1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

does anyone know the secret to a good fan comic?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by FifiandFurrball4ever, Dec 17, 2017.

1. FifiandFurrball4ever

Legendary Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽167.7
    I just started 2 Pokémon comics that I really want to do well

2. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Are you asking for advice? Well, I've never personally written or drawn a fan comic, but I write fanfics... so I guess that's kind of the same, right? ;w;

Anyway, I guess it's important that you have three things-
    1) An engaging plot
    2) Interesting characters
    3) Character development!

A lot of people want to read fan comics that are unique, interesting, bring something fresh to the table. Sure, you can make a comic about someone going on a journey- everyone does that- but what if you up the stakes? What if the protag is actually out to defeat a parent who is the champion? And that parent abuses their power? Or... what if the journey is actually to find and defeat Arceus (Assassination Classroom situation). I dunno, those are kinda wild, but they're just examples.

And it's really important that you have interesting characters so that readers don't get bored of them and turn away. Give them substance! Do you have a character who's really rude or cold to others? Maybe it's because they're afraid of getting close. Do you have a character who's always happy and cheerful? Maybe they have a temper they're trying to control. Things like that.

And I say character development is extremely important because people do change. Our experiences and the people we're around tend to change us, for better or for worse. A rude character won't stay rude forever (or maybe they will, or at least retain some antagonistic traits, but overall are a lot more open).

So, best of luck on your fan comics!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dancey

Dancey Sailor

THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE L E D G E N D
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽133.7
    I have a huge list of ideas for stories (games, comics, etc), and I'm currently working on one (I worked a little on another, but that one's on hiatus for now). I'll list what I really want to focus on while writing the stories. Of course, I'm not experienced, and these are mainly just my opinions, so I suppose you should take this advice with a grain of salt.

A good story has:
    An interesting plot, you have to get the reader engaged in the story, and hook them into the story. I can't think of a good example, all I can say is that my stories are definitely not good examples XD (I'm half joking...maybe--)

Good characters and character development, I put these together because they're both about the characters. The characters must be balanced and have unique personalities, and they must also have good character development. I can't think of an example of a unique and balanced character, but I can give a tip for one. Make sure their flaws balance their good traits, and that their personality is realistic, because no one is perfect in every way, and everyone has their flaws, and that's how a story character should be. An example of good character development is Theo from Pokémon Uranium, at first he might seem a bit annoying and self-absorbed (but he's young, so...), but later in the story, he becomes a bit more serious and melancholic for a reason I won't say because I don't want to spoil it, but it's a good reason.

Organized plot, don't confuse your readers. Make sure your story doesn't have too many twists and turns that don't quite make sense. You can add flashbacks to a characters backstory, which goes with an interesting plot. Just make sure the plot isn't too confusing, the readers must be able to understand what's going on to enjoy it. I don't have any examples

And lastly, passion! Make sure you're passionate about your work! If you didn't want to do it, then why do it in the first place? I think creative activity such as writing is all about having fun, and enjoying what you're doing. So if you're having fun, then that's great! If you're thinking of this as a chore, then you don't have to do it at all. If you want to be successful in writing, then you have to enjoy writing. There are a lot of examples of storied that people have put so much passion in, and I don't believe I have to list them all :)

I think the most important in the last one. Don't work on things that you don't want to work on. You should do the things you enjoy, and if you can make something amazing out of it, then that's great! You're making something big, while also doing what you love! However, the most important thing is that you're having fun, and you don't hate what you're doing. You do better at a project if you enjoy it and put passion into it, after all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...