1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Favourite Gym?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Pixel, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    In the Pokémon series, one of the main goals of the game is go around the region and battle 8 Gym Leaders, defeating each then qualifying you to enter the Pokémon League. Over the years, we've seen some interesting Gyms, and I wanna hear about everyone's favourites!

Going by each region, I don't really have a favourite Gym for Kanto. I'd probably just say Vermillion City's Gym because of how trolly it is, or Cinnabar Island's Gym because of how the volcano on Cinnabar (that was never there in Gen I but also was in Gen II?) erupted and destroyed the Gym, but Blaine just rebuilt it in a cave because Wynaut?

For Johto's Gyms, my favourite definitely has to be Ecruteak City's Gym. I've memorised the tiles that you can step on in both the original and remade Gym, and it's the perfect place to level up my Extrasensory Togepi in HGSS since Togepi resists Ghosts~

Moving to Hoenn, I really liked the Sootopolis City's Gym. Ice puzzles are kinda my thing, as Johto's Ice Path was my first ever glimpse at Pokémon when I was merely 4 years old, and I really like the way it looks, especially in ORAS.

In Sinnoh, my favourite Gym is a toss between Eterna City's Gym in Platinum and Canalave City's Gym in every version of Sinnoh. The flower clock in Eterna is just so adorable, but I do love me some zippy platforms.

Unova has so many interesting Gyms, but my favourite would have to be both iterations of Castelia City's Gym. The thick honey walls of Black and White were so odd, and the chrysalis teleporters of Black 2 and White 2 looked stunning. The BW2 Gym also has my favourite music in the whole game. A close second is Iccirius City's Gym, with it's beautiful ice puzzle~

Finally, in Kalos, my favourite Gym would have to be Lumoise City's Gym. I always battle all the trainers there for extra EXP, and they're so cocky and it's great.

So, which gyms were your favourite, and why? Comment down below, and don't forget to include reasons! I always love me a good childhood story.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    Nice idea, I'll go by my favorite one by region!

Kanto- I like Janine's Gym from Heartgold and Soulsilver, it's really cool how all the walls are invisible, it makes for an interesting challenge. Although it isn't "Gen 1" persay, I still think it's the best gym in Kanto.

Johto- Claire's Gym in its awesome puzzle complexity has got to be my favorite gym in Johto. I love the moving platforms, and how hard it can be to figure out some of the motions. It has a well designed and tricky layout with difficult trainers. Gr8.

Hoenn- Although it has always been a big pain in my rear, I am a big fan of Flannery's gym. It has been the cause of a lot of anger in the past when I haven't been able to find it, but it's a neat idea, and I think it was designed well.

Sinnoh- Maylene's Gym was a bit of an interesting one, and I quite liked it. I found it difficult visually to try and navigate the gym, but I like the general theme of the gym, and a lot of the smaller details included.

Unova- Burgh's Gym from BW2 has got to be my favorite gym ever in Pokémon. I love how the cocoons work, and how you have no idea where exactly you're going when you enter one. I also like the surprise trainers that'll pop out of the cocoons, it just adds to the surprise. Also, Burgh's room itself is pretty neat, with its rainbowness being displayed fully.

Kalos- I'm going to have to go with Clemont's Gym. I love the trivia that Bonnie does, although the trivia is super easy. Also, I like challenging the other trainers there to help me get even further ahead with exp. (Thanks X&Y Exp Share)

Those are mine ^_^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pixel likes this.
  3. Heavenly

Heavenly Just Smile!

PokéPoints:
    ₽83.2
    Hm, this is a tricky one for one region, but for most of them I have an idea of it.

Kanto:
    Kanto didn't exactly have the most noteworthy gyms, but my personal favorite is Blaine. He has a fun gym, he's a challenge if you're unprepared for him, and you can't just challenge him without a burn heal!

Johto:
    Johto's leader for me has to be Jasmine. She's very memorable as a trainer and probably has the most "development" that'll you see in a gym leader excluding Iris, and has always been one of my favorite leaders. Unlike the other Johto leaders (excluding Whitney for most people, she only gets me like every once in awhile), Jasmine was one of the hardest there for me and she is a great character as well as leader to me.

Hoenn:
    I have personally never really liked Hoenn, and this is one of the hardest for me to decide since I don't particularly care for any of them. If I had to choose any, I'd go with Fortree, Winona's gym. Main reason being she's my favorite leader design wise in that region.

Sinnoh:
    I'd have to go with Volkner and Sunyshore gym being my favorite. Sunyshore is the most iconic city to me because it features my most likely favorite gym leader, Jasmine, in Platinum and I find Volkner to just overall be one of the more interesting leaders you'll meet in the game. Not only that, but he proves to be an experienced battler, and his gym is one of the most unique to be honest.

Unova:
    I'd have to go with Roxie from Black and White 2. She's got an explosive personality, is a fun leader, and usually comes to mind before Koga and Janine's gyms for a Poison gym.

Kalos:
    My favorite here has to be Shalour with leader Korrina. I feel like they took this opportunity at the right time yet at the wrong. They introduced the concept of Mega Evolution at a perfect time, as you've become used to the game's mechanics and are starting to prepare a good team, but they should have held Korrina's gym till near or at the end. She's that leader you WANT to beat, one that is involved in the story and is more interesting than many in the past. She is tied with Jasmine in my list of favorite leaders, mainly due to how she is set up at that time in the game.

Pixel likes this.
  4. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Kanto: Lt. Surge's Gym, I loved that trash can adventure he made you go through and those extra trainers who were inside his gym really helped tell a story about this rough leader you were about to face. Also in the Anime it was one amazing episode that made me love Lt. Surge being this amazingly strong leader like self. A gym leader was meant to make you work hard, not one hit every Pokémon they had so he really fit the bill.

Johto: Claire's Gym, everything she put you through, so much character, she just fit the ticket as a great leader. Some people thought her gym was ruined with all the tasks she put you through but I think it helped show how far she had come and how this huge battle made her feel all at the same time. The way we had to go and complete a task for her was kinda fun as well and led you to a new area to discover.

Hoenn: Flannery's Gym, I loved that trap door puzzle, I like puzzles that are small and on your feet, so this cool trap door puzzle she sends you through was just an interesting way to send you through. She also really didn't rely on the fire type aspects which made her gym unique, it was done in its own way and wasn't shoving a type in your face like other gyms.

Sinnoh: Crasher Wake's Gym, I loved this gym leader, he was one of my favorites just on personality. Then to come into this complex water puzzle gym, it was so intriguing to work with water levels and try to find the pattern to get you through the gym. Also with this design I think that it worked well with its element since it wasn't just a dock through everything but a real puzzle.

Unova: Skyla's Gym and Drayden's Gym, that cannon event was such a treat and it was so interesting to navigate since it just went all over the building, I took a lot of time just going in the cannons for fun before even fighting her. I loved the graphic on it and I can only imagine if that went into the anime. Then Drayden's Gym ties with it, this one for the puzzle design and the graphics, it was just an interesting complex puzzle design to work with, everything you had know from the past gyms went out the window as you attempted to work through the fact you never knew where you were going.

Kalos: Grant's Gym, Grant made a whole set up we had not gotten to try yet which was climbing, without using a Pokémon, just on your strength. Also the interesting way there were items around like it was just a wild set up. I loved the atmosphere and the constant view shifting this gym gave. He was also a smart leader in how to make you work and the animations that went with the gym were just spectacular.

5. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I'm not going to go by each region because I'm just going to list my favorites.
    -Goldenrod City Gym: I liked how it was shaped as a Clefairy and Whitney as a gym leader.
    -Sootopolis Gym: Ice puzzles are fun.
    -Eterna City Gym: Giant Flower Clocks are cool.

6. timberjacke

PokéPoints:
    ₽59.9
    The Coumarine gym is my favorite gym ever. The whole tree house is gorgeous and the fact that you can swing on tree vines just adds the beauty and where the gym leader resides is just so darn beautiful. It's like a pretty reading nook with an awesome balcony view! <3

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Kanto gym: I guess that would be Koga's gym. When playing Blue as a 4 year-old I figured out the puzzle before my elder brother. He wasn't too happy with me. Hehehe

Johto Gym: Now that I am older and have played both the original and the remakes, I have to say Morty's. He was one tough trainer to beat for my team.

Hoenn Gym: Winona's gym, it is different from a typical Flying gym and I really like it even after all these years.

Sinnoh Gym: Gardenia's Platinum gym the clock was so pretty!

Unova Gym: Drayden. It fit so well with the type.

Kalos Gym: Viola's gym. I liked the rainbow-like web with the dew drops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.