1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

TV / Movies DiC Video Game Cartoons That Never Were

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BZRich64, Jan 3, 2020.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    DiC Entertainment was an old animation company founded in the seventies, famous for shows such as Inspector Gadget and The Real Ghost Busters. In the late 80s through the 90s they produces several shows based off of video game licenses, including: The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, The Legend of Zelda, Captain N: Game Master, The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog (often known as Sonic SatAM), Double Dragon and Sonic Underground. The quality of these series varied and was often quite debatable now but those who watched them as kids tend to have fond memories of these shows. However, there were also several other video game cartoons that DiC apparently planned to make at some point put ultimately scrapped during development. Specifically, promotional posters for four of these shows were sold at the estate auction of a former DiC employee. To my knowledge, nothing is known about these potential cartoons other than what is shown in the posters, but some information can be gathered from them. Notably, they all have a banner in the top-right corner advertising them as part of the "Super Mario Bros. Power Hour", which presumably was planned as a follow up to The Super Mario Bros. Super Show before TAoSMB3 became a thing, which would have included episodes of these series as part of an hour-long block, similar to how Super Show included episodes of The Legend of Zelda. (Source: Kotaku)
    [​IMG]
    You may have noticed that I already mentioned Double Dragon in the list of video game cartoons that DiC did make. You may have even seen the 26 episode series which ran from 1993-1994. If you have seen that series, then you can probably tell just from a glance that this poster is not for the Double Dragon cartoon they ended up making. This shows a series that would have been much more faithful to the source material than the final product turned into, which apparently involved the main characters dressing up in dragon-themed armor and wielding scimitars for some reason. Presumably DiC decided that a more street-level brawler probably wouldn't have caught on with kids, or at least that's what my guess would be for why they would veer so far off of the source material compared to what this poster shows.
    [​IMG]
    I had never even heard of California Games before, but apparently it was a sports game released for the Apple II and Commodore 64 that included surfing, roller-skating, motocross, frisbee, half-pipe skateboarding and hackysack. The poster makes it look like the series would have been a beach-themed comedy series, but that's just about all I could tell you from this.
    [​IMG]
    These monsters were definitely all in the original Castlevania game. Those kids with the flashlight definitely aren't Belmonts, though. It looks like this series probably would have featured a couple of normal kids stuck in the hunted castle known as Castlevania. How this would have related to Captain N, which featured Simon Belmont as a major character and saw several appearances from Castlevania itself and characters such as Dracula and Alucard, I couldn't tell you. I'm guessing this was pitched before Captain N was made and some ideas for this series likely made their way into Captain N.
    [​IMG]
    I've heard that one of the people in charge of Captain N had no idea who Samus was, which is why she never appeared in the show despite Mother Brain being the main antagonist. That excuse was already shaky, but the fact that this poster shows some random dude in Samus' armor somehow both supports and counters that claim. I'm also not really sure if that bug-eyed pink monster is supposed to be a Space Pirate or Ridley. While I'm really curious so see what they would have done with this show, I'm really, really glad we didn't end up a Metroid cartoon staring male Samus. That would have been awful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    As I have just watched a YouTube video about collecting cell animation frames from DiC cartoons, this thread is quite timely. But your opinions and examples are already informed and decisive on their own, so your thread has twice the attraction it could have had originally.

I myself know nothing about Samus, but the fact that they would go so far as to make her a guy is a little strange. I suppose if it wasn't widely known that Samus was a girl in the first game, this might make a little bit of sense. But if it wasn't a surprise to be uncovered, then I can only see it as someone thinking that Samus sounds more like a male's name, than for a female. There might have even been an expanded force of Samus-esque space ...pirates? [I don't know what job Samus has.] that form a team to destroy evil in pink. Perhaps instead of being alone, Samus would have a crew or a family, and that's what the poster could have been trying to show off. It's not a great idea, but it is the only one I can think of that doesn't entirely get rid of Samus.

Maybe with this version of Double Dragon, the creators of the show would be able to show something a little less for children and more for an older audience. It could be an idea that they would play one version for kids, and this faithful show could be more intense. But perhaps there wasn't enough money to do both shows at the same time, so they continued with what was already being produced.

I'm kind of getting a 'Meet the Munsters' Vibe from the Castlevania poster, and I honestly wouldn't mind watching something like that with the character enemies from that game. Or maybe it is a bit more spooky and the monsters enlist the two male characters to bring them daily human sacrifices to feed on. The poster could be a pull-in for families, when it might not suit all ages. Kind of like the Watership Down movie. [At least, it wasn't good for me to watch.]

The only poster I can't see anything very interesting about, is the California Games. There might be a slice-of-life, or a sitcom aspect to the characters shown, but other than that I can't think of an interesting way to frame that game to tv show. And maybe the producers couldn't either. The cool thing is that everyone pictured is doing something different, posing differently, with all different body types. That's at least cool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...