1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Writers, How do You Decide When to Evolve a Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Nova Ozuka, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Everyone has their own way of deciding when a Pokémon evolves in their story. I haven't used evolution much in anything I've posted anywhere, but that's why I'm asking around!

In a side story I'm writing for Pokémon Resonance, the Shinx belonging to Jack Powers had been in bad shape, thanks to a Mega Pidgeot used by Fawkner. I had the Shinx in question, Atlas, evolved while battling a wild Growlithe because he was Jack's only Pokémon and the fact that he was still recovering from the beating he got from the Mega Pidgeot he faced before, so naturally I had him close to evolving.

How does everyone else decide when a Pokémon in their story evolves?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I think the common time is - as with the anime - during critical moments in a battle, as those build up the most excitement for the audience.

Personally, though, I've never approached the subject, so take it with a grain of salt, I suppose. :sweat:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. flareon71

Legegg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽392.1
    Well, I... write Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfiction. So I probably shouldn't be answering this question. I'm gonna offer my take on it anyway.

I do agree that evolutions should happen as a sort of crutch for when a Pokémon is in a critical state, with appropriate build up of course so it doesn't seem as spontaneous or convenient. Evolution is a milestone after all!

But I suppose the way I've implemented evolution in my fanfiction works show that perhaps evolution events can work in other ways. Like I had this Sandshrew wander off from her momentary Ninetales guardian and next thing you know she came back from Luminous Forest now a Sandslash. The Ground type in question wasn't introduced that long, so yeah, no buildup, but her evolution proved to have some important effects in the long run. Sometimes evolution doesn't have to be a climactic plot point. If you're a Sandshrew who tends to wander then oops, you might accidentally become a Sandslash. Best case scenario, really.

I got another one, while I didn't exactly show evolution, it was brought up heavily for when my Shinx and Vulpix duo decide to finally evolve to help deal with another dang apocalypse. However, both were hesitant in the act because they did spend that much time together getting used to being their Shinx and Vulpix selves. Yet, the stakes are high, Pokémon are out here falling like flies, so they really have no choice but to take that extra step for themselves and their loved ones. There's no going back, but at least they have nowhere to go but forward.

That's really all I have to say about evolution instances in my fics. Slight comedic twist and a melancholic point of development. Or maybe I'm just throwing out bad examples. Take these as you will. Have a good day! :D

4. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    *Looks at stories for Pokémon* All but two of the ones I have are for the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. As it happens, I evolve them when the moment is at its direst, unless I have a reason not to, as seen in Meteor's Shards. Sometimes, and I do this more often, I wait until the end of the story to do such a thing. For the human realm, it's after a "promise" has been fulfilled and they've reached a certain point of their life. I guess I just wait until it's needed or deserved for the character. So, yeah...

5. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I think taking an anime stance is much better than a game evolution stance. Imagine if all Pokémon evolved directly after a battle, but not during one? It would be pretty repetitive and eventually readers would expect a pattern.

I agree with @ShinigamiMiroku —critical points in battle make a lot of sense, writing-wise. Don’t forget if a Pokémon gets extremely emotional, wants to show off to its trainer, or evolves out of love.

6. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    The more “important Pokémon” have more dramatic evolutions. For example, Bigjaw will evolve into Feraligatr when he sees Bronze is willing to take on an ultra beast on his own to protect him. This would tie into another part of bigjaw character Arc where he feels anger and hatred for the beast and protecting the trainer who had been the first human he began to trust, which triggers his evolution.

But my more normal Pokémon that aren’t like bigjaw just have normal evolutions. But Pokémon like Bruno evolve through stubbornness when he battles the kahuna’s mudsdale.

There are even cases of evolution not taking place because the Pokémon are captured when they are fully evolved or have no evolution. This would just lead to character development. Night Wing is a fully evolved shiny charizard but I like to think he’s interesting because he was a rare shiny kanto Pokémon in alola. I even go as far as to dedicate a segment of us backstory and showing off his evolutions and life to give readers more insight into why he acts like he does.

And venom, the Seviper, is just more of a fun character that’s not as complex as the other mons.

7. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I try to stick true to the game so when a certain Pokémon fulfills certain conditions it evolves. Also bear in mind that some are different than others. Some that you can evolve right off the bat such as Eevee, Growlithe shouldn't be given evo-stones to instantly evolve right at the beginning of the story. It's just like how we grow up as human beings, we'll learn new things as we get older.

I have different Pokémon evolving at different times to keep it fresh and not repetitive like in intense battles. Some will do that and some will just randomly evolve around the time where it's appropriate. But I already have checkpoints in my writing sandbox to where all of my characters' Pokémon team evolution will occur, it's kept spread out to remain significant...since it gets a little old if we have someone evolving every two or three chapters.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  8. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    Honestly it depends. If I have a bunch of Pokémon involved that are evolving at different times, I change things around. Sometimes it's more important but usually I have it more casual. I don't really know how to describe it lol

9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Evolve a Pokémon when it makes sense. This is far easier said than done. One way of doing this is as mentioned before, evolve during a climatic battle. This makes sense as the Pokémon is reaching deep with in themselves and drawing out their power to over come the obstacle in their way (rather poetic when you think about it). Another way is as stated before, to have the characters try to force themselves to evolve for some reason. Training is another option. Pokémon and their trainers often train to get stronger and this would be a valid excuse for evolving (at lest a less exciting one). Another way is when you are forced by someone else to evolve. This would have to have careful planning and good writing skills to pull off, but if done right, you could have a very emotional story. There are many other options that make sense to evolve a Pokémon, but most of them are tailored to a specific story and I've already said enough. A Pokémon should evolve when it makes sense to evolve them, no sooner.

10. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Hm, well in my fanfic I look at what points my characters are at. Example. Firoxy (I use fakemon a lot) evolves into it's second form when Pikachu and Ash who have been good friends to it are in trouble and it's not strong enough to help. But with one of my other character's Pokémon which is an Eevee, she evolves for her trainer to be like another eevee she saw who is a gym leaders Pokémon and wiped the floor with Ash, Alex and Lily (I made Lily up she is the character in my profile pic)

Finally some Pokémon I have do just evolve when certain conditions are met and some Pokémon I have have the option to evolve but refuse to like Pikachu always does.
    Aquabit (the Pokémon up there in my profile) who belongs to lily doesn't evolve the first two or three times it get's the chance because it doesn't yet consider itself as strong as the water type gym leaders Icanny and if its going to evolve it wants be at the same level. It eventually does but y'know reasons to prevent itself are strong.

I guess it honestly just depends on the reasons you're Pokémon need to evolve or in some cases the reasons why not.
    As a funny note Firoxer (the evolved form of Firoxy) doesn't want to evolve into it's final form because of something it wont be able to do but eventually does anyway putting ash at a disadvantage in his next battle. because it's a good Idea to play of evolution as some form of disadvantage too at times.

11. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    I've just written two stories for Pokémon on my account on FF.net. And, I havent evolved any of the Pokémon. You can say that I dont really concentrate on Pokémon in my stories. Humans are the main thing.

12. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I like a lot of the things that I'm seeing here. I imagine that any Pokémon evolving around Level 16 should evolve either during or after the second gym battle in Johto, seeing as how that's when the starters tend to evolve. Probably good to look at milestones like that. Of course if a Pokémon evolves before then, there should be a good reason depending on the requirements.

For example, Zero has a Chikorita and a Buizel. Normally he wouldn't get to evolve his Chikorita until after defeat Bugsy, and his Buizel roughly until his third gym. However, he has been training with an Alolan Trainer that has at least passed Sophocles' trial (I seem to remember her having access to Gigavolt Havoc) in her interrupted Island Challenge, so her starter is on the verge of evolving into Primarina, which I didn't think about until playing through Ultra Moon.

As a result, maybe those two should be on the verge of evolving before the Azalea Gym?

There's also the friendship requirement for certain evolutions, which can either be met quickly, or take most of the story, and then evolution items like stones are not easily acquired usually. Even when they are, that isn't always the best time to evolve Pokémon requiring them in the case of stones as they seem to have poor movepools at least in the cases of Arcanine Ninetails and Raichu.

Of course, there should probably be a Pokémon evolving during major battles, like if, for example, the writer wanted to reenact one of the movies. Let's say in a story I decide to reenact Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. Two mythical Pokémon and a bunch of Megas. That sounds like something a Pokémon would probably evolve in the middle of, if planned right. Of course it shouldn't be limited to just big or important battles. Maybe after a battle occasionally, like in the games, or even while training especially after a big loss.

It also doesn't have to be the main character's Pokémon. It can also happen for anyone they battle, which I've often seen in one particular story. Ashes of the Past specifically had some examples in Gym Battles no less iirc. I would say more in this post, but I think I've said enough for one post.

13. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    For me personally, I build up to evolution. I hint that a Pokémon is getting ready for evolution (Charmeleon being fascinated with flying, Squirtle listening with cautious curiosity when evolution is being discussed. That sort of thing). I do this throughout the entire story, and actually have evolution talked about a lot between the trainers. This way I'm prepping my readers that evolution is coming so they won't be thrown off when it does happen (I'm writing an au where some of Ash's Pokémon that he never evolves actually do end up evolving, and I'm kinda paranoid about killing nostalgia here). As for the evolution itself, it usually happens as it does in the anime, at a convenient moment where that little bit of extra power can aid in a battle or life-or-death situation. It makes things more dramatic, and kinda easier.

14. The Eccentric Axolotl

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,415.8
    Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★
    When it comes to evolving my characters, I usually go by how they would evolve in the games and apply it to my stories, and find the appropriate time for it. Say if a bulbasaur were to reach around the level 16 mark in its journey, that would be when I would evolve it. Or alternatively if an eevee character wanted to evolve using something like a water stone I'd have some actively pursue one as a testament to its determination and persistence... Or more realistically, buy one at the pokemart.

15. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I haven't gotten far enough along in my pkmn ff to evolve anyone's Pokémon yet, but I figured I would do it when the story demanded such. Most of them will evolve off screen though.

16. jmoul18

Gwen
    (Kirlia)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽36.3
    Gardevoirite ★★★★Poké Ball ★
    I usually mix the timing of the levels in game I'm writing about and the anime element of using critical battles or moments to trigger an evolution. (Gwen's evolution to Gardevoir in Chapter 24 of Brendan's Journey is my example)

17. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Depends on the story. Normally I like it to be when the character is alone. But other times I want it to work in my favor of being in a critical moment. Like I'm writing a rough draft where her mother has died but her mother always reminded her of critical moments since her Pidgeotto became Pidgeot as her mother fell off the cliff with the main character