1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Defining Beauty

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LostSpirit, Nov 6, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    How do you define beauty? Is it purely on the outside or is it what's inside that's beautiful? After, beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? Everyone has their own personal definition, so what's yours?

Personally, I believe beauty is an aspect that anyone can have. It can be their personality, their looks, their talents, etc. However, I can't base beauty on just one factor. It's a multitude of things that come together to make a person or thing unique in a way. There are so many different psychological, philosophical, and physiological aspects to consider which makes beauty such a broad term.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Warrior of Hope likes this.
  2. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    Personally, it depends what I'm trying to define as "beautiful".
    A person, an item, a song, etc.

For people, it honestly depends on the person. I'll keep it short by not getting into that.
    For an item (a flower for example), I can't define it's beauty by it's history or anything, so I just define it's beauty by it's physical appearance.
    For music, I'll usually determine it by the lyrics and what they mean, and usually how the song sounds itself, of course.

All different kinds of definitions for all different kinds of stuff.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    I see the whole "conventionally attractive" buzzword tossed around a lot in the line of conversation in my neck of the wood-world. Yet I have yet to meet a single person who, to me, fits the profile of being 'conventionally attractive' -- if anything, I've seen lots of unconventionally attractive guys 'n' gals haunting the joint that is my personal life. Personally, and I agree with Sanctuary here, it all depends on the type of people involved. And, without trying to sound like a walking cliché here, it really is a matter of "different stokes for different folks," -- what I consider attractive might appal the next person and visa versa.

4. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    Anything can be beautiful. A person, a place, a thing. From some rags on the street that could tell a whole story to the way someone laughs so hard they can barely breathe. Everything and anything can be beautiful, it just depends on the person seeing it. The "beholder".

5. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Yeah, as the posters above already pointed out, beauty is a purely subjective term. One object can both be extremely beautiful and terribly ugly, all depending on the eye of the beholder. Also, this is the said definition of beauty:

So from this we can officially conclude that beauty is definitely not solely based on how something looks. As long as it gives you a feeling of pleasure or satisfaction, in other words 'make you happy', is can be considered beautiful.

6. Pixil

Pixil Pokémon Professor

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.7
    It really depends like most people have said, but for me a huge factor tends to be naturalness. (looked it up, it's a word heh.) Of course, that doesn't mean I'll find everything natural beautiful (ants, for example, are disgusting to me lol) or that I won't find anything that isn't natural beautiful. I just tend to love things that are raw and real, if you know what I mean. I love nature (the sky and ocean are magical to me) and I love seeing people in their natural state, not manipulated, for example. Of course stuff like makeup and other efforts by humans can be beautiful, too - but there's just something very special, a different and stronger kind of beauty, about things that haven't been heavily altered and are true to itself, you know? That's just my perception.

7. Prosecutor

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    True beauty is defined by how somebody looks without any makeup on and how they treat themselves and others. I don't really like "hot" or "sexy" girls as much as I like shy and cute girls.

8. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    If you ask me, true beauty isn't based solely on looks: it comes from deep inside the person. Even if the person is nowhere near conventional beauty, the person can still be absolutely stunning on the inside. If you ask me, it's all about personality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.