1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 4 DPPt - Fire Pokémon

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Sheep, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    As those of us who have played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum know, there aren't many fire Pokémon available in the games for you to use. What fire type did you use? Did you go with the fire type starter Chimchar, or end up using another one you found in the wild? Did you use a fire type at all?

I went with Ponyta on my most recent playthrough but it hasn't been going too great, especially since it evolves so late and doesn't have the best movepool. Someone else suggested Magmar. hmmm

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I usually go with either Chimchar, Ponyta, or Houndour.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Currently playing Diamond and I was kinda disappointed that there isn't a wide variety of Fire-types in the region. I was considering getting a Magby but apparently, you can't get one until you get to Route 227 and Stark Mountain, which I believe is inaccessible until you become Champion.

Sigh. I might just opt for a No Fire-type Team.

4. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    When I play Diamond or Pearl, I choose Chimchar as my starter. When I play Platinium, I wait till I get ma boi Houndour.

5. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I don't use fire types, and often don't have fire moves either. :x

6. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    I hate chimchar but I love infernape, so I usually go with him.

I found really weird how there weren't many fire Pokémon, Rapidash is probably your easiest shot.

Edit: I also hate how damn late you get Lucario, it is especially annoying how Riolu doesn't evolve by level.

7. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,372.4
    I never played Diamond/Pearl, I only have Platinum. As far as fire types went, I usually used Infernape, but never used others due to the lack of variety (I don't like Rapidash at all too). As it turns out, there are some Ghost type Pokémon that learn Flamethrower/Fire Punch/Fire Blast, so I usually relied on them for fire type moves.

8. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,861.4
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I just drop the type personally. I tried ponyta once, but like has been said, not the best. There's so many more important, and sturdy types that I don't even bother.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    For the longest time I just used Infernape, but after a while I kind of got bored with it so I started using Torterra for my starter. After that I started using Rapidash, which is really underrated, imo.

10. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I usually choose chimchar. It's my favourite Sinnoh starter and has a decent movepool, so fire-types usually haven't been a problem for me.

During my Nuzlocke run of Diamond, I managed to catch a rapidash. I'd never used one before, and it was a lot better than I expected it to be. Granted, it doesn't learn many good physical fire-type moves, but it survived the entire playthough :D

I've never used the magmar line before, but it and magmortar have great special attack - which is fantastic for fire Pokémon. I guess their low defences might be an issue, but a good nature and/or a high level should lessen that problem.

Or, you could always go without a fire-type and just teach a strong fire-type move to a different party member. It's up to you! ^^

11. Lunar-Peacle

Lunar-Peacle Of Moonlight and a Thousand Eyes

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,317.2
    I usually go with whichever I find in the wild, while playing Pokémon Platinum. I was torn between using Rapidash or Houndoom for my final team. In which when I choose Houndoom, I have to train it by a lot in order to match it up to the current Gym Leader I have to fight (At this point the next closest in levels would be Candice)

12. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    that moment where you don't even remember how magmar evolves. Something to do with a stupid red companion cube or something.

13. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,971.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    There was only like 3-4 fire types to use doing story playthrough iirc, I often ended up using Ponyta since you could encounter that one pretty early but in Platinum I tend to lean towards Houndoom.

14. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I think you trade a magmar while it's holding a magmariser or something? I've never evolved a magmar before, but I think that's how it goes

15. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,971.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Yeah you have to trade it while holding the Magmarizer, I've never really used one myself since I've always had other options and trade evos are such a hassle to get.

Mandriel likes this.
  16. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Oh yeah... the trade thing, the reason I never use it.

17. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,861.4
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Generally if I was replaying and I wanted a fire type, I had collected most of them, and could breed a fresh young baby to play with.

18. Cadbureon

Anima
    (Litwick)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8.5
    I did use a Ponyta a few times when playing Diamond for the first time. It didn't last very long though and in the end I stuck to teaching my Pokémon fire-type moves. Same thing with Platinum minus the Ponyta bit.

19. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I went with Ponyta the first few times I played Diamond and Platinum, I really liked it then, but since that time I also opted to just not use a fire type

20. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    Don't forget the mandatory copy of LG/FR on your slot2 to get Magby or Elekid!

There weren't many fire types that felt like more than a placeholder for other team options as of gen4, which is sad. I also used Rapidash in my very first playthrough of DP. What a coincidence, huh...?