1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ever imagine a soundtrack while writing?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by nduns, Feb 27, 2018.

1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    As the title suggests, while writing, do you imagine some sort of background melody to go with a scene? I for one do it almost all the time, especially when writing action scenes. It helps me visualize the scene better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Geroniny likes this.
  2. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I deliberately go out of my way to find music that fits the scenes and listen to it while writing (mainly action scenes). I have a hard time visualizing exact actions that a character would do or say, but when I listen to music, I see what's going on and I can play with the characters in ways I never thought before. Music is a must for me when writing action based scenes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I also try to find music that fits for what I'm writing. In any sort of scene, I tend to have music playing in the background while I'm writing. Sometimes if I really get into writing though, I'll just zone out and not realize when the music stops, then I can just keep going until I realize it stopped.

4. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    In my case, sometimes when I write, the most recent song that I listened to will pop up in my head and start playing, so I notice the tune, and sometimes that tune puts me in a mood to write a certain way.

But do I actively try to do this? No; I actively try to do the opposite - music ruins my train of thought, so I have to clear anything out of my mind and senses that isn't the story if I want any surety of producing anything good.

5. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    honestly whenever I'm writing I try to find a playlist of music that fits the story and go from there. Music helps to drown out anything that isn't my computer when I write so thats a plus side I guess?

Most of the stuff I listen to is really slow because I tend to write more emotional things over sappy fluff.

6. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Yeah, but I'm no musician so I don't have anything original playing during scenes; the soundtracks are from various games, anime, and movies.

7. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Only sometimes, but like others said I usually have music playing while I write. Also, in my experience, authors will suggest music to play while reading the chapter, so there's that.

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    For me, it's really a sideline thing. Sometimes I'll think of a musical themeing per character, like this character will have Gojira songs, this one will have remixed Mega Man X soundtracks, etc; and I'll find 3-4 songs in those categories for different moods. Something upbeat, something defeated, an action theme, and something else that just fits. Really I don't put much effort into it, largely because my music taste is pretty narrow. Metal of most varieties, video game OSTs, and just a few scattered pop-ish songs going back like seventy years. When 40% of my music is of just one genre, it's hard to get variety.

9. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I usually have music playing while I write, and when I don't I often believe that the writing isn't as good. I even go and try to find music that fits the scene that I'm trying to write at the time.

10. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Oh, all the time. I just hum little tunes in my head more than half the time I'm drawing something. if not, I'm usually just listening to ambient music to fit the scene I'm drawing. XD

11. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I don't write, but whenever I'm imagining scenes (in my imaginary worlds, with my own characters) there is usually background music, especially if the scene is playing out like a movie. I also do this occasionally when I draw (but only when I'm not actually listening to music).

Geroniny likes this.
  12. Sykone Babblin'

dog pls
    (Mystery Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.2
    nah but if I'm listening to one, normally I go into this really deep concentration trance that makes me forget to eat and is hard to snap out of haha. It's a bit worrying but by the end of 3 hours id find that I wrote a whole novel!

13. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★

I Also Do The Same For Each Story And The Background Meldoys Always Varie In Each Story.

I Have The Same Case As You Sometimes.

#13 Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
  14. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    like a lot of other people, i have music on when i write! it's sometimes a whole soundtrack, but sometimes i'll put a single song on loop, because it matches the mood of what i'm writing.

15. Lexatom

Lexatom Contributor

Mythical Egg
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽46.5
    I used to make a lot of stories that consisted of the characters being based off members of the forum on an old forum I was on. I would constantly have music playing in the background while typing up certain parts of the story. For instance, during an action scene, I would listen to some battle music (Fairy Tail and Bleach OST come to mind for me) to visualize that scene.