1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you associate people with their avatars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Achromatic, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I don't give people personalities or voices based on their avatar, but I kinda imagine them like that x)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    i pretty much try to get personalities from usernames and avatars,, and sometimes looks, but not so much. xD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Furie

Furie Black Belt

Slagros
    (Umbreon)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽60.9
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on what sort of avatars they use and whether they use similar characters all the time or completely switch it up.

4. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I do. I associate people with their avatars. I think avatars say a lot about a person. It's an image that they want to represent em. I don't know and it may be incorrect but in my opinion person's avatar say a lot if we try to understand. But maybe that's just me

5. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I do and the more you stay around a place, the more used to it you get. I change my avatar a bunch though so it's always neat to find something nice to change to.

6. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've actually started to associate people more with the Pokémon they've sort of chosen to present themselves as. Like Marine's a shiny Furret, Vig is a Pikachu, Achro is a Magikarp, and, though I don't see them as often as I used to, Delete is an Absol and Illusion is a Zorua. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but there are a lot. I'd be a Riolu obviously. I think I became more aware of this after the halloween event where everyone picked a Pokémon to accompany their signature on the halloween banner thing.

It's kind of interesting to me that people tend to identify themselves with a Pokémon and that there's such a wide variety of Pokémon across the forum.

7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Another thing I tend to notice over time is, as far as avatars are concerned, how often that person changes the avatar.

If somebody keeps the same avatar for a long while - like at least a couple months, or even just never changes - then I tend to associate the avatar with that person. If the avatars change frequently, then I don't even bother; after all if it's going to change in a week or two, then there's not much worth to me assigning that mental image to that person.

And as time has passed, I've noticed I'm not matching anyone's avatars to anyone here anymore. They just change too often for me to associate anything with anyone.

8. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    If it's a human avatar, I tend to think they might resemble the avatar (although I try not to do so). I do use the avatar to get an idea of what the person might be interested in.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    On the point of whether a person changes their avatar frequently or not, when a person changes frequently I tend to associate the person more with their art style if they make their own avatars.

10. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Everyone is their avatar and if it changes I have no clue who they are. It takes me forever to get used to it.

11. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I apologise in advance for changing my avatar about once every 2 weeks.

12. Palamon

Palamon Silence is Purple

Guren
    (Azelf)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽59.6
    No, I don't. I used to picture people as their icons, but not so much anymore. I outgrew that years ago.

13. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I change my avatar as soon as I get bored of it so this can be once every other day, once a week, or however often I need to. Apologies in advance to anyone this confuses. 8D

But yes, I do associate people with their avatars. It's fun, really!

14. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Given how I tend to do the very same thing, apology accepted.

I like to try and get a lock on at least one avatar that person has used. If possible I'll refer back to that one. With all the changing and whatnot, I try to just pick or remember just one avatar that person has used, and associate the person more closely with that one. In some cases this can be tricky, but it gets easier if the avatar is used for a rather long period of time (like several weeks).