1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Favorite Mystery Dungeon Boss

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Bubbles, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    What is your favorite Boss from all of the Mystery Dungeon games? Mine were Team Meanies (Gengar, Medicham, and Ekans). They weren't too much of a challenge, but they were my favorite because they were absolutely hilarious. They tried to be all fearsome and intimidating, but instead the never accomplished anything and failed epicly. XD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I'm going to put this in spoilers due to it actually spoiling a lot of the plot from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time.
    I love Dusknoir. He was such a plot twist in the game. Everyone in the game praised him so much, had so much respect for him, and trusted him with their lives. The moment he kidnapped the player, everyone was in shock. Tbh, I was even scared. This kind character had lied. He was help plotting for the end of the future. His surprise/ reveal was incredibility shocking and it really made me admire him as a boss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BadPandaPancham

BadPandaPancham PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    The original Primal Pokémon, Primal Dialga. Just kidding, but for me it would be the same as LostSpirit, especially since that Pokémon is one of my favorite Pokémon in general.

4. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Yeah, I have to agree with LostSpirit as well.

I really liked the storyline in the Mystery Dungeon games, and Dusknoir was a great character. I really enjoyed those games from beginning to end, and it is very memorable to me

5. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Oh I definitely agree with Astral and Lost here, that plottwist tho

6. guimartgon

guimartgon Competitive Blog Writer

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    The "Groudon" You battle early in the game in MD2, I thought it was pretty badass to take on such a thing so early in the game

7. Malc Modnar

Malc Modnar Collector

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    That's easy: PMD: Explorers of Sky's final boss.
    Oh, did you think I meant Primal Dialga? Because I didn't. That title goes to Darkrai.

This guy was brilliant. His first plan involved backstabbing the god of time and tearing down the foundations of reality, and he succeeded! It took time travel and a healthy dose of divine intervention to stop him!

His whole scheme was undermined, so how does he respond? Not by just trying another plan like the average villain, no... he does the smart thing and decides to eliminate the only threat to his plans before proceeding. So he tries to convince the player and partner to commit suicide, and when that doesn't work, sics the god of space on them while continuing to make them doubt themselves! If not for an extremely (un)timely intervention by Cresselia, he would've succeeded!

It's only when all three of his initial plans fail that he even reveals his direct involvement, in the most impressive way possible: by telling the heroes exactly where to find him, and inviting them to walk into a trap they can't ignore. So he drags the heroes through one of the most grueling dungeons in the game, greets them calmly ("You've kept me waiting.") and drops the bomb on them: he was responsible for everything. Every disaster, every misfortune, every last tragedy was his doing. And then...

"I've had a change of heart. Both of you are brave. You've shown great initiative. To be rid of you forever... seems like a tragic waste. You've both shown so much promise... why not join me? Why not join me... in ruling a world of darkness? It is certainly possible if we band together."

The arch-villain, the mastermind, the living nightmare, asking you to join him! And it works! Your trusted partner, the friend who's stood with you through everything agrees to join him! And the exchange that follows is among the most heart-wrenching moments in the game:

"...Maybe Darkrai... is right. Who are we kidding? We don't stand a chance against Darkrai anyway! It's pointless to resist. Joining Darkrai... it may be the best thing to do."

"Mwahaha... you chose wisely. Very practical of you. Now, what will you do? When you are one of us... our first order of business will be Cresselia there. The three of us shall get rid of her together. Come, join us here."

"Please come here. If you won't join us... Darkrai surely won't want just me... he'll get rid of me."

"Mwahaha... your choice? Will you join us?"

"The world of darkness is going to be wonderful..."

"You see? Your trusted partner has seen the truth. Will you not rule the world with us? And you shall... reign as a lord in the world of darkness."

That is villainy. That is evil. To turn one's closest friend against them, to offer one's greatest foes a chance to serve... simply brilliant. Of course, Darkrai's deception is revealed - the previous exchange was a nightmare he created. But even then, he has a backup plan: an ambush, against nearly impossible odds.

Even when what should have been a certain victory fails, Darkrai has one last plan: flee through time to restart his scheme when there won't be anyone to stop him. In this, he makes a single mistake: he stops to monologue, and is rewarded with a literal deus ex machina. It takes a direct attack from Palkia to prevent Darkrai's success.

And that is why Darkrai is the superior villain, and my favorite of PMD's bosses.

8. Treekos

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Well, mine were Team Meanies too.

Those were the best times! *_*

9. Angel-Mander

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Darkrai, when you put it that way, is really awesome, but I'm going to have to go with Rayquaza from the original games.

The memories, along with sky tower being my favorite theme from any Pokémon mystery dungeon game, just made rayquaza the coolest one for me.

10. 8-Bit-Eevee

8-Bit-Eevee Crow of the Tempest

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Oh jeez. It's hard to speak after Malc.

I've got to say Primal Dialga. No, not lame-old main story Primal Dialga, but the one which appears in special episode five. The whole experience of playing through that is something I'll never forget. There were lots of things that I should've expected, and yet didn't; while on the other hand, there were things that I simply did not see coming at all.

For example, I should've realized Dusknoir would betray me yet again, but didn't.

Despite Dusknoir's betrayal, though, Grovyle still trusted Dusknoir, whom rescues Grovyle in the end. Primal Dialga appears and attacks Dusknoir (and the Sableye), at least until time begins to flow again and the enraged legendary Pokémon flees to Vast Ice Mountain.

You can feel it as your party of Grovyle, Celebi, and Dusknoir confront Dialga. Things are about to get real. As dawn breaks, the final battle begins, and no matter who wins, all of you will die... But you must win, for the sake of the future of the past.

To me, it felt like a timed battle, almost. The four Pokémon are literally disappearing from existence as they fight, both sides giving it their all. I forgot that it was only a game for the duration of that battle. And when Grovyle, Dusknoir, and Celebi emerge victorious, they do not celebrate, because they know they're about to disappear, right after Primal Dialga.

Dusknoir has finally done something good, no, great, and even though he must sacrifice himself to do it, he is happy. Dusknoir actually went from my least favorite character to one of my favorites during this special episode.

"Grovyle... Please tell me... My... my life... Did it shine?"

"Yes. Extraordinarily."

"...I am glad... I-I... I am... up to the very end... not wavering... Honestly... I lived... Because of you, Grovyle... Thanks to you... Thanks to you... I... I have no regrets."

Then, we get a cute/beautiful scene of the sunrise, with Grovyle watching it with Celebi in his arms. Finally, the two disappear...

"...Being able to see the sun before the end... And being able to see it with you... I am really glad that I am alive... I am really glad..."

"I am too."

"Goodbye, Grovyle... I... I... I am so happy..."

...Only to come back again along with Dusknoir and Dialga, which I probably should have expected, yet I did not. I didn't find it repetitive either.

That battle with Primal Dialga is something I'll never forget anytime soon. Anyone can change... Anything can be done... And some things are worth dying for.

11. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I haven't finished Explorers of Sky yet, so I'll choose from Explorers of Time.

Hmm... I liked the Primal Dialga boss, haha. I know it's probably not a very creative choice, but the music was just plain awesome and the challenge was adrenaline-pumping!

12. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    My first REAL boss ever was Primal Dialga, and I was truly thrilled when I defeated him.
    But I think I'd still stick with Dusknoir being the greatest boss. Other's already explained why (plot twist, dôh), so I'm not going to do that.

But my favourite boss was actually Spiritomb. I know, it's weird, since he's more of a semi-boss. He just really freaked me out, and I don't know why, but he was a VERY tough cookie for me to defeat.
    And I liked Drowzee as well. He was the first "boss" I defeated, and as soon as I had to go to school, I was literally thinking about how to defeat him (I was playing as a Pikachu back then, I still remember that, and I decided to paralyze him first. Cuz dôh, I'm an Electric-type!). And as soon as I got home, I managed to defeat him. I was only eleven back then, I hadn't played that much Pokémon games yet and my English was almost nothing compared to now, so that was a huge achievement for me :D

13. TrainerRythin

TrainerRythin -- The Diamond Tactician --

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I'm with 8-Bit-Eevee on this one, that fight was pretty epic. Dialga was a real pain though when I first fought him. Fought him at minimum twenty times before I won.
    urgh...

14. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Primal Dialga! He has such a cool design and is a great, menacing character overall. I love his music too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.