1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you play the Pokemon TCG or just like to collect cards?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by OzoneFruit, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:
?

Play or collect?

1. I play the TCG! :D

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. I just collect XD

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I play AND collect! :O

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'm kind of in the latter category ^^' As a kid my friends and I were less about learning how to play the game and more about bragging about the rarest cards you could get XD I think some of my favorite cards were the foil Delta Species ones (That wave where Pokémon had different typings than usual.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Borie Broer likes this.
  2. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Honestly I used to buy them just to collect. I could never figure out how the game worked, so I built up a rather large collection instead. I still have them, and they're all preserved in good condition. I don't have anything new though, I never bought any packs after 5th gen came out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    OzoneFruit likes this.
  3. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    I play as well as collect! I think I am the only competitive (Goes to events and stuff) player though this is only a recent change- and even then I like to do "Fun Decks" (Meme decks, my current being Minun-Plusle Donking) more then truely competitive. I have two collections: the OG Sets and Rare Modern Other. I'd say my rarest card IMO is my Golden Solgaleo GX

I also buy a lot of Shinning Legends because I really like the set (Hopes that it will kick off in price in the future with the new Shinning Pokémon), dunno if I'll try to collect all the Shinning Pokémon in this set thou (Im missing Ray, Mew and Jirachi)

If your looking to "get your hands wet" look for the Pokémon Evolutions theme decks I got both of mine for 5$ (They are good decks to learn the game, and you can find them cheap in most commonplace stores because Pokémon Evolutions Set as a whole had horrible cards- it was really a collection only set tbh, but they are balanced against each other and as a small bonus Mewtwo is a nice tech card and you get it in my favorite type of foil as the special card- cracked ice)

4. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    I have learned how to play the game in the past, but I don't really play the game myself, nor do I have a deck for it, I did play the online TCG a lot for a while when it was new.

I freaking love collecting these things though, I don't collect all of them, but I try to collect every foil version of every card of every single one of my favourite Pokémon.
    I used to buy card packs but they tend to be very unreliable when trying to get my favourites, so now I just buy the singles from online websites, unless they're more than 20 euros, I think that's a bit much for a card, no matter how pretty it is and no matter how badly I want it.T_T

I did recently buy a ton of packs that were on sale just to get Tapu Lele, which I'm really glad I did because I got Tapu Lele in the very last pack I opened, I thought I'd never own that card.

#4 Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  5. RWBY Gaster

Root Seed
    (Root Seed)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽489.0
    King's Rock ★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Well I played the online version but dropped it very soon

6. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I collect and play the PTCGO.

7. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,549.0
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I never really got to playing it all that much. When i was a kid, we couldn't afford much, so we would brush these cards off as a big waste of money.

8. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I mostly just collect them. I tend to buy booster packs on occasion to get a taste of artistic inspiration.

Like just yesterday, I picked up a Sun & Moon pack and got an Alolan Ninetales. It's so pretty~

9. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I just collected the cards when I was little. Heck, I still collect them sometimes. I just can't be bothered to learn how to play the card game.

OzoneFruit likes this.
  10. OzoneFruit

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I kinda wanna buy a few packs just to admire the full art cards maybe. Gotta admit, those designs are pretty darn impressive. :O

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  11. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yeah, I'd like to have the full art cards too, though I wonder if it'd be expensive.

12. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    A few of them go for over a hundred, so I'd say so yes, but there are many which are surprisingly affordable, I bought a full art Primarina for 3 dollars from Troll&Toad not too long ago, I think that's pretty good considering the price of booster packs and the low chances of actually getting what you want.

13. OzoneFruit

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    *Looks up list of full art cards*
    *Sees full art card of ya boi*

Welp, I need this.

14. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yeah, I'd only buy if they were less than $10, it just doesn't seem worth it to me to spend that much.

Borie Broer likes this.
  15. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I don't collect as much as I used to and when I did I only occasionally played a game. It was difficult for me to even find people who knew how to play.

16. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yeah, I really couldn't figure out how to play. I'm awful with card games.

17. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I only collect them. I can't be bothered to learn how to play the actual game :P

18. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I don't think I've ever actually placed a real game with the cards. I just liked to collect them. Even if I wanted to play an actual game, I wouldn't have been able to as I only wanted Pokémon that did 50 damage or more, so I had next to no basic Pokémon cards ^^'

19. ShadowJCreed

ShadowJCreed Hex Maniac

Meltan
    (Meltan)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽689.7
    Dome Fossil ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★
    I’ve been collecting since I was 7. I prefer not to play the card game I have an album that I keep them all in.

20. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I've been collecting forever and still am. I have such a large collection that I use two very large screw holder and one three ring binder to hold all the cards I've collected. I'm not the kind of collector who buys every card, I just buy a pack or two and love what I get. One of my favorite non legendary cards that I have are the old multi-types. I have a Gardevoir that psychic steel type!

I do play the TCG online but I'm not too big into it today. The thing is, I didn't know how to play and didn't care about playing until the 2015 world tournament, where I watched every second of it and picked up how to play from watching masters play. The only real thing limiting me from building a competitive deck are the cards and I don't really care enough to get what I need.