1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal Emeralds in the sea: Emerald playthrough

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by ValorVolcarona, May 23, 2019.

1. ValorVolcarona

ValorVolcarona Pokémon Professor

BrowsOnFleek
    (Alolan Geodude)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽947.5
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    (Yeah I don’t have as creative of a title for this one sadly... but I’m open to a better title...)

As the (boring) title suggests, this is a playthrough of Emerald. (It’s also “in the sea because you know, there’s a lot of water in Hoenn...) I’ve already gotten pretty far in the game. I “recently” defeated Winona and went through the trouble of going through the Aqua hideout, which was frustrating. I ended up going online to figure out how to do it. Anyway, with that out of the way, I was able to progress to Mossdeep City to challenge the Mossdeep gym. But first, I definitely needed some grinding.
    [​IMG] My team before grinding. Neuf, the Vulpix, is holding the Exp Share because it’s a Fire type and I’m not using it against Water types.
    I desperately wanted to evolve Vulpix, so I looked it up again. Turns out there was one in the Fiery Path, so I took a break from grinding in the sea around Mossdeep and went to the Fiery Path.
    [​IMG] I found and caught a Grimer, which if I’m not mistaken, is harder to find in Emerald. Here’s me naming it SludgeLord.
    I was a bit confused on the little Strength puzzle at first, but after a solid minute, I got the Fire Stone (and the TM for Toxic which I happened to find there too).
    [​IMG] Yay! At some point I swapped the move Imprison for Grudge, which may help at some point.
    I was sick and tired of grinding against just Tentacool and Wingull, so I healed up my team, bought some Super/Hyper Potions, and went in the gym. I knew Tate and Liza fought in doubles, but I didn’t realize everyone in the gym fought in doubles. Yeah I made it through fairly easily. I healed up my team and saved right in front of them, in case I lost.

I lost badly. My team was also severely underlevelled, everyone being at least 3 or 4 levels weaker than theirs. Luckily I saved in front of them, so I reset and tried again. I lost again. I kept trying and kept losing. But I was figuring out their patterns, and started planning for it.
    [​IMG] So here was my master plan. It was very difficult to decide who to lead off with, and what to do. I originally wanted to save Sableye for later, since it is a Dark type, but it wasn’t working out for me. After 5-7 attempts to battle them, I decided on this as my setup.
    Fortunately for me, after I wrote out my plan, I got lucky. Sceptile got a crit with Leaf Blade and down went the Claydol. Its Earthquake easily tore through my team, so that was good. Out came Solrock, and Xatu went for Sunny Day as opposed to Calm Mind, which would also rip through my team. Sableye went for Shadow Ball and got its health down to red. Sceptile fainted unfortunately to a Psychic from Xatu.

Then came out Gardevoir, who used Calm Mind to set up, and Sableye with the Shadow Ball again, to rip through the Solrock. Then Gardevoir used Shock Wave, which annihilated the Xatu. Last was Lunatone! I never got to the Lunatone! So I used the aforementioned Shadow Ball and Shock Wave to finish off the Lunatone and win me the Mind Badge, for the first time. I also got the TM for Calm Mind, which I probably won’t be using any time soon. I decided to stop here.

[​IMG] Right after the gym battle. I’m honestly surprised only Sceptile fainted, considering the other 6 or 7 tries, everyone fainted.
    [​IMG] Everybody healed up! As you can see, my team is still pretty weak at this point in the game, so next time we’ll have to go grinding again. Also I really want Lairon to evolve!

That’s all I have for now. I would’ve posted this on Monday (when I originally started playing) but I had to go to my brother’s graduation and never got a chance to challenge Tate and Liza, which I was about to do. Tune in for the next post (which won’t be for a while). And feel free to come up with a better title!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...