happen to end up breaking a promise.

6. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I prefer assurances and guarantees over swears and promises; it makes the person on the other end sound more legitimate. I feel that the whole "promise, swear" thing is more for the small talk folk. That being said, I haven't made a "swear" or "promise" since I was about 12 or 13 years old.

7. Prosecutor

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    "Don't make promises that you can't keep" - some smart dude

I don't make promises all that much just in case I can't fulfill them. An empty promise is as bad as an empty stomach and I just don't want to commit if there is any doubt that I can't/won't do it.

8. Phantom of Music

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Oh, I keep promises, it don't matter what it is. I also keep my end of bets. @[member="Mega Lucario"] knows this because I lost a bet and have to go to the formal with him. (Not that I have a problem with that :-) My only problem is the damn dress.)
    But ask any of my friends. I keep promises and stick to them.
    An empty promise? Pisses me off. If you can't do something, don't make an empty promise about it peoples, jeez!

9. Aurelia

Aurelia Supporter

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    As said in the above few comments, I refuse to make promises that I cannot keep unless by all means I will pull through with it. I have been let down, by a lot of people, including my family members, so I just never had that luxury of staying with a promise or attempt one.

10. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    I always (try to) keep my promises, since I know that people will feel bad if I break a promise and then I will feel bad too. This also causes me to be really carefull with what I promise.

11. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    I don't tend to make promises just in case I can't fulfill them. Instead I'll usually say something like "I'll see what I can do," or "I'll do my best." If I broke that promise, it lets me feel a little better since I never really promised anything, though I still hate letting people down.

12. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    I don't make promises to a lot of people, simply because I know I won't keep them. Unless I know I'll get something done, I won't promise I'm doing it, because getting promises broken sucks. I hate when someone breaks a promise to me, so I try to avoid that entire situation.

13. Kano

Kano whelp

Mew Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽31.0
    I don't make promises a lot, because there's no guarantee that I'd be able to keep them. I mean, as far as "I promise we'll do this thing, or go here, or etc", because my schedule gets so hectic. I do make promises to friends that I'll stick with them, though, and those I usually keep, because I don't break friendships if it's up to me.

For any small thing, I usually keep it to "I'll really try" instead of "I promise".

14. 8542Madness

PokéPoints:
    ₽153.9
    Me and promises are a serious thing. I don't make a promise I won't keep, and I'd rather suffer harshly before breaking one. I don't just go around giving out promises for random stuff, so if I make a promise in the first place, it's serious business. The only time I will ever break a promise is if I think keeping the promise would endanger somebody, and I still feel like a horrible person afterward. I've had promises to me broken before, and it hurts like hell. I don't want to put others through that, which is one of the biggest reasons I don't make promises I can't keep.

15. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    I make promises a lot, but people never like to keep them. Not that I have any good secrets to share anyway, everyone knows them sooner or later~
    I don't tend to tell secrets, unless it's a huge ting, that's a matter of life and death.

16. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I very rarely outright actually promise to do something since I worry about whether or not I'll be able to live up to that promise but when I do say it you can bet I try my hardest to ensure it'll end up as something I can end up doing. Part of me worries about hurting or upsetting others so even if they aren't too bothered when I can't fulfill a promise it would still make me feel much better if I were to go through with what I said. So it's primarily for my sake, really, but the happiness of others is important too. I'm that, "don't make promises you can't keep" type of person.

17. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I try not to make promises unless it's a REALLY big deal. Too many things can happen, and I don't want to carry the weight or title of broken promises.

I broke a pinky promise once (it was a big, important promise), maybe five or six years ago. Since then, I won't make pinky promises. Period. I even feel bad if I have to hook my pinky finger around something, like to pick up that last lightweight grocery bag. That event still hangs over me.

18. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I consider my word to be my bond. I will not promise anything unless I am sure that I will be able to follow through on it, and once I have made a promise, I shall see it through to its end, regardless of potential future consequences to myself. I take the words "I promise" very seriously, and not to be tossed around frivolously. I do not hold other people to that obligation as I (my standards on other people are relatively low), but I take what I say with utmost respect, and if my words are not worthy of trust, neither are my actions. Honesty is my policy.

19. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    I always try my hardest to keep my promises, and usually do for the most part. The catch is that I'll only promise something if I know for a fact that I can fulfill it for the other person, both because I wouldn't want someone to think I'm untrustworthy for making and breaking a promise, and because I'd genuinely be disappointed with myself for not keeping up my end.. So instead, "I'll try" or "I'll see what I can do", etc. are phrases I'll use in place of making a set-in-stone promise to someone.

20. Sierra

Sierra no, thank you.

PokéPoints:
    ₽48.8
    When I make a promise, I fulfill it, no matter what. I don't want anyone to be disappointed simply because I promised and never fulfill it. I've been through that mistake in the past and I lost a friend for that. So that way, I'm careful on making promises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.