1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

*ding* Achievement unlocked!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Whilst video game achievements have been around since their creation - in the form of high scores and leaderboards, as well as in-game milestones and logs - the seventh generation of video games consoles saw rise to Achievements (on the 360) and Trophies (on the PS3) which are viewable on your profile and contribute towards your overall gamer score or profile level, respectively. Whilst not a requirement, many Steam games also offer achievements, as well as badges earned naturally through gameplay that can be sold and traded on the market.

Since then they have gained significant popularity and become a standardised part of video game releases, to the point that all games released on Sony and Microsoft consoles are required to have a list of trophies/achievements for players to unlock.

How do you feel about achievements and trophies in video games? Have you ever tried to acquire every achievement/trophy for a game before? Do you feel that these things add value and replayability to a video game, or are they unimportant in the grand scheme of things? If they offered more substantial rewards (for example, earning Platinum trophies in games can now actually earn you prizes in the US) would you be more inclined to try getting them?

Additionally, would you like to see Nintendo hop on the bandwagon and incorporate such a system in their games in the future?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    So with achievements on the Playstation, it does the thing where it notifies you in game and let's you click the Playstation button to view what achievement it is and what you unlocked. I think that's pretty neat and 9/10 I'll actually click it and check through to see if it was anything cool.

On to the subject of achievements, uhh I'm neutral on them. I have no problem with them cause I bet it adds a layer of gaming complexity for some but on the other hand, I rarely go out of my way to get them done. It may be cause the games I play, I haven't beaten yet so I guess if you've beaten a game and still want to play it, having the achievements to be unlocked adds a new dimension so I guess it really just depends. Cool thread!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I'd love to see Nintendo implement an achievement system at some point. When playing on my Xbox One, it's nice to just be doing whatever and then randomly get an achievement. There isn't any physical value to it, but it is nice to receive it. The achievement list gives me a bunch of things to do when I'm otherwise not sure of what to do with a game.

Super Mario Odyssey, for example, had an amazing list of achievements that really made me want to go out and do everything in the game. I want this to be implemented into the console so I can enjoy this feature outside of just individual games.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,631.2
    I like achievements, for the most parts. Ones earned by just going through the story tend to be kind of boring and unnecessary most of the time (although I've seen games play around with them before, which can be fun). Achievements for other accomplishments and side-stuff, on the other hand, add more to the game by giving you more things to do and goals to accomplish. Just so long as they don't overdo it with the number/difficulty of achievements I think that they can be a very fun and rewarding part of a game.

5. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I like achievements from Xbox 360/One.
    In halo reach, there was this in achievement tat required you to do a very hard, specific thing on a certain mission on the highest difficulty. You had to jump off a tall cliff and assasinate an Elite to stop yourself from falling. Keep in mind, this elite moves often, and memorizing its movements are futile, because every time you restart it, it changes where it goes. All this you have to do without it spotting you, and you only receive that particular achievement if you beat the rest of the level as well. If you died once, you had to do it again or else finishing the level after dying won't give you the achievement. The level was the Pillar of Autumn.

Anyways, great game, and Xbox one had some challenging achievements as well, but that Halo Reach achievement was by far, the hardest achievement to get on any Xbox console.

6. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Aside from checking the percentage of players who unlocked an achievement I unlocked, I’m pretty neutral on them. They add replayability to the game, but I’m not enough of a completionist to go after them. Especially since you don’t get anything worthwhile for getting them.

7. Bayporeon

Bayporeon School Kid

Hestia
    (Fennekin)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽68.0
    I become a hella completionist if I enjoy a game enough, so throughout my playthrough of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy I've been trying for every trophy as well as the ingame skill points. There's something about having all of those icons visible and that 100% with the platinum trophy that's extremely satisfying to me. There are some games I won't really actively gun for achievements in, though. I don't really do it on Steam games, for instance. I want to try and get all the achievements for Stardew Valley but you'd have to physically possess me to get me to demolish the community center

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I don't care much about achievements of any sort. I'd much rather have it be in the form of an in-game reward, even if it's cosmetic. Rather than a jingle and an icon, grant me a weapon or a color scheme. How can I prove I defeated an optional boss? By the sword I got! How can I prove I beat the game with no health packs? With my new sparkly cape! I for one get a grater sense of achievement from that, even if it is less social.

These are the kind of achievements that I don't like. They seem more often to me like a fifth-grade graduation ceremony. Congratulations, you did what you were expected to do. Or rather, 40% of what you are expected to do. I find more often than not that these kinds of achievements are just spoilers. I'll look through the achievements list on Steam before I'm done with the game and I'll see something like "Survive Bestfriend's traitorous ambush on your party". Thanks for the spoiler, thanks for letting me know that only 60% of people who bought this game bothered to get to the third act, and thanks for making it permanently known that it took me eight months to defeat this boss.

9. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I like achievements, but I'm not a platinum trophy hunter that have to have everything before I feel like is complete. There are some games where I want to get all achievements tho just because I really love the game, sadly that's not always possible because is just crazy stuff they want you to do or I'm just not good enough.

Would be kinda neat if Nintendo jumped on the wagon too but is not something I super want to see since I'm just a filthy trophy casual.

10. LuluRina

LuluRina Swimmer

(Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽294.5
    I like going after achievements. In fact, achievements and goals are part of what makes me enjoy a game

However I won't go hard core and go "I need all the achievements" So yea, casual trophy collector here :)

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    To be honest, I don't really care for them. I never actively try to achieve them so I end up just getting them from playing the game. To me, they don't really add a whole lot to the game because I don't care for them, and don't care to go get them.