1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ever come to hate your own story?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by nduns, Nov 9, 2017.

1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Have you ever written a story that you were really happy with at the time only to reread it later on and feel it wasn't anywhere near as good as you first thought it was?

For me, there have been a few that I find average at best now, but there is only one story I've written titled 'Nobody Has To Know' that I truly hate now, so much so that I've basically removed all traces of it. Not only did I delete the files containing the story but I also removed it from FF.net when I realized just how horribly written it was. A few people did chew me out for this story (Though only one of them actually gave constructive criticism) and, yeah, while I appreciate the many people who stood up for that story, I have to agree with the haters now. It was, in my eyes, the worst thing I had ever written.

Again, you ever feel that way about one of your works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    That is how I am with all my stories, I used to love to write but as time went on and I reread the works it was terrible. I just can' t enjoy what I have to write since I am not all that creative.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I've never read anything of mine that I hated,I often notice all the cliches and writing traps that I fell into, and I typically enjoy how odd and strange they are. Typically though I feel a desire to correct and revise them rather then a dislike for them. Perhaps I still see the potential that past me saw in the idea.

4. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    Well, I've only written one story (so far) and I have my motto:

FEEL NO SHAME

5. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    yup, in fact, i've hated a lot of my stories! however, i didn't put them on ff.net because i didn't have ff.net at that time when i wrote them (thank arceus -shudder-)
    but even though when i reread my stories from ages ago i start screaming, "cringe alert~!" irl, i'm also happy that i scream that, because it means that i've improved enough to be able to see the flaws and loopholes in my story. maybe i was too caught up in writing it that i failed to notice the problems, so when i reread it, i know how to avoid the problems!
    i don't usually rewrite the cringey scenes though?? i think it's because i like to keep my old writing and in future look at it and go, "holy arceus, i've improved so much!"
    so now, when i write stuff for ff.net, i usually wait for a week or so before i post it. it's because after a week, i'll be able to look at it from a reader's point of view, and spot the flaws!
    i think this is why it's good to have a beta reader. however, i myself don't have a beta (would anyone here maybe like to beta for me? you can read my works on ff.net, i'm candescentstars :)) so i can't give a concrete statement as to whether betas are really that helpful, hehe. :D

6. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I have buried my earliest fan fictions in the dark recesses of my laptops and storage boxes. Once in a blue moon I will look at them again to remind myself of what NOT to do.

Recently though, no I can't say I haven't disliked any of my stuff. I feel pretty confident nowadays, and I get a ton of feedback from people to make sure I get it right. :)

7. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    The storyline for my future comic has gone though a lot of changes for this very reason. ^^;;;

8. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Yeah, pretty often ^^;; Actually, it’s like that for me with my currently longest story. There’s some good chapters, but overall it just isn’t good, nor is it an indicator of my true writing capacity. I’m wondering how my senpai could review it so positively-

9. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Oh, I believe most people look back on their older works (or at least their first works) with a sense of confusion and some small embarrassment. You wouldn't even think of doing or writing things like that now, so why did Past Me think that was a good idea?

But that's how we learn. Rarely are we at a point where we're satisfied later down the line. What you do then is probably much different than what you do now, so it makes sense to look at your older works differently. It doesn't always blossom into outright hate or dislike; it can manifest into something like confusion or incredulity. But whatever the reason, most people will look back at a past work and think "What on earth was I thinking back then?"

It's very possible that you may look back a few years from now on your work you made yesterday, and think the same thing. But as time goes on, and skill and practise gradually increase, the odds of this happening diminish. I think it's the process of finding your own style and being satisfied with it, and at first, 'finding your own style' is something you/we hadn't done yet.

10. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    This happens occasionally. I usually just lose interest in most of my stories, but with the one I'm working on now, I'm starting to feel a real dislike towards it. I like the idea and all, I just don't feel like I'm executing it properly and that I'm missing something vital, leading to me getting frustrated about it.

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Hahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHA! THE PAIN! I've written 8 fanfictions but I've only published two and I've removed the first one I published. Its not that I lose interest. Its that I hate them. I hate how cringy the plots are. I hate how I execute them. Even with my most recent fanfic, the Eev of Conquest, I used to love the story but now I'm slowly growing to dislike it because of all the flaws that I see with the story. I get this all the time. It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist too. I don't want to dislike my stories but I slowly grow dissatisfied with them.

12. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,673.0
    I've written stories when I was younger, but as I look back on them now, they are bad. The grammar is horrible, spelling mistake galore, I didn't exactly knew what I was doing. But luckily I never posted them.

13. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    This has only really happened with one of my stories. I mean, of course I reread my stuff from three, four years ago and cringe or laugh, but that's usually as far as my emotions go. Even if I delete something from FF, I still have it on a doc or on Microsoft Word. I don't usually reread them though.

When I was in fifth grade (and sixth, actually), I had this story idea that I thought was absolutely brilliant. It was based off of the Emily Windsnap series, with the idea that mermaids and humans can interbreed. It was focused around a princess, a halfling convict, and some sort of comedic relief. I can't remember exactly what she was. In any case, at the time I loved it. I thought it would eventually become a debut trilogy and it was brilliant and I would end up publishing it someday. But I actually hate it now. I hate its cringy plot and its terrible characters, I hate its entire birth and the unrealistic things that happen in it. Most of all I hate that I actually thought it was something to be proud of.

I hope I never end up with something like that again.

14. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Occasionally I'll go back to the first book of my fanfic, thinking it was so much better than the later books. The story was simpler, but the writing as atrocious.

15. SleepyKid

SleepyKid Bug Catcher

Xan
    (Charmander)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.1
    omg all the time!! hate it that something promising and exciting at some point can turn out horrible when you come back to it after a while.