1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fav games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by JunieBee, Jun 5, 2021.

1. JunieBee

JunieBee Youngster

Scrambled
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6.1
    Hey ya'all, what kinds of games do you favor? (Outside of Pokémon of course). Do you have a favorite genre or archetype? What kinds of games are incompatible with your tastes?

I like games that give you options but also a clear purpose. Doom gives weapons and says murder things; Mario is a platformer to rescue a princess from a giant turtle. Star Dew Valley lets you do what you want in strict time and space confines with clear progression. I also really like building games like Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. Civ 5, Mount and Blade, and Metroid Fusion are some other titles I often come back to. I like clear mechanics and being allowed the creativity to play with those as I like.

In terms of games I don't like, I think most shooters are carbon copies of each other, and I don't really touch them besides CSGO. Games that are overly quirky like Borderlands turn me off, while most giant open world exploration games feel hollow to me. That's not to say all of them are bad, but I think most open world games I've played haven't been worth the investment, and it turns more into a slog of completing it. I think too many games build giant worlds that just kinda repeat themselves.

2. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,047.8
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    My favored genres are platformers, action games, roguelikes, mobas and adventure games. I always have a good time when games have responsive and satisfying controls, Ori and the Blind forest is my best example of that, the jump arc feels great, the power ups are fun and kicking off walls and projectiles to get around is so satisfying. The Donkey Kong Country series is my classic go to for platformers as well, finding all the secrets, getting that perfect jump arc and chain, that feels great. I am by no means a master at any of these really but I enjoy getting better and beating the challenges they bring. Action games is pretty broad but it fits best for some of the stuff in my library: Katana Zero, Doom Eternity, Broforce, Slime Rancher etc. Again the controls play a big part in this, the movement options in Doom feel great, the pace of Katana Zero let's you get in the zone, Broforce is both funny and fast paced, Slime Rancher is adorable and lets you explore a bunch of neat environments, finding a bunch of secrets along the way.

Roguelikes are an overall more recent love of mine that started with Binding of Isaac but has since grown to a few other indie titles like Enter the Gungeon, Noita and Rogue Legacy. Finding new synergies, getting a bit of progress every run or just unlocking new things feels good and is a rather addictive gameplay loop.

For games I don't like, I am not overly fond of horror games, they often have pretty simple and boring controls or outright strip the power from the player character so you feel weak. I understand why but it is not something I look for in my escapism. Similar kind of thing with wartime shooters, they don't do much for me graphicly and the guns feel pretty same-y from game to game. If I am not playing with friends then I don't have much interest, I do enjoy watching people like ZLaner and Doctor Disrespect play them but its 90% for the personality more than the gameplay.

Here comes the controversial pick, I have grown out of my love for JRPGs over time. I have less free time as an adult now and I don't have time for hours of cutscenes and pre-ambles. I still have a great respect for those games and I love their artstyle but I just don't have time to invest in them anymore :(. Kinda similar with RTS, learning some of the more complex ones would take a chunk out of my day that I would rather spend having a good time with friends in a moba or blazing through an action game.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I've spent a lot of time recently thinking about what kind of games I like the most and what the consistencies are between them. For me, I am everywhere with genres. In my top list, I probably have representatives from most genres.

My favorite two games, as anyone that's ever talked to me about games knows, are Persona 5 Royal and Xenoblade Chronicles. These two games are the ones I have forged a sort of emotional connection to because of their emphasis on characters, story, etc. As much as I like games that I find purely fun, I feel like experiences like these two that bring me those deep and satisfying experiences mean the most to me even if I think their gameplay is not as addicting as other titles. A big thing to note is how much I love each soundtrack too. The part of the game that influences me when I am not playing it is the soundtrack.

The next class of games I like are Mario Kart Wii and Donkey Kong Country 2. These games are super different than the first two, but are infinitely replayable for me and I can always return to them. Both soundtracks are amazing in their own right (although DKC2 takes an edge). Coconut Mall on one side and Forest Interlude on the other, I really can't go wrong listening to them. They control super well and exactly how I want them to. Nothing turns me off to a game faster than bad controls. Plus they have Diddy Kong. You gotta have Diddy Kong. And Funky Kong. That's the sign of a good game.

You can see the aforementioned threads make appearances in my next several favorite games. Skyrim is meaningful to me because it helped me get through depression. Super Mario Odyssey controls amazingly and gives a ridiculous amount of freedom in movement. Symphony of the Night has a ridiculously cool protagonist and really great movement options. Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) is super replayable and broken. Kingdom Hearts II has an amazing combat system. Fire Emblem Awakening is super broken and has some of my favorite characters. Celeste is the best controlling 2D platformer I have ever played. All of these games have some absolute bangers on their soundtracks too.

There are certainly some commonalities in what I like such as good controls, good music, replayability, something for me to form an emotional attachment to, Funky Kong, and games that are broken, yet fun. No game that I've played has all of these, but some come close. But that's okay, I don't need perfect, I just want to have a good time :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I'm a big platformer guy. I don't play many games but Mario, Shovel Knight, and Mega Man are 3 of my favorite series out there. I also love Smash for kind of similar reasons

5. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    My favorite games outside of Pokémon are

1. Monster hunter franchise
    2. Soulsborne
    3. Any rhythm game
    4. various 90's shooters (doom, blood, quake)
    5. killing floor 2

Many others too but when it comes to game genres I like.

RPGS of all kinds (OFC)
    Rhythm games
    Shooters
    Rogue likes
    Platformers
    Fighters
    Horror games

I don't vibe with

Racers
    Visual novels