1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Easy Mode and Challenge Mode

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Wizard, Feb 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 brought forth a first in the mainstream Pokémon games: difficulty modes! If you beat White 2, you had to option to play easy mode, and if you beat Black 2, you had the option to play challenge mode.

Did you ever play challenge or easy mode? Did you actually find challenge mode challenging? Do you think Pokémon should try to bring back something similar to this in the future?

I never got the opportunity to play challenge mode or easy mode, since I only own one of the versions of the game, but from what I can tell, is that challenge mode wasn't that hard to begin with. Also, considering the fact that you have to beat the game to unlock easy mode is kind of strange, because the point of easy mode would typically be to make the game easier for new players. Idk, it's just some thoughts that I had.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. faceless

faceless Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽5.0
    Never played challenge mode nor easy mode because of how poorly they were implemented. I've heard that because of the high levels of the trainers, challenge mode is actually easier because you don't need to grind.

I don't see the point of easy mode because you had to have already beaten the elite four and champion to activate it.

Maybe ROM Hackers could edit bw2 so the challenge mode is in the beginning. I know that bw2 have little to no rom research done on them though, so this is probably easier said than done.

3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Yeah, post-game easy mode seems weird. Unless you're activating it on someone else's game for a first-time experience, there's really no tangible gain there. Plus Pokémon games tend to be way easy anyhow, and any difficulty can be handled with grinding.

I'm actually hoping this is re-implemented and expanded to be available on a first playthrough regardless of which version you're playing. I think it would be great to be able to choose a difficulty mode at the very start of the game. For instance, after Professor Tree asks you if you're a boy or a girl, he then asks you if it's your first Pokémon adventure. Yes means you get to play easy/standard mode, no means you get hard/challenge mode. Gym Leaders and high-ranking Team badguys have 5-6 pokes each, AI is smarter, all that good stuff. Maybe even a supported Nuzlocke-like mode or other modes built in, but those seem less likely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I saw it appear on my screen once: "You have unlocked Easy Mode!" and I was like "Oh, okay." I agree with Zero Sifr: having an easy mode introduced in the postgame is a bit weird. I really hope Pokémon will insert such modes in the games though, just not at the end but at the beginning. Even though it's Pokémon, I'll probably be tempted to select Easy Mode anyway lol

5. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I never touched easy mode but I did have a lot of fun with Challenge Mode. I specifically nuzlocked White 2 on challenge mode by transferring the key. I really hope this feature comes back as it was a neat challenge. I would like to see the system improved as the last one was weird seeing how you had to beat the game to unlock them.

6. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Both modes were introduced in a really poor way, after you'd completed the main story which meant that if you wanted to actually play any of the modes properly you'd have to start over. Only introducing each mode to one version was a really bad decision as well since that meant if you hard White 2 and wanted to try out challenge mode you'd have to exchange data with a Black 2 just to get it. I've played entire games in challenge mode and let's face it is actually only slightly harder in the start and not really a problem later on but the game mode is a nice touch to nuzlocke runs. I've never touched easy mode because let's face easy mode is not something the Pokémon games ever needed. They really should just have had challenge mode in both version from the start and completely thrown out easy mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.