1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Digital or Traditional Art?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Wings, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Digital or Traditional?

1. Digital art

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Traditional art

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Both!

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I think there’s a thread like this already, but it’s years old so I’m creating a new one!

For all you artists out there, do you prefer drawing digitally, or drawing traditionally (traditionally being, on paper or any sort of medium that isn’t a tablet/computer)?

If you draw digitally, what kinds of tools do you find helpful? If you draw traditionally, what’s your favorite medium (watercolor, ink, acrylic etc)?

I’ve drawn traditionally my entire life, but my friend and I really want to create our own small comic one day so I was thinking of switching to digital. Right now, I just do pen sketches and occasionally watercolor since it’s been a while since I drew consistently and practiced. I’d also like to get better at watercolor and eventually have an art Instagram!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Wings!! Long time no see! o/

I prefer to draw digitally, although I don't have a tablet anymore. But, when I used to, drawing digitally was a lot more accurate and convenient. It's easier to see if proportions are off, and also much easier to edit any mistakes. I sometimes draw traditionally, with a pencil, but I'm not good at it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wings likes this.
  3. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Hi!! I see you changed your username :D It took me a second but you used to be vaporwave right?

I’ve heard that drawing digitally can “ruin” people’s ability to draw traditional art because they get so used to fixing proportions on the tablet in a way that they can’t do on paper. I can’t draw proportionally either way :P

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    It's an odd mix of both: I like both because of the perks associated with each one. Personally, I started with traditional art and I've been doing it longer so it feels more natural to hold a pencil. However, there's no undo button or free transform on a piece of paper which I admittedly abuse a lot on digital...

Conversely, digital allows me to really bring my stuff to life and it definitely helps me visualize things more (especially OCs) but it takes longer: one step on traditional (just draw the thing) compared to at least five steps (sketch, lineart, flat color, shading, and lighting). Also it's more awkward for me to draw since I'm not holding anything, I'm literally using my hand! And I can't forget the process of emailing files to myself to fetch them on a computer...

So which one do I prefer? For bigger pieces that I want to see often and/or as a finished idea, I'll break out my tablet and go digital. For quicker concept sketches and generally things I don't want to waste much time on, I'll take a pencil and sketch it on paper.

Wings likes this.
  5. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Alright. Let me put the advantages of digital.

1. Color wheel.
    2. Layering.
    3. Fill tool.
    4. Undo/Redo.
    5. Zoom
    Now, the advantages of traditional.
    1. The nice pencil-y effect.
    2. The maneuverability of a pencil or whatever. (if like me you dont have a drawing tablet with stylus)

Gwoomy and Wings like this.
  6. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I like both. I started with traditional and then now I am trying to do digital. I like both, they have their own advantages and disadvantages.
    Tradational is very nice for beginners as digital is hard however it can be different deoending upon people's perspective.

Wings likes this.
  7. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I knew digital art was complex, but I didn’t know there were that many steps! On average how long does it take to complete all of them?

8. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    That's just my process, though. I know some people can make flawless sketches because their programs allow it, and the mobile version of Medibang, albeit powerful, is weaker than the desktop so it takes me a bit. Even then I sometimes make colored sketches that totally skip any finished lineart and lighting stuff.

On average? My fully-colored and shaded (and background, which I didn't include since at times I just use a flat color and darker accents, and that takes like five minutes) things take around two or three hours? Definitely longer than pencil sketching but only due to all the stuff I do to finish it. I have done other things with very complex watercolored backgrounds/characters that have taken as long as six hours, though. Then again, I never do backgrounds on traditional...

Probably the step that takes the longest is the lineart but sometimes it's the sketch. It just depends if the drawing wants to work with me, haha.

Wings likes this.
  9. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I love both digital and traditional art. But I personally only draw digitally. I find digital art much easier to work with because you can make lines smooth. Whereas my hand is too shaky in real life to draw anything traditionally.

I agree with Pokemist. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Wings likes this.
  10. Baratheon

Baratheon Ours is the Fury

Slash
    (Zekrom Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽378.4
    Soothe Bell ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I think it really depends on the size of the finished project for me. For little stuff like my recent paint pen adventures, it's nice to do traditional, but the nice thing about digital is the lack of spending on more materials! I think generally I prefer the control of traditional but the sleek look of digital.

Wings likes this.
  11. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'm sort of mixed media, I do things other than drawing, but I mostly draw since I have better accessibility to supplies. I mostly prefer digital for a really weird reason. I hate how paper feels. It's more noticeable when writing with pencil, but whenever I set my hand down on paper it kind of makes me cringe. The plastic surface of my tablet feels a lot smoother. Also, running out of pencils is kind of a hassle. Really it's mostly an availability thing for me. If I had one of those gloves that prevents smearing so my hand wouldn't have to touch the paper and I had an unlimited supply of pencils, I'd probably do traditional more often. I also like how real pencils, paper, and erasers smell.

Wings likes this.
  12. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I mainly focus on digital, although I find it easier to sketch things on a piece of paper rather than with a drawing tablet. I prefer digital more just because I can do more with it, especially when it comes to effects, and it just looks a lot cleaner and more detailed to me. I like being able to do things with Photoshop that I normally couldn't using traditional methods.
    Also erasing things is more of a pain for me on paper.
    :sweat:

Wings likes this.
  13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I am very much a digital person ever since I got my drawing tablet :P I still do traditional once in a blue moon, but usually the only time I draw on paper is for sketches, final little touchups.

Wings likes this.
  14. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,620.6
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    "I mainly focus on digital, although I find it easier to sketch things on a piece of paper rather than with a drawing tablet. I prefer digital more just because I can do more with it, especially when it comes to effects, and it just looks a lot cleaner and more detailed to me. I like being able to do things with Photoshop that I normally couldn't using traditional methods."
    Basically all that Soundwave said except that I use FireAlpaca haha. And even though I can’t access my tablet really often, so I doodle a lot traditionally at school e.g.

Wings and Grimwave like this.
  15. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    All my finished art is digital, but I like sketching on paper to get my ideas down first. I don't have a lot of traditional art supplies so digital art is pretty much the only option for me. It's also way easier to do lineart digitally, and you can have any colour which is great.

Wings likes this.
  16. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I do a bit of both. Most of my sketches are done on paper because I find it easier to get anatomy right traditionally for some reason. I usually touch up my sketches (shade, colour, etc) digitally though, because I'm not the best with colouring in with pencils.

Wings likes this.
  17. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Ayyy it’s Wings! Hugs Wings

Personally, I would prefer to do digital art. I just don’t have any program, but intend to play around with one as soon as I get a new computer or tablet. A lot of times I’ll do a rough sketch of what I want to do and then combine/narrow down/eliminate ideas. Sometimes it takes me a while to decide :P

Wings likes this.
  18. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    i personally like both!! my traditional art is for more minimal stuff or for quick sketches, and i use digital for actual things i want colored and shading and everything! i usually only post my digital stuff so i do that a bit more often.

its pretty weird doing both at the start but you eventually get used to how different paper and tablet feel, looking at the paper after looking at the screen/vise versa, how paper has no undos or effects, or how long each takes. my digital stuff takes significantly longer but its worth it... hopefully lol

Wings likes this.
  19. Phanderr

Phanderr Bug Catcher

Ruby
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽39.0
    I like digital art, its easier :P

20. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I prefer traditional art. It's really relaxing for me. Sometimes if I have a picture that I'm really pleased with or I want to share it online then I take a picture of it and touch up on it a bit with my tablet. Other than that, I'll stick to my sketchpad and pencil.