1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Describe your writing style.

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Junkrat, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    As the title says, how would you describe your writing style? Do you short, choppy sentences? Or are they more drawn out? Do you write in first or third person?

I think I write in what's called poetic prose, in that I rely heavily on the use of metaphors and other things to deliver descriptive sentences. I typically write in first person now, but I'm dabbling more into third person again!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PoserPanda likes this.
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    Third person descriptive. I have a specific line limit for each paragraph, and I also like very descriptive stories, so I've brought this into my writing style. Also, it's a lot easier to write as a hundred people instead of one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    im not actually sure?? from what others have said I tend to focus on the tiniest little details which really brings the story to life and sensory words are easy to find in my works. other have said it has a charm of being simple and to the point, yet I manage to get every little thing in the paragraph. but idk myself is trainwreck acceptable lmao

I write in present tense 3rd person!! my works often follow one character in particular but it might also give details to the other one sometimes? like a 80/20 split or somethin.

4. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I write in first person a lot but third person in fanfics.
    I like to really focus on describing my characters emotions beyond just 'he clenched his fists' 'she started to tear up' using analogies and things like that.

5. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I'd say my writing style is descriptive to the point of being unnecessary. Some details or characters I will skimp out on, while other possibly side characters, get more development than what they probably should. I tend to write in first person, as it is easier and third person if I want to build a world. I've gotten better at placing commas and not using too many "To be" verbs where they aren't needed. I tend to try and be a little too subversive, so some of my stories (all of two) may come off as confusing.

At least I can be happy about the fact that I can spell and punctuate pretty easily.

6. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Usually Write-In First-Person View And Always Try To Write Long Sentence.

7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I’m very sarcastic and kinda want to be like I’m telling the story to a friend. I also swear in it for emphasis on things or if a swear just works.

8. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Huh. I’m not sure how to describe my writing style, but I guess I’ll start with the basics.

I’ve been writing in third person and I can’t recall the last time I wrote in first... maybe I should add that to my bucket list. I’ve been told I incorporate very descriptive similes and metaphors and that my writing is well-paced (which, in my opinion, was a compliment of the highest order! I’ve been working on pacing for years!). I like to vary my sentence structure which helps that factor a lot.

9. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,351.7
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Slapstick Comedy but nothing's funny. It just looks incredibly stupid and sounds like a ten-year-old is writing. I do third person most of the time, over-describe everything that exists, and am terrible at setting up subplots.

10. Darkmaster006

Darkmaster006 PKMN Breeder

Airi
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 48
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,894.9
    Third person always, not for any particular reason. I'd say I use many formal grammatical constructions and I try to give details on everything, especially on emotions and movements.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I suppose I write mostly in a third person perspective that could pass as first in some ways, since it's mostly from one focus character's perspective. Anything that wouldn't be noticed by the focus character at a given moment I won't mention, and similarly things will be mentioned when they would be noticed by the focus character. If this person is observant, I might have more observant detail. If this person is more casual or groggy, I won't include as vivid detail because the details that aren't affecting the focus character shouldn't affect the reader either.

When this comes to dialogue, sometimes I'll implement a flow choice that I'm deliberately taking from Neil Gaiman. If he wants dialogue to go by faster (especially dialogue that doesn't matter, or that the focus character won't pay attention to), he'll replace part of that dialogue entirely with brief narration explaining what was said.

"So how were the cookies I gave you?" Zero asked Two, who said that they were tasty, thank you, but seemed quite over sweet. "I think I've already perfected the bake time, but I'm going to add another ingredient to make the next batch give people superpowers. You know: sugar, spice, everything nice, and chemical X."

Zero wasn't paying much attention to Two's critique, he was more focused on bragging about his next plans. Since the focus character Zero wasn't paying attention, why should the reader? Gaiman does it better, but I think you get what I mean.

As far as structure, I suppose I vary there as well based on character focus. Quick things get quick sentences. Emotional or lingering things will get sentences that linger similarly, or often hang around uncomfortably long because still the focus character at the moment is dealing with this stimulus longer than would be wanted, and sometimes it seems like it will never end, but like all things it must eventually. I have no upper or lower limits on paragraphs. Strictly as needed by purpose of dialogue or topic sequence of whatever else feels right.

Darkmaster006 likes this.
  12. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I always write in third person, though I have dabbled a bit in first person. I try to have every chapter or section be focused on just a single character though, just because it keeps things from getting confusing. As for my content, I tend to focus most on emotions and thoughts, with actions and movements thrown in there for emphasis.

13. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,152.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I’ll write both first and third person but I prefer first person. It sounds more natural to me. I get very descriptive if I’m describing a new setting. I also try hard to add in foreshadowing because I find it to be very important in writing. I’m not sure if makes sense to others that it’s supposed to be foreshadowing.

14. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have a very interesting writing style. When I write, I write with logic, reason, and accurate descriptions. Most of the time, a writing style like this is boring because the story will feel dry and devoid of emotion or good descriptors. So, I switched perspectives and now work only in first person. Since I so desperately care for accurate descriptions, the most accurate description is one where there is tons of unrecognizable emotions because I have to take into account how the character will feel about a situation with extreme intimacy. I'm bad at emotion and this first person approach, along with my writing style, forces me to consider the emotion of the protagonist like never before. I also consider what the main character would logically see and describe it often in too much detail. This writing style is a fantastic help with writing fictional worlds or plots, but it isn't so good at helping me put words on the page.

15. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Describing one’s own writing style is really difficult, but I’ll try my best. I generally write in a direct manner with a mixture of long and short sentences to sound casual, yet well thought out. My first person writing can falter a bit because I rely on “I” a lot. As a way to make my first person on par with my third person, I started to try more autobiographical types of projects.

16. LuluRina

LuluRina Swimmer

(Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽294.5
    I haven't really developed my writing style yet, but I guess I'll try to describe it.

I usually write in third person and in past tense, and I put in a little detail, yet I haven't gotten around to put in a whole lot.

I also like to foreshadow if I can, and also lead the reader astray and believe things that aren't true.