1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

do you prefer physical books, ebooks, or both?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by colours, May 30, 2018.

1. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I was having this discussion with a few friends and it's honestly been tearing me apart whether or not I should still go for physical books or ebooks these days. what do you guys prefer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I go for both! They each have their benefits and their downsides. I like the concreteness of a real book - it feels more authentic, it's easier to see how much you've read and how much more there is to go, and, of course, if someone asks you what you're reading, all you have to do is show them the cover. However, digital books are a lot more portable, usually lighter, and easier to buy. Ever since my Kindle died and I haven't bothered to charge it, though, I've been living on real books.

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Poffin and Absolute Zero like this.
  3. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I read plenty of e-books, but I gotta tell you, there's nothing like holding a book in your hands. Feeling those crisp pages between your fingers, smelling the pulp and ink - there really is nothing like it.

4. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    Both can work. Actual books are good for seeing how large the book is, how far you have to go, etc., but e-books are pretty much the weight of the device and can be anywhere.

5. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,645.7
    I love actual books, because I am so used to having a book in my hand. Besides, my dad has a small library of books in the basement of my house.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  6. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I prefer physical books. It's less taxing on the eyes and the pages tend to have a nice smell and feel (well... the freshly made ones in stores)... if that makes sense lol. I also love using bookmarks.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  7. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I overall prefer physical books since it is better for your eyes and you can take it anywhere and no one will say anything, but the ebooks mean that you can read it on any device that you own and with the ebooks, if you have some type of eye problem then you can either have the device read it to you or you can make the font bigger on the screen.

8. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Physical books for sure. If I'm in a reading position and looking at a screen, I am bound to fall asleep. I sometimes do that with regular books, but ebooks just make me want to close my eyes and doze off after a while.

9. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Nothing beats paper. Ebooks strain my eyes even with the low brightness/virtual pages.

10. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,549.0
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    While I do think digital books are more accessible, I like having the physical book to hold and read from. I just like the feel of the cover and pages. Plus, in this era of technology, it's kind of nice to not have a reason to just have ANOTHER piece of tech with you. Same goes for movies, although this doesn't really apply here. While I do like streaming services, I would rather have the movies I really like and would watch again on physical discs.

11. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I honestly like both. Yes, they both have their benefits and drawbacks. But at the end of the day, you're still reading a book.

12. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,275.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I personally prefer physical books. Not only are they feel better, they also have a nice scent. Besides, having a physical object can also protect you from attackers and the like.

WhiteDragonAura likes this.
  13. WhiteDragonAura

Cyndaquil
    (Quilava)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽63.7
    Physical books. I like the tactile feeling of actually holding something in my hands, plus I love adding new books to my little library. lol I tried reading on a digital screen once..I got a major headache afterwards. >_<

14. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'll give ebooks this: they're super useful for getting classical books that are now public domain through services like Project Gutenberg. If ever I want to read Poe or Lovecraft or anything classical philosophy or the things you're forced to read in English class, I can get it entirely free, which is even better than the super-cheap paperbacks that publishers will sell with their own label for a few dollars.

However, when not considering cost and accessibility, I always prefer treebooks as well. The paper always smells and feels good, and it's easier to keep my place with a bookmark than any ebook software I've ever used. Plus, I can fill my bookshelf to look pretentious and cultural.

15. Poffin

Poffin King of Destruction

Alolan Meowth
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,384.2
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    For most books, I generally prefer physical because it's easier on the eyes, the feel of turning the page, and that sweet, sweet book smell. I usually check out books from the library, so space isn't an issue.

16. Darkmaster006

Darkmaster006 PKMN Breeder

Airi
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 48
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,894.9
    Physical books. The problem with ebooks, even if they're kindle and stuff, is that they really do mess with the eyes. Plus, the headaches. Physical books are better for retaining information (since looking at a screen is more distracting and I think you remember better if you read in paper). The downside is that if you read a lot, you can't go on buying every book you need; so ebooks are better in that respect. So, yeah, I think both serve their purposes. But if I had a book in paper and the same book as an ebook, I'd totally read it from paper. What's more, if it's something you need to study for, or you are reading it for research, or stuff like philosophy or history, it's much easier to highlight and make notes in a physical book.

17. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    It really depends. Let's look at eBooks first.
    eBooks are portable and generally more efficient to use. You can download multiple books for a cheaper price than a hard copy. On a Kindle, you can bookmark pages, which automatically saves your process. So you don't have to worry about forgetting which page you are on, or risking losing a physical bookmark. However, there are also downsides. Firstly, an eBook requires charging, and once you run out of battery, you basically can't do anything. Don't forget the fact that eBooks have the same effect on your eyes as phones, now that newer versions have been released. Also, not all books necessarily have a Kindle or eBook version, just bear that in mind. It may also take time to get used to using eBooks if you read normal books very often.

Now let's look at physical books. Physical books are most definitely better than eBooks health-wise, not to mention that reading a physical one seems more satisfying. You can also get books from libraries, which is free of cost, while you can only read a few chapters for free on eBooks. You can also borrow them individually to other people, something you cannot do on an eBook(unless you want to give your entire device to your friend). They are also good to purchase if you prefer using cash. There are also some flaws to physical books. They are often times heavier than eBooks, especially ones made from heavy materials, and are overall less efficient to use.

It really depends on which you prefer: efficiency or comfort. If you like being efficient, I suggest purchasing an eBook. If you don't want to damage your eyes, get a physical book.

18. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I prefer physical books. To me, it's not even a comparison. I've only read one ebook, and that was only because the book was hard to come by. I like to have a physical book in my hands when I'm reading. It has nothing to do with the 'smell' of the book (I never understand this reason that other people give.) I've just always preferred physical copies of things. I like to read actual books, draw on actual paper rather than with an art tablet, and watch movies on dvd instead of a digital copy. Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but that's the way I like things. It may not be as efficient, and probably more expensive, but I don't mind.

19. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Now I'm forced to read a lot of scientific articles for my major and I have to say, Ebooks are a god sent with my eye issues simply because I can make the font bigger. Have you read scientific paper? Their dry as it is and then you throw tiny font and I'm out in 10 minutes (usually I go out in 15 minutes when I read anything because of my eye issues). Reading online saves me a lot of trouble when reading.

However, I still prefer to read physical books. Despite how damaging it is to my eyesight, I prefer to read a physical copy of anything. I just like having something to hold and a clear sense of how far I've progressed.

20. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I prefer EBooks. Seeing I always read a lot books beside from school I have tons of books. An eBook ist a good way to always have them with you. I like it that you can just read any book what is downloaded on the device, and you don't have to carry these heavy books.