1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Staff Post Feature Wishlist

Discussion in 'Valor Archive' started by Ryan, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    After the move, we lost quite a few features. While some won't be making a return (such as the rotator feature of the background), we may be able to have someone code some new or old features back. We currently have these planned:
    - Toggle name glows on/off
    - Toggle between circle and square avatars
    - A better background changer

I'm not sure if it's possible, but personally I would love to figure out how to have threads automatically posted at a certain time, indefinitely. There are add-ons that allow you to schedule posts, but only one at a time and you can't set it to repeat.

What would you like to see?

It's important to mention that this is just a wishlist and nothing is promised or guaranteed to come from it. It's going to depend a lot on our financial situation and how essential the feature is to the site's functionality.

#1 May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Full RGB coloring for the fonts? I have this one color I really like

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    This is already possible! :) If you have the hex code for it, do this:
    Code:
    [COLOR=#ff8000]test[/COLOR]
    Replace #ff8000 with whatever color you like.

Syaoron the Fox likes this.
  4. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    *whispers* animated (gif) banners on profiles *melts away* >W> heh
    edit omg the colour thing is actually automated don't even have to type a code!! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    The one thing that comes to mind is functional BBcode in status updates. I know before, the codes functional there were b, i, u, s, br, url, and spoiler (not img at all); I might have missed one or two but those are definitely the ones I remember.
    It's certainly not a high-priority thing, but it could be a bit of a nice thought.

There's also a wish for @mentions in status updates, but I don't remember if those work now or not. I want to say that they do, but I don't recall when I saw one recently.

Edit: Two other things I thought of to include again - while I was in the shower, no less.

:: A feature on the profile that catalogues how many posts you've made in each forum (the 'stats/graph' function on Old Valor). I don't mean for it to return in graph format or anything, just some sort of list that says how much you've posted where.

:: An improved member list & search function. I don't know if this can be done due to the complexity of the coding involved, but the search function as-is currently sucks. If you can do it, though, that would be both amazing and a miracle.

#5 May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  6. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I'd personally like to see more fonts. 8 admittedly boring fonts isn't cutting it for me at the moment. Also I want to see strikethrough come back to the text editor (this thing that im typing in) instead of having to type out a BBCode code every time I want to be sarcastic.

I also kinda want to see the "who's been online today" thing that was at the bottom return, but it kinda feels like a useless feature.

I'm not sure if this can even be done, but maybe change the size limit on profile pics? I used to be able to have a profile picture larger than 100KB. Once again, not sure if that can be done though.

7. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I would like to see the return of the monthy post statistics. I found this very useful, but I know there were money issues before so it was taken away.

Another cool return would be able to see member groups. (people in admin group, mod group, etc) I really liked just looking at the lists but I also feel like this may be mroe of a useless feature lol.

8. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    These are all probably silly but whatever.

Okay, I know that we can use custom colors (the colors that aren't in the pre-set menu), but I'd like to see an actual color spectrum built in to it. I think it would be quite the process to go look up a hex color code and insert BBCode for just a simple color not provided on the menu.

Maybe we could also have the strikethrough tool in a more convenient place? I was quite confused on where to find strikethrough until I found it in the "insert" tool: something that I did not expect in a million years.

This is probably the stupidest one of the bunch, but I'd like to one day view the profiles of banned members instead of an error message. I don't know why, I think it's a nice touch to explore LV's past in a way.

Anyway, I'll second something said above for something less stupid: the search members function isn't good. At all. I also have a pet peeve on how it takes you to "notable members" as it makes the community look a bit small and like only these 10 people are worth remembering. Just a silly nitpick, but I'd like to see the search become a bit better.

Edit: I'd also like to see the return of retracting some of the sidebar sections (like important topics, new threads, all that stuff on the right).

#8 May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Felt the same way as well till I realized it's in the "Insert" icon next to the Pokéball.

I would like daily post statistics to come back.

I would like something where when you press "quote," the message quoted pops into your reply box instead of clicking other buttons to get there.

10. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    If you don't want to click extra buttons and just reply to one post, click "Reply" instead. Otherwise, that's just how multi-quote works I'm afraid!

Vigilance likes this.
  11. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I remembered two more that just came to mind (in addition to the ones I noted above):

:: The ability to approve or reject follow/friend requests from people. I know the friends function is a bit of a mess as it is, but I would look forward to the ability to at least screen anybody who wants to send a friend request, rather than it just popping up on my screen and I have no idea who the person is.

:: Notifications for people on your friends list when they post new status updates on their profiles. This is, strangely, absent - even though almost all of the other possible notification options (posting on your wall, replying to your statuses, replying to statuses you've replied to, etc.) are all present.

12. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I guess what I meant to say was like after you choose to multi quote, then you click "insert quote" it still asks you review everything which is an added click. Not sure if there's a way to make that shorter though.

Also got another idea:
    A special name/glow for the current member of the month. It's not permanent but if "User A" is the member of the month, we know that because they have a special colored name and it shows in the "Who's online" thing at the bottom. As soon as the new MOTM is chosen, the old one loses it and the new one gets it. Similarly, they can get a unique userbar that is taken away at the end of the month and bestowed upon the new MOTM.

Also they can have like 3x PP per post and some PP perks. Currently it seems like the only thing MOTM gets is just the plaque on the front page.

13. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Maybe for the first one - I don't wanna get too many huge files on the site cause it could slow it down. But I also have to look into if it's possible.

Strikethrough is in the editor now. Which fonts would you like to see? Any Google Fonts are very easy to add. :)

What size are your profile pictures usually?

We may look into a "Who's Been Online Today" feature as well.

I'll look into getting monthly post statistics again - no promises though.

I'd like to see this return as well. We're still figuring out how the memberlist works, because even the admin settings are counterintuitive.

It's actually fairly easy to find a hex code not in the menu, but I would also like to see this added. I'll make note of it.

Strikethrough is done - try now. It's set to responsive mode, which means it won't appear in the new position on smaller screens. It can still be found underneath the "+" on mobile and small screens.

The whole search system is in the process of being remade - I actually installed a rework last night; however, it takes ~12 hours for it to build our search index, so I'm still waiting on that before I push it live.

Made a note about statistics.

No plans to change this - just click reply, or use the manage screen.

You know I wish for this as much as you do, but... I don't think it's possible. There currently is no 'friend' system, which is the biggest let down of xenForo in my opinion. Basically, it's just "following" and "followed". If it's mutual follows, it turns into "friends" (I think). The only reason it even has the word friends is because I manually changed the phrasing. I'll need to change it back just to clear things up, I think. It's really confusing and just... bad. I imagine it would be too expensive to fix, but I really wish for the follow system to be scrapped entirely and replaced with friends. :(

This would take a lot more manual management than you'd think, and I'm not keen on adding any more usergroups. Every time we add an add-on, we have to tweak them, and it's very easy to mess up one permission then have it become a long process of fixing.

Forgot to include this in the multi-quote.

BBCode is now functional in status updates, and mentions already work. :)

The new search system is still updating, it should be live relatively soon. But... I need to figure out that member list. It's a nightmare.

-----

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, everyone!

Vigilance likes this.
  14. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    I wasn't sure whether to post this as a bug, or as something for the wish list. However, right now, this thread seems to be getting a little more attention than the bug report thread, and the thing I noticed isn't really 'a big deal', so I'm posting it here.

When displaying "Users Online Today", the names aren't in alphabetical order. I'm assuming they appear in the order they logged in, at least for right now. I'd like to see an alphabetical list, at least, but I don't know if that's possible.
    Along those lines, I think we had a Users Online Right Now on the sidebar at some point, but it isn't there right now, so I assume it's being tweaked? Either way, I suppose both of those things are for the wish list. I understand they're rather complicated beasts, so I understand if they aren't fixed for a while (or at all).
    Disregard this bit; I'm just blind. It's there.

However, there is a bug in that the Users Online Today list has a comma at the end of the last member there - which is weird, because I know it wasn't there before.

#14 May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  15. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I would like to request another feature if I may. I would like the option of seeing members old usernames. This was very helpful before and I would love to see a return.

16. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    Uncovering this topic because I thought of something.
    I'd like to see the option to customize member titles return. Just inputting text is boring and it makes things look that much more fancy when you can give it colors and add in images like before :3

17. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    You can actually do this! It's something you can buy from the shop. Scroll up and take a look at Skittlebox's user title.

18. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    *whispers* Tab BBCode. It would be great for shops and other areas like roleplays.

19. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Could you specify a bit further? This sounds interesting but I'm not sure what you mean (sorry).

20. JellyBunnyBeans!

JellyBunnyBeans! PKMN Breeder

Cuti
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.3
    Basically it's a piece of BBCode that allows you to create multiple tabs for your post. Each tab is contained to the post it belongs to
    It looks a lot like this (From another Xenoforo site I use that has it). It's great for organising things such as Roleplays as you can have atab for Participants, Information, Stats etc etc

Changing tabs is simple, all you need to do is click the next tab to change what is displayed. Think of it like spoilers ramped up to 11 with the ability of keeping it in one area
    [​IMG]

Achromatic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.