1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Drawing Techniques or Tutorial Help?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Sterotyper, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sterotyper

Sterotyper Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I'm not sure if I am posting this topic in the right place, apologies if I am doing it wrong. Anyway, I see myself as a Hobbyist when it comes to drawng, sketching and doodling. I really want to improve but I just can't seem to get what is in my head onto paper. I really need a lot of feedback and critism, but I'd appreciate if any of you could share techniques and tutorials with me. I try to draw one thing every day to help me improve, somedays I acheive more than one drawing. Thankyou in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Snivinerior

Snivinerior Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.1
    Well, practice makes perfect... I've done a lot of practice before what I am today. To share you some of my techniques: don't harden the strokes of your pencil, it messes up the paper and makes it harder to erase the mistakes you committed. Number two, references, they help a lot. Number three, hmmmm... learn how to use an image editing software, when your output didn't turn up the way you want it to, it may save a lot of time and paper plus, it makes your life easier. Number four, if you commit an error, don't quit and start over, just erase the mistake and continue...

So that's some of my techniques... Hope I helped.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sterotyper likes this.
  3. Sterotyper

Sterotyper Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Thanks very much, I think I do need to use references more. When I think of a pose, it doesn't always come out how I wanted. BUt I'm also guilty of doodling without purpose and that doesn't seem to work very well for me. I think practice seems to be whats maybe going to help me out. Thank you again.

4. Banshee

Banshee Pokémon Professor

Gregg the Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽62.1
    References are wonderful to use~ I have a huge folder filled with them on my computer so if I ever need to look at how something is standing or a face example, I can always go back to it.

Also when I get a cool idea, I quickly do a super rough sketch of it on paper, doesn't matter about mistakes or cleanliness (I usually do mine in pen xD), just as long as I can understand what it is supposed to be. So when I do decide to continue this drawing, I have my own rough sketch to look at when drawing it.

If you have to scan stuff into your computer and you have an issue with pencil lines (even if you erased them) showing up on an art program, there is a special type of pencil you can actually get. I think they're called "Non photo blue" pencils. They're about a dollar each and you can find them in craft stores. They're really handy because you don't have to erase them (as long as you don't press hard on the pencil while drawing, I've tested this >:3).

Sterotyper likes this.
  5. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    one of the best things i ever leaned was proper anatomy. even if you don't use it in perfect proportions or even draw realism, its good to know exactly how things work and where things are on a body. once you learn anatomy and get comfortable with it its easy to push it and and play with proportions to get a unique style. this is true of anything you draw, from people to animals to mystical creatures. it all starts with bone and muscle. my suggestion is to try life drawing or going to the zoo and drawing some animals. i did this a lot in college and it really helped me out.

Sterotyper likes this.
  6. Sterotyper

Sterotyper Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I'm going to have to check my craft store for one of those, I'm always adjusting the contrast and all sorts when I scan my work in.
    I do really badly at anatomy, so thanks very much I need to study as much as practice art, it seems. Thank you to all of you, I've found these suggestions very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.